- Whether you meet minimum requirements to enter ECU and any special admission requirements for the course
- Your academic performance in previous courses, i.e.: undergraduate, Honours and postgraduate courses
- Your research capability, demonstrated in any research courses you have undertaken previously
- Whether your research topic fits into our research activities
- Whether we have staff available to supervise your research within the relevant School (you can find researchers in your field using our Researcher & Supervisor Database).
Step by step guide to applying for a Research Course
- We accept applications for our Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) courses all year round.
You need to follow these steps to apply for admissions to a Masters by Research, Professional Doctorate or Doctor of Philosophy courses (Higher Degree by Research courses):
- Contact us to confirm availability of supervision in your intended research topic
- Complete the Application for Course Admission (Research) (PDF), including:
- Outline of your research topic (1-2 pages)
- Information on your research publications or research grants you have received: Documenting Your Research Experience (PDF)
- If you are applying for a Psychology research course, complete an PG Academic Referee Report (.DOC)
- If you are not supplying copies of your qualification with your application and the university that awarded them participates in QualSearch, complete the QualSearch Authorisation Form (PDF)
- If you are applying for an Australian Postgraduate Award (APA) or ECU Postgraduate Research Scholarship (ECUPRS), you will also need to submit the relevant scholarship application and documentation.
- Submit your application and documentation by the closing date.
Transferring your enrolment from another university to ECU
You are able to apply to transfer your enrolment in a research course from another University to ECU.
- Before you transfer your enrolment, you will need to confirm the availability of supervision and resources with the relevant School (you can find researchers in your field using our Researcher & Supervisor Database).
- With the support of the School, you then need to apply for the course, following the steps by step guide above.
- If you have had your candidature confirmed at your previous university you will need to provide evidence at the time of making application.
- If you are offered a place in an ECU research course, you will need to provide evidence that you have withdrawn from your previous course when you accept the offer and so that we can enrol you into the course
- If you hold a Research Training Scheme (RTS) place at your previous university and you are applying to transfer to an ECU course within three years of discontinuing your enrolment, any candidature previously consumed will be deducted from you enrolment at ECU.
We accept applications for our Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) courses all year round.
- 25 February: Semester 1 starts
- ~Mid April: Applications to courses commencing Semester 2 2013 will open, check our mid-year entry page for more information
- 12 July: Closing date for Master by Research and Professional Doctorate courses
- 15 - 26 July: Orientation
- 29 July: Semester 2 starts
- 16 - 20 September: ECU Research Week