Health and Wellness Expo at South West Campus the best attended yet
Friday, 28 August 2009
Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic) Professor Arshad Omari with Ros Worthington
More than 200 people, including ECU South West staff and students, as well as members of the local community, enjoyed an inspiring speech from Ros Worthington and de-stress activities at ECU’s South West Wellness Expo this week.
The Expo provided an opportunity for everyone to learn more about nutrition, alternative therapies, ECU sport and fitness, health insurance and local volunteer projects. It also launched this year’s calendar of activities for the South West ‘Live Life Longer’ health and wellness program.
Fiona Peters Wellness Coordinator opened the event and introduced Deputy Vice-Chancellor Professor Arshad Omari, who emphasised ECU' commitment to staff health and wellness and encouraged all to take part in the staff Live Life Longer program.
Ros Worthington OAM then gave a presentation about using difficult and painful experiences as motivation to do great things.
Ros spoke about her work at Breast Cancer Foundation of WA which provides financial, practical and emotional support to women and their families in WA, and establishing the WA branch of Make-A-Wish Foundation which makes dreams come true for terminally ill children.
The day was a great success, and thank you to everyone who contributed to its organisation.
Winners of the Live Life Longer ‘Legend’ prize draw at South West are:
- Trevor Blackburn, Field Education Coordinator – Overnight stay at Loose Goose Chalets
- Sandra Wooltorton, Senior Lecturer Education – 2 x $50 Finesse Hair vouchers
- Michele Schoder, Lecturer – VIP Paintball Session
- Gemma Phanupen, Admin Assistant – Soul 2 Sole Massage
- Dr Chris Chalon, Post Doctoral Researcher - $10 Bakers Delight Voucher
- Cheryl Jeffery, Campus Services Officer - $10 Bakers Delight Voucher
- Kim Brayshaw, Senior Recruitment & Benefits Officer - $10 Bakers Delight Voucher
The door prize winners are:
- Keia Wadden - Nintendo Wii & Wii Fit,
- Linda Wilson - Sorrento Beach Resort overnight stay
- Jaimee Italiano - VIP Paintball session
- Huong Tu - Capel Vale Wine
The ECU Sports rowing challenge winner was:
- Timothy Chang