Dr Sophie Kennedy
|Telephone:||(61 8) 6304 2660|
Sophie was assigned to the Faculty of Business and Law (FBL) as Supervising Instructional Designer by the Centre for Learning and Teaching in 2003, and joined the Office of Teaching and Learning at FBL as Lecturer: Educational Development and Technology in 2006. She coordinated the migration from print to online learning environments in the faculty in 2004-2005, provided learning design solutions, conducted several course reviews and facilitated a number of teaching and learning staff seminars. In 2006 she coordinated the curriculum development group for the introduction of the Business Edge Program, and taught first-year BE units online in 2007 and 2008.
Since 2006, she has participated in a range of university and faculty initiatives and working groups, including the ECULTURE conference (Deputy chair, 2008 & 2009), Service standards for learning and teaching at ECU (Guidelines for teaching off campus students, 2008), Mature Age Project: Flexibility and Accessibility Sub-committee and Learning Strategies Sub-committee (2008).
In 2009, Sophie joined the School of Law and Justice as Online Coordinator and Associate Head of School: Teaching & Learning, and represents the school in the Law AD Network (a Subcommittee of the Council of Australian Law Deans) which was established in 2010 to finalise the Learning and Teaching Academic Standards (Threshold Learning Outcomes) for Law and continues to promote good teaching practices in legal education.
Most recently Sophie has represented the school as senior user on the project boards of the ECU Lecture Capture Project and the Adobe Connect Pilot Project and as member of the Assessment Advisory Group in Curriculum 2012. She currently represents the Faculty as member of the Learning Management System Steering Committee, and the Learning Spaces Subcommittee of University Curriculum Teaching and Learning Committee (CTLC).
- Coordination of Law Online
- Integration of Learning and Teaching Academic Standards (threshold learning outcomes for law)
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) (Edith Cowan University)
- Master of Online Education (MOEd) (University of Southern Queensland)
- Legal Executive Certificate (New Zealand Law Society)
- Higher Education Diploma (HED) (postgraduate) (University of the Free State)
- Bachelor of Arts (BA) (University of the Free State)
- Open and Distance Learning Association of Australia
Awards and recognition:
- 2011 Dean's Award for Achieving a PhD
- 2009 Vice Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Teaching
- 2007 Dean's Award for Excellence in Innovation or Continuous Improvement – (Awarded to the Business Edge Team)
- Online teaching and learning
Current research area:
- Indicators for student success in online learning environments
- The effectiveness of student induction to online learning
Recent research grants:
- Student induction to online learning: Faculty Teaching and Learning Grant, $7,000, 2012.