LabRats is a community engagement initiative for Years 10 and 11 secondary school students conducted at ECU's Joondalup Campus. This annual event provides an opportunity for students to visit the campus and participate in several hands-on science workshops led by the Faculty of Computing, Health and Science.
The event runs during the last week of the third school term. Each day consists of workshops run across a four-hour session that includes morning tea for all students, teachers, ECU staff and students assisting the program.
Date: 23-25 September 2013
Location: ECU Joondalup Campus, 270 Joondalup Drive, Joondalup
Registration is required. Transport will be provided.
How it works
If your school is considering a visit to us for the first time, then you may want a greater understanding about this program. We have seven schools that operate within the Faculty of Computing, Health and Science, and each of the following schools will provide hands-on workshops:
- School of Medical Sciences
- School of Exercise and Health Sciences
- School of Nursing and Midwifery
- School of Computer and Security Science
- School of Natural Sciences
- School of Psychology and Social Science
- School of Engineering
These workshops are arranged in no particular cluster of subjects, this means that participating schools sign up for their preferred day and get allocated a cluster of workshops. We deliberately intend to provide a wide range of science related workshops, opening up students minds to the variety of science-based activities as possible.
Sample school group itinerary
- 9.20am-9.30am: Schools arrive
- 9.30am-9.40am: Welcome and introduction
- 9.40am-10.00am: Ice Breaker
- 10.00am-10.05am: Travel to WORKSHOP 1
- 10.05am-11.00am: WORKSHOP 1 – Adventures in Physics (School of Engineering)
- 11.00am-11.05am: Travel to WORKSHOP 2
- 11.05am-12.00 noon: WORKSHOP 2 – DNA Testing and Melanoma (School of Medical Sciences)
- 12.00 noon-12.05pm: Travel to lunch
- 12.05pm-12.35pm: Lunch
- 12.35pm-12.40pm: Travel to WORKSHOP 3
- 12.40pm-1.35pm: WORKSHOP 3 – Neutralising Acid Sulphate Soils (School of Natural Sciences)
- 1.35pm-1.40pm: Travel to Talk
- 1.40pm-2.00pm: Student Recruitment Presentation
- 2.00pm-2.10pm: Farewell
How to register
- Download the Registration Form
- Complete Registration Form
- Attach Photo Consent Form
- Email to Jason Blight at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Alternatively, fax to (08) 6304 5577
Please note that registrations are on a "first received, first booked" basis. ECU laboratories can comfortably accommodate between 22-25 students per workshop. If your school is interested in bringing more than the specified number, please contact the Community Officer to discuss options.
For further information please download the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) document. Should you have any further queries about the LabRats program please contact the Community Officer.
Telephone: (08) 6304 3451