We assess your application into our research courses using the following criteria:
- Whether you meet minimum requirements to enter ECU and any special admission requirements for the course
- Your academic performance in previous courses, i.e.: undergraduate, Honours and postgraduate courses
- Your research capability, demonstrated in any research courses you have undertaken previously
- Whether your research topic fits into our research activities
- Whether we have staff available to supervise your research within the relevant School (you can find researchers in your field using our Researcher & Supervisor Database)
Step by step guide to applying for a Research Course
- We accept applications for our Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) courses all year round.
- We recommend you submit your application for Masters by Research and Professional Doctorates at least one month prior to the start of semester.
You need to follow these steps to apply for a Masters by Research, Professional Doctorate or Doctor of Philosophy course (Higher Degree by Research course):
- Please complete the Research Enquiry Form with as much information as you can provide. One of our Schools will use this form to determine if your research goals and topic make you a suitable candidate. If we believe you are a good fit for ECU, we will encourage you to apply using our online application form.
- If you are applying for a Psychology research course, complete an PG Academic Referee Report (.DOC)
- If your work has appeared in research publications or you have received research grant(s), outline your research experience (Documenting Your Research Experience (PDF))
- If you are applying for an ECU International Postgraduate Research Scholarship (ECU-IPRS), you will also need to submit the relevant scholarship application and documentation.
- Apply online using our Online Admission System
We accept applications for our Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) courses all year round.
- 12 June: Closing date for international students applying from countries with longer visa processing times to commence in Semester 2 2015 (e.g. India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Bangladesh and Vietnam)
- 26 June: Closing date for international students applying from other countries to commence in Semester 2 2015
- 10 July: Closing dates for international students applying from within Australia to commence in Semester 2 2015
- 13 - 24 July: Orientation for most courses (refer to the course for more information)
- 19 July: Open Day at Joondalup Campus
- 27 July: Semester 2 starts for most courses (refer to the course for more information)
- 9 August: Open Day at Mount Lawley Campus
- 23 August: Open Day at South West Campus (Bunbury)
- 14 - 18 September: Research Week
- 30 October: Semester 2 ends
- 8 - 19 February: Orientation for most courses commencing in Semester 1 2016 (refer to the course for more information)
- 22 February: Semester 1 starts for most courses
- 27 May: Semester 1 ends
- 25 July: Semester 2 starts for most courses