Our courses information
Our courses offer the right balance of practical knowledge and academic excellence and a wide range of study options.
- You can email a course fact sheet to yourself by using the form below. Multiple email addresses by separating them with a comma ',' (3 maximum).
Bachelor of Education (Primary)
This course structure contains information about the units which comprise the course as well as the credit points required to successfully complete it.
The Bachelor of Education (Primary) is a 480 credit point degree. In the final semester of the course students may select one of three options:
Option 2: Students select a School based project totalling 60 credit points; or
Option 3: Students undertake an internship totalling 60 credit points.
Please note the following:
- The Bachelor of Education (Primary) is recognised by the Teacher Registration Board of Western Australia (TRBWA) as meeting the requirements for registration as a teacher in Western Australia. Further information regarding TRBWA's teacher registration requirements is available at http://trb.wa.gov.au/
- Units are available in the Bachelor of Education degree which enable students to complete accreditation requirements to teach in Catholic schools.
- In each year of the program, students undertake compulsory professional practice.
- In the fourth year, students undertake an Assistant Teacher Program (ATP) comprising one term of approximately ten weeks of continuous teaching practice. The Assistant Teacher Program is conducted during the seventh semester of the course in the second term of the school year.
- All students must adhere to the School’s Rule and Procedures in relation to professional practice. See http://www.ecu.edu.au/schools/education/professional-practice.
- This course has been designed to meet the needs of students wishing to fast track their studies.
- Opportunities exist for students to complete a semester overseas through the Study Abroad Program.
- All students enrolled in the Bachelor of Education (Primary) are required to demonstrate competency in literacy and numeracy.
Year One - Semester 1
|EDL1240||Introduction to Teaching||15|
|EDL1250||Learning and Learners||15|
|ICT1250||Multimodal Approaches to Teaching and Learning||15|
Year One - Semester 2
|EDL1260||Children's Growth, Development and Learning||15|
|LAN1260||Spoken Language in Primary School||15|
|SAM1000||Science and Mathematics for Teachers||15|
|PPA1260||Professional Experience 1||15|
Year Two - Semester 1
|HPE2240||Health and Physical Education in Primary Schools||15|
|LAN2240||English in the Early Years of Primary School||15|
|MAE2240||Foundations of Primary Mathematics Education||15|
|SSE2240||Social Science Education in Primary Schools||15|
Year Two - Semester 2
|AED2260||The Arts in Education||15|
|EDU2260||Positive Learning Environments||15|
|LAN2260||English in Middle and Upper Primary School||15|
|PPA2360||Professional Experience 2||15|
Year Three - Semester 1
|AED3240||The Arts in Education 2||15|
|EDF3101||Working with Indigenous Australian Children, Youth and their Families||15|
|EDS3240||Including Children with Special Educational Needs||15|
|LAN3240||English for Speakers of Other Languages or Dialects||15|
Year Three - Semester 2
|EDU3265||Assessing and Evaluating Learning||15|
|MAE3260||Teaching and Learning in Primary Mathematics||15|
|SCE3260||Science Education in Primary Schools||15|
|PPA3260||Professional Experience 3||15|
Year Four - Semester 1
|Elective Specialisation 1 (15 credit points) #|
|ATP4240||Professional Experience 4 - Assistant Teacher Program||45|
# The elective specialisation streams allow you to choose 45 credit points from the electives offered in both first and second semester of Year Four (15 credit points in first semester and 30 credit points in second semester).
Year Four - Semester 2
OPTION 1 Students select 60 credit points consisting of two specified units and two Elective Specialisation units from the categories listed below. The elective specialisation streams allow you to choose 45 credit points from the electives offered in both first and second semester of Year Four (15 credit points in first semester and 30 credit points in second semester).
|Students should select the following two units (30 credit points):|
|DTM4260||Materials Design and Technology||15|
|EDU4260||Transition to Teaching||15|
|Plus students should select a further 30 credit points (two units) from one of the Elective Specialisation categories listed below:|
|CED4260||An Introduction to Catholic Education||15|
|CED4261||Religious Education in Catholic Schools||15|
|CED4262||Catholic Studies: Prayer and Morality||15|
|CED4263||Catholic Studies: Creed and Sacraments||15|
|CED4264||The Bible in Religious Education||15|
|The Creative Arts|
|AED4260||Arts as an Active Experience: Visual Art Education Focus||15|
|AED4261||Arts as an Active Experience: Music Education Focus||15|
|AED4262||Arts as an Active Experience: Drama Education Focus||15|
|Health and Physical Education|
|HPE4010||Analysing Curriculum and Instruction in Physical Education||15|
|HPE4020||Teaching Health Education||15|
|HPE4030||Performance and Perspectives in Physical Education and Sport||15|
|FMS4020||Fundamental Movement Skills and Sport Education||15|
|PHE4304||Advanced Studies of Teaching Physical Education||15|
|EDU4270||Motivating and Managing Children with Challenging Behaviour||15|
|EDU4271||Managing the Behaviour of Students with Special Educational Needs||15|
|EDU4275||Teaching in Rural, Regional and Remote Communities||15|
|EDU4220||Programs and Curricula for Students with High Support Needs||15|
|EDU4221||Strategies for Teaching Students with Learning Difficulties and Learning Disabilities||15|
|EDU4477||Direct Instruction and Teaching Effectiveness in Special Education||15|
|MPE4260||Learning to Enrich the Learning Experience of Mathematically Gifted Primary Students||15|
|MPE4261||National Testing as a Diagnostic Primary Teaching Tool for Numeracy||15|
|MPE4262||Transition Mathematics: Geometric Thinking for Years 6 to 8||15|
|MPE4263||Transition Mathematics: Early Algebraic Thinking for Years 6 to 8||15|
|MPE4264||Intensive Mathematics Clinic||15|
|MSC4111||Supporting the Teaching and Learning of Mathematics and Science K-3||15|
|LAN4128||Diagnosis and Remediation of Language/Literacy Problems||15|
|LAN4118||Diagnosis and Remediation of Language/Literacy Problems 2||15|
|LIT4260||Children's Literature in the Classroom||15|
Year Four - Semester 2
OPTION 2 Students select a School based project totalling 60 credit points.
Year Four - Semester 2
OPTION 3 Students undertake an Internship totalling 60 credit points.