ECU celebrates National Cyber Security Awareness Week
Tuesday, 24 May 2011
ECU’s secau Security Research Centre is pleased to present a series of events in celebration of National Cyber Security Awareness Week, which is held across Australia from Monday, 30 May to Friday, 3 June 2011.
National Cybersecurity Awareness Week is an Australian Government initiative held annually in partnership with industry, community, consumer groups and across all levels of government.
The aim of the Awareness Week is to help Australians better understand cybersecurity risks and the simple steps they can take to protect themselves and their children online.
ECU will be hosting a series of events throughout the week, run by key academics and guest lecturers across a number of different areas.
The week kicks off with a lunchtime presentation from ECU’s Head of School, Computer and Security Science, and Digital Forensics expert, Professor Craig Valli, entitled, Personal Identity Theft – Threats and Vulnerabilities.
Tuesday will see lecturer from the School of Computer and Security Science, Mr Patryk Szewczyk host an informative presentation, entitled Who Protects the Little Guy, which looks at the different avenues of IT support offered to consumers by government agencies.
On Wednesday, ECU welcomes Vice President and Managing Director of Symantec, one of the leaders in cyber security throughout the Asia-Pacific region, as he discusses The Hidden Dangers of the Internet: The Rise of Cybercrime.
On Thursday, ECU welcomes Cyber Security Expert from the Commonwealth Bank, Gary Blair to discuss IT Security Career Opportunities in Banking.
The week of events rounds off with a special presentation by Senior Lecturer from the School of Computer and Security Science, Dr Andrew Woodward as he presents Caution! This machine has no brains – use your own, which looks at the safety issues surrounding computers, despite the development in technologies.
“National Cyber Security Awareness Week is a wonderful opportunity to showcase ECU’s expertise in the area of internet security,” said Professor Valli.
“With presentations from experts across a range of areas, this is a great opportunity to learn from some of the best in the field, and we encourage everyone to come down and support ECU as we celebrate this national event.”
National Cyber Security Awareness Week event details
- Personal Identity Theft – Threats and Vulnerabilities: Monday, 30 May / 11.00am to 12.00pm / Building 17, Room 203, ECU Mount Lawley Campus
- Who Protects the Little Guy: Tuesday, 31 May/ 7.30am to 8.50am / The Celtic Club, 48 Ord Street, West Perth
- The Hidden Dangers of the Internet – The Rise of Cybercrime: Wednesday, 1 June / 12.00pm to 1.00pm / Building 8, Room 213 / ECU Joondalup Campus
- IT Security Career Opportunities in Banking: Thursday, 2 June 2011 / 1.00pm to 2.00pm / Building 17, Room 203, ECU Mount Lawley Campus
- Caution! This machine has no brains – use your own: Friday, 3 June 2011 / 3.00pm to 4.00pm / Building 8, Room 211, ECU Joondalup Campus
For more information on events, and to register your interest, please email Centre Coordinator from the secau Security Research Centre, Ms Lisa McCormack on firstname.lastname@example.org.