Welcome to the Fogarty Learning Centre. We are a Level II research centre, that sits within the Edith Cowan Institute for Education Research.
Our mission is to conduct quality teaching and research into literacy, numeracy, science education, learning difficulties, behaviour management, early childhood studies and school effectiveness, and to ensure the findings of this research are implemented in schools and teacher education students to improve outcomes for children in Australian schools.
Our aim is to:
- develop a reputation of excellence and further our research into the teaching of language and literacy, numeracy, science education, early childhood studies, school effectiveness, behaviour management, children with learning difficulties and curriculum development;
- develop and foster research skills and opportunities among staff and students in the School of Education and through collaboration with the wider education community;
- provide excellence in the teaching of literacy to both pre-service and postgraduate teachers;
- provide professional development to teachers and pre-service teachers in the area of literacy and numeracy teaching; and
- support the development in expertise in literacy teaching though the provision of clinical teaching experiences in literacy and numeracy.
Our objectives are to:
- support clinical teaching experiences of School of Education students in literacy and numeracy;
- establish an inclusive identity for the Fogarty Learning Centre and to foster the development of research groups and programs within the Centre;
- support bids for research funding and increase research income to the Centre; and
- support research mentoring and training of staff, higher degree by research students and research assistants.
The Fogarty Learning Centre is funded by ECU and the Fogarty Foundation which is a not for profit organisation that encourages and supports people to achieve their potential. By funding programs that promote knowledge and ideas, the Foundation creates opportunities for people to achieve their goals.
Through the Learning Centre, teachers are able to access better resources and learning skills that benefit children throughout the state. Further information on the Fogarty Foundation can be found on their website.