The Research in a
Nutshell competition provides a unique opportunity showcase ECU’s current research to staff, students, members of
the community and industry and celebrates our staff researchers as they explain their contemporary
research and creative outputs ‘in a nutshell’
This year, the event is an exciting culmination of three
research communication competitions at ECU: the Three Minute Thesis Final (3MT
®) for research students; and the Five Minute Research Pitch (5RP) and the One
Minute to Pitch It (1MP) for research staff.
Five Minute Research Pitch (5RP)
ECU Early Career Researchers (ECR)
broadly within 5 years of award of their degree, are invited to take part in
the 5 Minute Research Pitch as part of the ‘Your Research in a Nutshell’
competition during Research Week. Researchers will be challenged to deliver
a short 5 minute presentation of their recent research with the aid of 3
PowerPoint slides and will be in with the chance to win both $2500 and the
opportunity to present their research at the national 5 Minute Research Pitch
competition final at Southern Cross
University, Queensland in November 2016.
One Minute to Pitch It
Researchers have only 60
seconds to present their research and how they tackle national and
international challenges in this fast-paced competition.
Why take part?
offer a fantastic opportunity to challenge yourself, have fun and to win prize
money for your research! Plus:
- It provides a valuable opportunity to engage with industry and community.
- It gives a starting point for Corporate Communications to promote your research in the media.
- You can access opportunities for extra training through the Graduate Research School and the Office of Research and Innovation, to help communicate your research in a clear and succinct way to an intelligent but non-specialist audience.
- Contribute to the growing research culture at ECU.
Prize money is sponsored by the Office of Research
and Innovation and can be used towards research/creative activities.
- 1st place: $2500
- 2nd place: $1500
- People's Choice: $500
Places are limited. For
further information and to register your interest, email email@example.com
- ECU Research in a Nutshell
- Joondalup, Building 1.447 (Council Chambers)
- Wednesday, 21 September, 4.00 – 6.30pm