Associate Professor Trevor Cullen
Contact Information Telephone: (61 8) 9370 6354, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Campus: Mount Lawley, Room: ML3.225
|Telephone:||(61 8) 9370 6354|
|Facsimile:||(61 8) 9370 6668|
Awards and Recognition
University and National Teaching Awards
- 2010 - ECU Vice-Chancellor’s Award for Engagement in Learning and Teaching
- 2009 - ECU Professional Development Scholarship
- 2008 - Carrick Institute Citation Award for Outstanding Contribution to Student Learning
- 2008 - ECU Vice-Chancellor’s Citation for Outstanding Contribution to Student Learning
- 2007 - ECU Vice-Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Teaching
National and International Research Positions
- Appointed as an Assessor for the Australian Research Council
- Appointed Research Fellow at the Pacific Media Centre, Auckland University of Technology, Auckland, New Zealand
- GradCert (Graduate Certificate), Edith Cowan University, 2008 .
- PhD (Doctoral Degree), The University of Queensland, 2000 .
- MA (Master of Arts), England, 1993 .
Recent Research Grants
- Beyond the Red Ribbon: Improving HIV and STI awareness and responses through media and community engagement, Edith Cowan University, ECU Industry Collaboration Grant - 2014 (Round 1), 2014 - 2015, $51,006.
- Graduate Qualities and Journalism Curriculum Renewal: Balancing Tertiary Expectations and Industry Needs in a Changing Technological Environment, University of Wollongong, ALTC Grant, 2011 - 2013, $10,404.
- Construction of the subject as heart patient in the context of the gift economy, Australian Research Council, Grant - Linkage (APAI), 2007 - 2010, $278,768.
Recent Publications (within the last five years)
- Cullen, T., (2010), Reporting HIV and its Broader Impact in Asia: The case of Papua New Guinea (PNG). Liberalizing, Feminizing and Popularizing Health Communications in Asia, 43- 58, Surrey, UK..
- Stewart, H., Williams, M., Cullen, T., Johnston, M., Phillips, G., Mulligan, P., Bowman, L., Meadows, M., (2012), Teaching Journalism students how to tell indigenous stories in an informed way: a work integrated learning approach. Asia Pacific Media Educator, 22(1), 55-67, Australia, DOI: 10.1177/1326365X1202200106.
- Cullen, T., Williams, M., Stewart, H., Johnston, M., Phillips, G., Mulligan, P., Bowman, L., Meadows, M., (2012), Indigenous Voice Closing the Gap and Putting Communication for Social Change into Practice. Asia Pacific Media Educator, 22(1), 55-67, DOI: 10.1177/1326365X1202200106.
- Cullen, T., (2011), Health reporting: The missing links. ejournalist, 11(2), 137-148, University of Technology Sydney (UTS).
- Cullen, T., (2010), Student journalists learn about Aboriginal communities and culture in Western Australia. Asia Pacific Media Educator, 20(December), 153-162, Wollongong, NSW.
- Cullen, T., Callaghan, R., (2010), Promises, promises: Are Australian universities deceiving journalism students?. Australian Journalism Review, 32(2), 115 - 127, Adelaide.
- Cullen, T., Callaghan, R., (2010), The use of narrative fiction to spread HIV information in Papua New Guinea. ejournalist, 10(2), 32- 44, Queensland, Australia.
- Cullen, T., Callaghan, R., (2010), Reporting HIV in Papua New Guinea: Trends and omissions from 2000 to 2010. Pacific Journalism Review, 16(2), 163-177, Auckland.
- Cullen, T., (2009), Health Communication Theories: Implications for HIV Reporting in Asia and the Pacific. Asia Pacific Media Educator, 2009(19), 99-111, University of Wollongong.
- Cullen, T., (2012), Health reporting: is it enough to provide content without a context and what lessons can the media in Asia learn?. Forty Years of Media and Communication in Asia: Retrospect, Introspect and Prospects, 9.
- Cullen, T., (2011), The value of practical placements: What student journalists learnt while working with Aboriginal communities. Developing student skills for the next decade: Proceedings of the 20th Teaching and Learning Forum, 8p., Perth, WA.
- Cullen, T., (2009), The Catalyst Clemente project: Making journalism education accessible to disadvantaged Australians. Journalism Education Association of Australia (JEAA) Conference proceedings , 6p., Perth, Western Australia.
- Cullen, T., (2008), Reporting HIV and HIV Communication Theories. Changing Media, Changing Societies: Media and the Millennium Development Goals, 21, Singapore.
- Cullen, T., (2011), Chinese Christians in Western Australia. Chung Wah Association Centenary Celebration, Souvenir Publication.
- Karpathakis, G., Cullen, T., Waters, B., Businovski, L., (2009), My other self (Co-curator). My other self , Spectrum Project Space.
Research Student Supervision
- Doctor of Philosophy, Charismatic Televangelism In India: A Case Study Of Christian Broadcasting Network's Impact On The Church And Community In India..