Associate Professor Alex Forrest
Adjunct Associate Professor
- January 2009-present: Associate Professor of Forensic Odontology, Griffith University
Program Convenor for Undergraduate Forensic Science Programs, Course Convenor for multiple courses in the Forensic Science Programs at Griffith University.
Registered specialist in Forensic Odontology
- July 2005-December 2008: Senior Lecturer (Level 6) in Forensic Odontology at Griffith University. Team
Leader in Forensic Biometrics and Digital Imaging, Forensic Science Research and Innovation Centre, Griffith University
- 1998-June 2005: Lecturer in Oral Biology, School of Dentistry, University of Queensland
- 1996: Senior Research Assistant to Professor L. Walsh, Department of Dentistry, University of Queensland
- 1995-present: Lecturer, Master of Forensic Science with Hons (Forensic Science) Griffith University
- 1994-June 2005: Part-time Lecturer in Anatomical Sciences, University of Queensland. This position continues as External Senior Lecturer at present, teaching Anatomy of the Head and Neck to Dental Students.
- February 1994-1997: Dental Registrar with the University of Queensland.
- 1986-1988: Part-time Lecturer in Oral Pathology, University of Queensland
Awards and Recognition
National and International Awards
- 1995: Bursary awarded by the University of Queensland Health Sciences Group for study leading to a G.C.Ed. Qualification.
- 1997: Queensland Government Funding Industry Growth Program – award for best Business Presentation, MindSight.
- 2003: Certificate of Appreciation, Queensland Police Service, for displaying initiative, vision and the pursuit of excellence in support of the investigation into the homicide of Deidre Maree Kennedy at Ipswich in 1973 and the conviction of Raymond John Carroll for perjury in 2000.
- 2003: Queensland Health Staff Excellence Awards – to the Queensland Health Pathology and Scientific Services Staff for exceptional service in the rapid emergency response to the Bali tragedy
- 2003: Certificate of Appreciation, from Chief of Indonesian National Police for Forensic Service in Bali.
- 2003: RAAF Commander’s Commendation for Service in Bali, Combat Support Group.
- 2003: Fellowship of the International College of Dentists.
- 2004: Commendation from Head of Defence Service (Australia) for Service in Bali.
- 2008: AFP Medal with Alliance and Cawdor clasps for services rendered as a Forensic Odontologist internationally.
University and National Teaching Awards
- July 2004: University of Queensland Faculty of Health Sciences Award for the Enhancement of Student Learning: Project Team Leader for “An Innovative Course in Basic Sciences for Second Year BDSc Students”.
- 2008: National Finalist in Australian Lecturer of the Year awards – UniJobs.
Research Areas and Interests
- Digital Bite Mark Analysis
- Application of Digital Techniques to Forensic Image Analysis
- Forensic Odontology and Personal Identification
- Facial Biometrics