Contact Information Telephone: (61 8) 6304 5348, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Campus: Joondalup, Room: JO6.209a
Dr Anne Harris is a Project and Research Manager in the Office of Teaching and Learning in the Faculty of Business and Law. Anne chairs ECU’s English Language Proficiency Committee and is a Member of the Faculty Curriculum, Teaching and Learning Committee.
Prior to entering academia, Anne was an English teacher and then Adult Education Officer at an NGO. Anne lectured in Education and Humanities at ECU from 1990-2006. She then did some ESL teaching and spent a year as Senior Research Officer at the Office of Native Title.
- PhD (Murdoch)
- MA (UNSW)
- B Ed (La Trobe)
- GDRE (ICE)
Awards and recognition
- 2012 - ECU Vice Chancellor's Award for Service to the University
- 2011 – Dean’s Award for Excellence in Innovation
Current research areas and interests
- Academic and English language learning support
- English language proficiency
- Main interest revolves around current trends in Teaching and Learning
- Until recently, research focused on contemporary social movements
Recent research grants
- 2014 - Assessing the Impact of Work Integrated Learning (WIL) on student readiness, Griffith University, Office of Learning and Teaching grant.
- Harris, Anne J. (2003). ‘Dare to struggle; be not afraid’. The theology of struggle in the Philippines. Quezon City: Claretian Publications.
- Harris, A. (2007). Blurred boundaries: The merging of Christianity and Communism in the Philippines, in Hogan, L., May, J., & Daverth, J. (eds.) Conflict and conciliation: Faith and politics in an age of global dissonance. Dublin: Columba Press.
- Harris, A. (1995). Liberation theology: The conscientisation of religious education. In, Raduntz, Helen. (ed.) Potential and opportunity: Critical issues for Australian Catholic education into the 21st century. Blackwood, S.A.: Auslib Press.
- Harris, A. (2013). Identifying students requiring English language support: What role can a PELA play? Journal of Academic Language & Learning, 7(2), A62-A78.
- Harris, A. & Ashton, J. (2011). Embedding and integrating language and academic skills: An innovative approach. Journal of Academic Language & Learning, 5(2), A73-A87.
- Barrett-Lennard, S., Dunworth, K. & Harris A. (2011). The Good Practice Principles: Silver bullet or starter gun? Journal of Academic Language & Learning, 5(2): A99-A106.
- Harris, A. (2006). The theology of struggle: Recognising its place in recent Philippine history. Kasarinlan: Philippine Journal of Third World Studies, 21(2): 83-107.
- Harris, A. (1994/5). The liberation of religious education. Religious Education Journal of Australia, 10/11, (2/1), 2-7.
- Harris, A. (2013). Identifying students requiring English language support: What role can a PELA play? National AALL Conference, RMIT, 14-15 November, 2013.
- Harris, A. (2012). We’re in the news:“Uni launches compulsory English test”. AALL Symposium, University of Sydney, “Assessment and development of students' English language proficiency: What is your institution doing?”. May 25 2012.
- Harris, A. & Ashton, J. (2011). Embedding and integrating language and academic skills: An innovative approach. Forging new directions in Academic Language and Learning, National AALL Conference, University of South Australia, 24-25 November, 2011.
- Barrett-Lennard, S., Dunworth, K. & Harris A. (2011). The Good Practice Principles: Silver bullet or starter gun? Forging new directions in Academic Language and Learning, National AALL Conference, University of South Australia, 24-25 November, 2011.
- Harris, A. & Ashton, J. (2011). Integrating academic and language skills within management units. Teaching and Learning Forum 2011, 1-2 February, 2011.
- Giles, M., Yong, J. & Harris, A. (2011). Can high fail rates be reversed?: Attending to literacy needs in foundation economics. Quantitative Analysis of Teaching and Learning Forum, University of Melbourne, 11 February, 2011.
- Harris, A. & Ashton, J. (2010). In-course language support: Working towards best practice. ECulture 2010, November 5 2010.
- Harris, A. (2010). Addressing English language proficiency in a business faculty. In Educating for sustainability. Proceedings of the 19th Annual Teaching Learning Forum, 28-29 January 2010. Perth: Edith Cowan University.
- Reviewed David Suzuki’s book, Time to change. Published in The Western Review, October, 1994, 14.
- 1990: Wrote, with Graham English, study guide for the film, Romero. Distributed nationally by Filmpac.
- Guest columnist for Belief and Beyond column, The West Australian, August 15, 1988.
Papers presented prior to 2009
- 2008: Oxford Round Table (by invitation): Religion: The politics of peace and conflict. Paper accepted for presentation: ‘Making a commitment to ‘Offer body and shed blood’: Revolutionary Christians in the Philippines.
- 2004: Paper presented at Religion and the Politics of Peace and Violence: An International Interdisciplinary Conference in Dublin, Ireland: Blurred boundaries: The merging of Christianity and Communism in the Philippines.
- 2000: Workshop participant at Conference entitled, Religion and Culture in Asia Pacific - Violence and Healing
- 1999: Paper presented at 1999 34thWorld Congress of the International Institute of Sociology at Tel Aviv, Israel. Paper called “Dare to struggle, be not afraid” included in section - Comparative studies of social movements – research and theory
- 1998: Paper presented at National Conference of Australian Association for the Study of Religions: The Theology of Struggle in the Philippines
- 1988: Paper presented at National Conference of Philippine Studies of Australia Association: A Call to be Prophet, Philosopher and Poet. A Study of the Social Movement, the Theology of Struggle
- 1997: Paper presented at National Conference of Australian Association for the Study of Religions: The Origins of the Theology of Struggle
- 1995: Paper presented at National Conference of Australian Association for the Study of Religions: The Pastoral Origins of Liberation Theology
- 1993: With Carey Burke. Paper presented at conference, Ethics Issues in Pastoral Care and Religious Education: Religious Education and Ethics
- 1993: With Carey Burke. Paper presented to local AARE meeting: Liberation Theology and Religious Education
Research student supervision
- Doctor of Philosophy, The Lived Experience of God and its Evolution in Children and adolescents.