Teachers using iPads for improved learning techniques
To support activities that improve schooling in Western Australia and maximize the effective use of ICT to support teaching and learning in schools. These activities include working directly with schools and school systems and conducting relevant research to improve our knowledge in these areas.
The general aim of the Centre is to:
- promote research into improving schooling and into the application of ICT to improve teaching and learning;
- support the use of ICT by School of Education staff to support teaching and learning;
- provide teacher professional learning; and
- provide consulting services to schools and school systems.
Our aim is focused on improving students' learning outcomes through more effective use of ICT. In many instances activities occur in more than one area of operation with the Centre raising revenue from its activities to cover the costs.
The Centre is actively involved in conducting and disseminating research relevant to the use of ICT to support learning and teaching in schools. Activities include:
- applying for research grants, in particular collaborating with industry and university partners; and
- seeding areas of research and development critical to the work of CSaLT.
Consulting services to schools and school systems
We provide consulting services to schools and school systems to implement, evaluate and research the use of ICT to support learning. Activities include:
- collaboration with schools and school systems;
- submitting proposals to tenders available and concerned with the use of ICT in education; and
- providing submissions to government and other enquiries concerned with the use of ICT in schools.
Support the use of ICT by School of Education staff to support teaching and learning
The Centre operates within the School of Education to support teaching and learning programs at undergraduate and postgraduate levels to implement computer support and ensure students are provided with adequate access to the technology, experiences and skills required as teachers. Activities include:
- support for, and promotion of, the use of ICT by the School in the delivery of programs and units; and
- provision of ICT technical support and advice to the School.
Teacher professional learning
We provide support and/or delivery of teacher professional development in the use of ICT to support learning, in a variety of forms, including:
- the provision of learning modules, seminars and conferences; and
- the involvement with teacher mentoring programs.