Top of page
Global Site Navigation


Local Section Navigation

Help us improve our content by rating this page.

Page rating system

Please tell us why your content rating for this page is low.
If you'd rather not, just click Submit.

You are here:
ECU is currently converting this web content to a more mobile friendly format. If you find the content below is not formatting correctly during this transition please view on desktop browser.
Main Content


Although you won’t have to pay tuition fees to the overseas exchange institution, there are a number of expenses you will need to cover as an exchange student:
  • Airfare
  • Passport and visa expenses
  • Travel and medical insurance (inquire about ECU’s free insurance)
  • Accommodation
  • Food
  • Transportation
  • Living expenses (phone, personal items etc)
  • Spending money

The amount you will need to cover your exchange semester/s will vary according to the country, the type of accommodation you stay in, your spending habits and any extra travel you plan to undertake.

Some of our partners include information about living and accommodation costs on their websites. You can also find general information about airfares and other costs on the internet. So do some research and start planning a budget for yourself.

As a very broad guide, we suggest that you allow for at least AUD$10,000 per semester of study overseas to cover all of the above items; however, this will vary based on the country in which you choose to study.

The funding can come from a number of sources including:

  • Austudy/Youth allowance - if you currently receive this benefit you will continue to do so while you are away. You may also be eligible for rental assistance.
  • Personal savings
  • Funding provided by parents/sponsor
  • Subsidies and grants
  • Loans (such as OS-HELP)

For further information on available funding please visit Financial Assistance.

It is your responsibility to ensure that you have enough funds to support yourself while you are on exchange as no additional funds will be available from ECU should your own funds run out before your return. In some exchange countries it may be possible to work, however this will depend on your visa conditions. You should not count on working overseas as a way to fund your exchange semester/s.

Please note that you may be required to show proof of sufficient financial means as part of the partner institution and/or visa application process.

Skip to top of page