Anaesthesia Crisis Resource Management
The Anaesthesia Crisis Resource Management (ACRM) course aims to develop crisis management skills applicable to all emergency, and potential emergency, situations that may arise in anaesthetic practice.
This course enables multi-disciplinary anaesthesia teams to work and learn together as they would in their usual work environment. The course covers the key principles of crisis resource management and explores the dynamics of effective team communication.
Educational sessions and practical ‘hands-on’ skill stations complement the realistic critical event scenarios played out in the fully-equipped, purpose built operating theatre. The very life-like high fidelity simulator responds appropriately and extensive AV equipment supports the scenario debriefs, which are conducted by a trained CRM instructor.
- anaesthetists - specialist and non specialist;
- senior anaesthetic registrars;
- anaesthetic trainees;
- nurses from operating theatre/anaesthetics; and
- anaesthetic technicians.
Minimum two years experience in anaesthesia
Knowledge and skills
The objectives are to:
- have participants learn generic principles of complex problem solving, decision making, resource management, and teamwork behaviours during clinical care in order to prevent, ameliorate, and resolve critical incidents and crisis situations;
- have participants improve their medical/technical, cognitive, and social skills in the recognition and treatment of realistic, complex medical situations.
Attitudes and practice
- have participants build their capacity for reflection, self-discovery, and teamwork, and build a personalised tool kit of attitudes, behaviours, and skills which characterise expert performance through highly intensive and highly interactive instruction, critique, and feedback in a realistic environment.
- intensive hands-on training;
- clinical skills and drills training;
- pause and discuss scenarios;
- immersive simulations; and
- problem based learning.
- part-task trainers; and
- low, medium and high fidelity manikin simulators.
Course format and duration
This one-day course has the following features:
- activities focus on realistic simulations of serious and rare anaesthesia events;
- all participants have an opportunity to manage a simulated emergency as the key clinician;
- anaesthesia practice is discussed amongst peers; and
- strict confidentiality is maintained.
Australian and New Zealand College of Anaesthetists
$1,172 (includes GST)