Open Bite Australia
Open Bite is an open access print workshop run within the Printmaking Studio in the School of Communications and Arts. The workshop has been established to offer access to artists and members of the community wishing to engage in printmaking.
Our studio is equipped with excellent facilities and technical resources and is supported by a regular Artist in Residence / Guest Lecture program. Open Bite provides a professional working environment that enables not only the more traditional approaches of print production to be investigated but also the opportunity for those artists seeking to work more experimentally, challenging the accepted notions of printmaking through an involvement in large scale, multi media or electronic imaging. The overall philosophy within the studio sees printmaking as a major means of artistic expression without stylistic constraints toward content or medium, and therefore encourages artists to expose the full potential of printmaking as a creative process.
The studio also operates a professional print publishing program for artists. Open Bite has worked in collaboration with the Jimmy Pike Trust, and a number of local and national agencies to offer access and publishing facilities for the production of limited edition prints by indigenous arts communities across central and western Australia.
The workshop offers access to:
- trained printmakers artists wishing to use the facilities for editioning, production of artwork and publishing;
- graduates of the School requiring facilities to continue their practice;
- schools and local community groups seeking professional facilities; and
- specific projects in conjunction with Artist in Residence Workshop programs.
- well equipped workshops for the following processes Etching / Collagraph / Drypoint;
- five intaglio presses for printing steel, zinc, copper and plastic plates;
- ventilated acid room and inking area;
- paper and metal guillotines and extracted washroom for solvents; and
- albion direct platen press for the printing of lino, wood and plastic plates.
Terms and Conditions are negotiable with the studio co-ordinator and dependent on the requirements of the artist/project. It is intended that the workshop runs during specific timetabled periods to take advantage of technical support and allow artists access to a range of activities within the school. In this case artists would need to be skilled in printmaking allowing them to work independently within the limitations of the facility.
Fees for artists projects would be charged at an hourly rate for basic room access assuming no academic input is needed. Instructional workshops would be held at different points on the calendar depending on demand. Basic materials such as solvents, rags, grounds etc will be supplied at a cost of $60.00 per semester, negotiable depending on the nature of the project and usage. All other materials such as paper, plates, inks and emulsions to be supplied by the artist.
Fees not including materials:
- One 4 hour session / week @ 12 weeks $400.00/semester
- One 8 hour session / week @ 12 weeks $650.00 / semester
- Hourly rate for projects or editioning $18 / hour
Head of School (Communications and Arts)
Director Open Bite Australia
Professor Clive Barstow
Telephone: (61 8) 9370 6239
For information about the print studios:
Lecturer, Visual Arts
Mr Paul Uhlmann
Telephone: (61 8) 9370 6221
Media Support Officer
Miss Vanessa Wallace