Research Areas and Interests
The focus of my research has been applied in nature in three distinct areas. The first concerns applied research into the health consequences of, and individual differences in adaptation to shiftwork and more recently in therapy for sleep disorders. A second theme is concerned with the methodological issues in applied research, most notably the analysis of brief single case time-series and in measurement across a range of disciplines. A third strand of publications span the broad range of the health science disciplines with a focus on health psychology.
Professor Ken Greenwood
Executive Dean/PVC Engagement (Science, Technology and Engineering)
|Telephone:||(61 8) 6304 5979|
|Facsimile:||(61 8) 6304 5613|
- 4th year and postgraduate research supervision
- September 2012: Executive Dean, Faculty of Computing, Health and Science and Pro-Vice-Chancellor: Engagement (Science, Technology and Engineering)
- 2012-September 2012: Head, School of Psychology and Social Science
- 2006-2011: Head, School of Health Sciences, RMIT University
- 2005-2006: Professor of Psychology & Deputy Head, School of Health Sciences, University of Canberra
- 2004-2005: Deputy Head, School of Psychological Science, La Trobe University
- 2005: Acting Head, School of Psychological Science, La Trobe University
- 2002: Promoted to Associate Professor, La Trobe University
- 1997: Transferred to the School of Psychological Science, La Trobe University
- January 1991: Promoted to Senior Lecturer, La Trobe University
- 1988: Amalgamation with La Trobe University, School of Behavioral Sciences
- 1987-1988: Lecturer, School of Behavioural Sciences, Lincoln Institute of Health Sciences
- February 1985-1987: Computer Manager, Computing Unit, Lincoln Institute of Health Sciences
- 1984: Academic Analyst/Programmer, Computing Unit, Lincoln Institute of Health Sciences
- Member, Australian Psychological Society (#011484)
- Foundation Member, College of Health Psychologists, APS
- Member College of Counselling Psychologists, APS
- Member, Australasian Sleep Association
- Member, Australian Association for Cognitive and Behaviour Therapy
- Registered as a Psychologist in Australia PSY0001118555; Endorsements as Counselling Psychologist and Health Psychologist
Research Areas and Interests
- The value of mindfulness as an approach to the treatment of various sleep disorders
- The development of a psychological therapy for restless legs syndrome
- PhD (Doctoral Degree), Swinburne University of Technology, 2000 .
- PhD (Doctoral Degree), La Trobe University, 1986 .
- Dip (Diploma), La Trobe University, 1981 .
- B (Bachelor Degree), La Trobe University, 1979 .
Recent Publications (within the last five years)
- Wang, B., Lewis, R., Greenwood, K., (2012), Challenges in retraining workers laid-off by state-owned enterprises in China: findings from a field inquiry. Journal of Vocational Education and Training, 64(3), 279-293, DOI: 10.1080/13636820.2012.691533.
- Isaac, F., Greenwood, K., Di Benedetto, M., (2012), Evaluating the Psychometric Properties of the Attitudes Towards Depression and its Treatments Scale in an Australian sample. Patient Preference and Adherence, 2012(6), 349-354, DOI: 10.2147/PPA.S26783.
- Courtney, R., Greenwood, K., Cohen, M., (2011), Relationships between measures of dysfunctional breathing in a population with concerns about their breathing. Journal of Bodywork and Movement Therapies, 15(1), 24-34, DOI: 10.1016/j.jbmt.2010.06.004.
Research Student Supervision
- Coping And Information Use By Relatives Of People With Cancer: Use Of A Cancer Helpline.
- The Effects Of Footwear On Selected Parameters Of Gait In Early Independent Walking.
- Clinical Decision Making In Critical Care Nursing Practice: Decisions, Processes And Influences.
- The Development Of A Model Of The Provision Of Informal Social Support In The Workplace.
- Coping With Recurrent Headache: The Role Of Headache Severity And Cognition.
- The Effects Of Hypericum Perforatum With Vitex Agnus-catus In The Treatment Of Menopausal Symptoms.
- Social Problem-solving In Sleep-onset Insomnia.
- Perceptions Of Insomnia In Predicting Treatment Outcomes.
- The Professional Identity Of Nurses: An Empirical Investigation Of Personal Constructions Using The Repertory Grid Technique.
- Observation Of Push-off During Gait Following Stroke: Criterion-related Validity And Reliability Of Physiotherapy Ratings.
- Do Transtheoretical Model Measures Predict Stage Transitions For Smoking Cessation? Studies Of Callers To A Quitline.
- Funding And Evaluating Stroke Rehabilitation Services In Australia: An Analysis Of Casemix Based Funding And Outcome Evaluation In Stroke Rehabilitation.
- Cardiovascular Reactivity And Generalisation Between Laboratory And Field.
- Loss And Grief Education For Adolescents: An Independent Groups Study Of Vce Students In Melbourne Regional Schools.
- The Effectiveness Of Cardiothoracic Physiotherapy On The Elderly Abdominal Surgical Patient In The Critical Care Setting.
- Body Image: The Utility Of Multidimensional Model.
- Self-help For Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome: Barriers To Treatment Acceptability.
- The Assessment Of Adolescent Coping: Development Of A New Measure.
- Assessing The Predictive Validity Of The Historical, Clinical, And Risk Management (hcr-20) Violence Risk Assessment Scheme With Juvenile Offenders.
- An Investigation Of The Current Trends In Functional Assessment Practice By Occupational Therapists In Australia.
- Family Functioning And Adolescent Psychopathology: A Comparison Of Content And Process Scoring Indices On The Mcmaster Family Assessment Device In Terms Of Association With Adolescent Clinical Indicators Of Depression, Self-esteem And Behaviour.
- The Efficacy Of A Selp-help Sleep Improvement Program For Shiftworkers.
- Pregnancy And Early Parenting Following In-vitro Fertiliation Treatment.
- Auditory Hallucinations Of Voices In Schizophrenia: Prevalence, Appraisal, Coping, And The Therapeutic Directions.
- Stress And Burnout In Disability Workers: A Comparison Of The Job Strain And Effort-reward Imbalance Models.
- Psychological Trauma In Rural Road Accident Victims.
- Predicting Unhealty Weight Loss Behaviours By Using And Extending The Health Belief Model And The Theory Of Planned Behaviour.
- The Communicative Satisfaction Of Laryngectomees And Their Spouses.
- Voice Problems In Teachers: Prevalence And Prediction.
- Performance Effects On The Voices Of Ten Choral Tenors: Acoustic And Perceptual Findings.
- Parental Influences On Childrens' Coping During A Venepuncture.
- A Mother Focused Intervention Study Examining Relationships Between Two To Three Year Old Toddlers; Temperament And Behaviour And Maternal Causal Attributions, Stress And Self-concept As Educators Of Their Children.
- The Mobility Scale For Acute Stroke Patients: Development And Testing Of Its Measurement Properties.
- Benefits Of Worksite Health Promotion In Australia.
- The Role Of Perceived Risk Of Injury And Visual Attention In The Prediction Of Athletic Injury.
- Modes Of Drug Use: The Development And Testing Of A Psychosocial Model Of Drug Using Behaviour.
- Self-reported Voice Problems Among Professional Singers.
- Collaboration Between Mental Health Professionals And Families With A Member Who Is Mentally Ill: An Investigation Of A Model.
- The High-level Mobility Assessment Tool For Traumatic Brain Injury.
- Vocal Attrition Among Teachers.