Dr Sophie Kennedy
|Telephone:||(61 8) 6304 5140|
Dr Sophie Kennedy is the Program Director of Online Studies in the Office of Teaching and Learning, in the Faculty of Business and Law, and Project Leader for the ECU Online Courses Project in the Centre for Learning and Development. She is a Member of the Faculty Curriculum, Teaching and Learning Committee.
Sophie was assigned to the Faculty of Business and Law as Supervising Instructional Designer by the Centre for Learning and Teaching in 2003, and joined the Office of Teaching and Learning as Lecturer: Educational Development and Technology in 2006.
She coordinated the migration from print to online learning environments in the faculty in 2004-2005, provided learning design solutions, conducted several course reviews and facilitated staff development.
In 2006 she coordinated the curriculum development group for the introduction of the Business Edge Program, and taught first-year Business Edge units online in 2007 and 2008.
In 2009, Sophie joined the School of Law and Justice as Online Coordinator and Associate Head of School: Teaching and Learning, where she was responsible for developing an online delivery model for the Bachelor of Laws and facilitate the development and delivery of the LLB online. In that role, Sophie represented the school in the Law AD Network (a Subcommittee of the Council of Australian Law Deans) which was established in 2010 to finalise the Learning and Teaching Academic Standards (Threshold Learning Outcomes) and was responsible for the integration of the Learning and Teaching Academic Standards (threshold learning outcomes for law).
Since 2006, Sophie has participated in a range of university and faculty initiatives and working groups, most recently as senior user on the project boards of the ECU Lecture Capture Project and the Adobe Connect Pilot Project and as member of the Assessment Advisory Group in Curriculum 2012. She currently represents the Faculty as member of the Learning Management System Steering Committee, and the Learning Spaces Subcommittee of University Curriculum Teaching and Learning Committee (CTLC), as well as the Learn Analytics and Outcomes working groups.
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) (Edith Cowan University)
- Master of Online Education (MOEd) (University of Southern Queensland)
- Legal Executive Certificate (New Zealand Law Society)
- Higher Education Diploma (HED) (postgraduate) (University of the Free State)
- Bachelor of Arts (BA) (University of the Free State)
- Open and Distance Learning Association of Australia, Member
Awards and recognition
- 2012 - Office for Learning and Teaching Citation for Outstanding Contributions to Learning and Teaching
- 2011 - Dean's Award for Achieving a PhD
- 2009 - Vice Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Teaching
- 2007 - Dean's Award for Excellence in Innovation or Continuous Improvement – (Awarded to the Business Edge Team)
Research areas and interests
- Online teaching and learning
- Indicators for student success in online learning environments
- The effectiveness of student induction to online learning