We place these stickers on all air conditioning buttons to create awareness of the environmental impacts
We manage ECU's energy through the “Energy Consumption and Production Program”. The aim of the program is to reduce energy use and to work towards producing clean energy. Currently 95% of our electricity comes from coal-generated sources and the remaining 5% is from clean green sources of electricity.
Our targets for the Energy Consumption and Production Program are to:
- Reduce carbon emissions from (2008 Carbon Footprint Inventory) electricity by 10% by 2020.
- Remain in top quartile of Tertiary Education Facilities Management Association (TEFMA) benchmarking each year for carbon emissions (EFTSL + FTE) for Australian Higher Education Providers.
- Maintaining certification of ISO/ANZS 14001.
In 2012 ECU was the second lowest user of energy of Australian Universities that undertake TEFMA benchmarking.
In order to reduce our energy use we have introduced energy saving initiatives across our campuses including (but not limited to):
- Installing the most energy efficient new lighting available (LED's, T5's and T8's);
- Adjusting the settings on air conditioning systems to minimise energy use;
- Installing meters on individual buildings to monitor energy use; and
- Setting IT equipment to power saving modes.