Associate Professor Ken Fowle
Head of School
|Telephone:||(61 8) 9370 6013|
Ken has recently taken a position with the School of Computer and Security Science’s Security Research Centre. Ken has over 20 years experience in Government IT and spent the last 6 years with the Department of Mines and Petroleum’s Investigation and Enforcement Branch, where he conducted investigations into allegations relating to offences under the Acts that the Department administered. His final role with the Department was as the Project Manager for the Varanus Island Gas Explosion Prosecution (the largest prosecution the department had undertaken).
In 1999 Ken was seconded to Central TAFE WA to establish a Computer Graphics and Visualisation Centre in conjunction with this, Ken undertook a PhD with Nottingham University’s School of Chemical, Environmental and Mining Engineering in the UK.
In 2004 Ken returned to the Departments of Mines and Petroleum and later transferred to the Department’s Investigation and Enforcement Branch, In addition to his department role, Ken was actively researching the use of 3D laser scanners in incidents and accidents within the resource sectors, a project funded by the WA Government.
Ken is a former Vice-President and President of the Australian and New Zealand Forensic Science Society (WA).
- Australasian and South Pacific Accident Crash Investigators
- Australian and New Zealand Forensic Science Society (Committee)
- International Association of Forensic and Security Metrology (Committee)
- Australian Law Enforcement, Forensic Surveying Working Group (Committee)
Awards and Recognition
National and International Research Positions
- Adjunct Associate Professor with the University of WA’s Centre for Forensic Science
Research Areas and Interests
- Use of HD laser scanners for accident and incident investigations and the visualisation of the data.
- Use of 3D Laser Scanners for small (micro) evidence collection such as blood splatter and footprint, finger and tyre prints.
- B (Bachelor Degree), Western Australian CAE .
- GradCert (Graduate Certificate), Edith Cowan University, 2012 .
- D (Honorary Doctorate, Professional Doctorate ), England, 2003 .
Recent Publications (within the last five years)
- Fowle, K., Green, H., (2012), Science or Experience; what is more relevant ?. Proceedings of the 2012 International Conference on Security & Management, 621-626, United States of America.
- Fowle, K., Schofield, D., (2011), Visualising Forensic Data: Investigation to Court. Proceedings of the 9th Australian Digital Forensics Conference, 56-65, Perth, Western Australia.
- Fowle, K., (2010), The Science, The Technology, The Law. Proceedings of the 8th Australian Digital Forensics Conference, 65-74, Perth, Western Australia.
Research Student Supervision
- Doctor of Information Technology, An Investigation Into Internetworking Education.
- Doctor of Philosophy, "shall We Play A Game?".