Charlie Perkins Scholarship Trust
The Charlie Perkins Scholarship Trust and the Aurora Project are delighted to announce the opening of the application period for another exciting opportunity for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students to participate in an overseas visit to Cambridge and Oxford universities in the UK in October this year. The visit may also include Harvard and New York University in the US.
Application Opening Date: July 2013
Application Closing Date: August 2013
Method of Application: Email Fi Belcher
· Be Indigenous – Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander
· Have completed at least one year in their course of study
· Have the potential to become Charlie Perkins Scholars in the future – see: Charlie Perkins Scholarships for more details on the Charlie Perkins Scholarships to Oxford and Cambridge.
· Australian Citizen
Level of Study:
· UG – Undergraduate Bachelor Courses
· UG HONS – Undergraduate Bachelor Course Honours
· PG – Postgraduate
To be considered, applicants should email the following documents to Fi Belcher by 5pm on Wednesday 1 August 2012:
· a cover letter
· a curriculum vitae
· an official transcript of university results (including mid-year results if available)
· confirmation of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent through a signed written statement (including common seal) of an Aboriginal Heritage Association, Aboriginal Corporation or Land Council in the community where they live or have lived
· details for two academic referees (email and telephone numbers).
The successful applicants will be chosen primarily on the basis of academic achievement (Distinction average or higher), but also on the basis of their potential to become leaders in their field of study and in their communities. Preference will be given to students in their final years of study.
The trip will take place in mid-October and will provide a group of students with the opportunity to meet with students and academics in their areas of interest at both Oxford and Cambridge universities. At this stage, we are also looking into extending the trip to include visits to Harvard University and New York University in the United States. The UK visit will be for one week, with the possibility of a second week for the US portion. If we do go to the US, it may be possible for students to choose to join the trip for either the UK or US components. Costs associated with travel, accommodation and meals will be covered.
Any questions about the application process should be emailed to Fi Belcher at the address above and should include a contact telephone number.