Personal safety on-campus also includes protecting your property from theft and vandalism.
- Never leave personal property (purses, laptops, mobile phones) unattended. Take these items with you when leaving a classroom or lecture theatre.
- Park your bike in racks provided and always lock it.
- Residents of student housing are advised to:
- never open exterior doors to strangers or non-residents; and
- never allow large sums of money to accumulate in your room, open a savings or cheque account.
Avoid laptop theft
Laptop computers are prime targets on campus. To help you prevent the theft of a laptop, or aid in its recovery, we offer the following tips:
- never leave your laptop unattended;
- keep your laptop away from accessible windows where a thief can quickly break the window, reach in and remove the machine from your room;
- secure the doors to labs or office spaces whenever your laptop is left unattended;
- if possible, keep your laptop stored in a locked filing cabinet or secured with a locking device;
- record the make, model and serial number of your laptop and devices associated with it;
- apply Micro Dot anti theft technology to deter theft (for more information, see Asset Custodians within your faculty/centre);
- report the theft of your laptop immediately to Campus Security;
- report suspicious activity to Campus Security immediately; and
- don’t leave your laptop unattended in the library - it takes seconds for a thief to walk away with it.