Student Start-Up Scholarship
If you are a full-time student undertaking an approved scholarship course and are receiving Youth Allowance, Austudy or ABSTUDY Living Allowance, you will receive the Student Start-up Scholarship from Centrelink. You'll receive this scholarship at the beginning of each traditional tertiary semester to help with the up-front costs of studying, such as textbooks and specialised equipment. If you're eligible you'll receive the full amount of the Start-up Scholarship, even if you're not on the maximum payment rate from Centrelink.
Application opening date: 1 January 2014
Application closing date: 31 December 2014
Method of application: You do not need to make a separate claim to receive these scholarships. When you claim a Centrelink payment, your eligibility for the Student Start-Up Scholarship is assessed at the same time by Centrelink
In most cases, the relevant periods for the Student Start-up Scholarship are:
- 1 January to 30 June
- 1 July to 31 December
The relevant period for an individual student may be shorter, depending on your actual study dates, and when you first qualify for ABSTUDY Living Allowance, Austudy or Youth Allowance as a full-time student.
In 2012, the Student Start-up Scholarship is $1025 for each six months of eligible study (a total of $2050 in 2012). This amount is indexed each year. Continuing students who qualify for the scholarship will receive it with the first allowance payment they get after 21 February. The second payment to continuing students who qualify will receive it in their first allowance payment after 21 July.
To be eligible for the Student Start-up Scholarship you must be:
- studying full-time in an approved scholarship course
- receiving ABSTUDY Living Allowance, Austudy, or Youth Allowance as a full-time student
- receiving at least $1 of Youth Allowance or Austudy basic benefit or ABSTUDY Living Allowance in the fortnight in which a scholarship is payable (i.e. you must be receiving more than just the Pharmaceutical Allowance and Rent Assistance component of Youth Allowance, Austudy or ABSTUDY)
- For more information contact a Centrelink Office
- Or visit the Centrelink website