can request that high demand electronic items and physical items are held in
the Reading List/High Use Collection for student use:
- Physical items - books, video recordings and CD-ROMS
- Electronic items - links to database articles and scanned PDFs
physical items can only be borrowed on a short-term basis and the
electronic items are available 24 hours a day through the Reading List System
(RLS) found in the Blackboard site.
your items to include in your Reading List you may wish to consider the
- One copy of a physical item per requested campus is usually sufficient. More may be added if the same item is required for multiple units.
- Contact Library staff if you wish to recommend materials to be purchased for the High Use Collection.
- PDFs do not need to be supplied if the item is available in one of the Library subscription databases (e.g. ProQuest). Simply complete the full citation details for the article, chapter, etc. within the Reading List System in Blackboard.
- Other items in PDF format must have the Electronic use notice at the start of the item.
Copyright restrictions for electronic items
Copyright Act and the AVCC Copyright Agency Limited (CAL) Part VB Licence,
various restrictions are imposed on the amount of copying which can be done for
the electronic high use items. Limits apply per institution (across
all of ECU, not per unit of study) and include:
- 1 chapter or 10% of a book, but more if the book is out of print or out of copyright.
- 1 article per issue, but more if the articles are deemed to be of the same specific subject matter (e.g. a themed issue).
- Limits apply across all book editions unless the editions are markedly different.
- The whole or part of a literary or dramatic work in a published anthology if not more than 15 pages.
material that exceeds the limit set by the Copyright Act, you may be able to
obtain permission in writing for this from the copyright owner, using the
Copyright permission request form.
information about copyright, see our Copyright web
page and the e-Reserve Copyright Policy.
Your campus library staff can help you with any queries or you can
contact us via email at Reading List / High Use Collection