Associate Professor Deslea Konza
Contact Information Telephone: (61 8) 6304 5797, Email: email@example.com, Campus: Joondalup, Room: JO8.308
|Telephone:||(61 8) 6304 5797|
- Master of Education hon, University of Wollongong .
- Bachelor of Arts, Macquarie University .
- Diploma in Education, Nepean CAE .
- Doctor of Philosophy, University of Wollongong .
Recent Research Grants
- Evaluation of Fogarty EDvance Initiative, Fogarty Foundation, Fogarty EDvance Initiative - tender, 2012 - 2015, $230,010.
- PALL Plus: Building on success, Public Education Endowment Trust, Grant, 2012 - 2014, $125,000.
- Extending student literacy achievement through PALL Plus, Bramfield Park Primary School, Bramfield Park PS Grant, 2014, $33,500.
- York and Mid North?Roxby Downs Literacy Project 2013?2014, Department of Education and Children's Development (Yorke and Mid North Region), York and Mid North-Roxby Downs Literacy Project, 2013 - 2014, $161,803.
- Principals and Literacy Leaders (PALL) for Sixteen WA Catholic Primary Schools ? (PALL CEO) , Star of the Sea Primary School, Grant, 2012 - 2014, $114,353.
- Focused Intervention for Early Literacy Development, Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations, Grant, 2009 - 2011, $155,143.
- APPA PALL SA DECS - Professional development workshops for Principals., Australian Primary Principals Association Incorporated, Grant, 2010 - 2013, $198,000.
- Principals as Literacy Leaders (PALL) - AISWA, Association of Independent Schools of WA, AISWA - Grant, 2011 - 2012, $209,091.
- Extending the capacity of YMN teachers and School Support Officers to teach beginning reading skills , Department of Education and Children's Development (Yorke and Mid North Region), DECS Yorke and Mid North Grant, 2012 - 2013, $130,325.
- Community Partnerships in Action: Developing Positive Behaviour and Engagement Through the Early Learning Environment, Edith Cowan University, ECU Industry Collaboration - Grant, 2010 - 2011, $84,216.
- Assessing the Impact of a Commercial Systematic Phonics Program on Teacher Knowledge, Attitude to Teaching, and Pre-Primary Student Progress, Edith Cowan University, ECU Industry Collaboration - Grant, 2010 - 2011, $61,534.
- Principals as Literacy Leaders, Australian Primary Principals Association Incorporated, Grant, 2009 - 2011, $534,800.
- Case Management and targeted Literacy and Numeracy Intervention for Students in low SES Schools to Support the Australian Government's Literacy and Numeracy Projects' , Department of Education and Training WA, Grant, 2010 - 2011, $123,917.
- Investigating the Effects of High Yield Literacy Intervention Strategies & A Streamlined Monitoring System for Low-Achieving Students in Years 2-4, Edith Cowan University, ECU Industry Collaboration - Grant, 2009 - 2011, $126,546.
- Clarkson Cluster Collaboration: A framework of literacy intervention for at-risk Year 2 students in five schools, Edith Cowan University, ECU Industry Collaboration - Grant, 2010 - 2011, $169,837.
- Assessing Reading Comprehension in Middle and Upper Primary Classrooms: What's Happening?, Edith Cowan University, ECU Early Career Researcher - Grant, 2008 - 2010, $24,900.
- Westminster Junior Primary School Project, Department of Education WA, Grant, 2010, $13,999.
- Evaluation of the South Australian Accelerated Literacy Program, ACIL TASMAN, ACIL TASMAN - Grant, 2009 - 2010, $31,776.
- A Better Beginning: Building the Foundation for English Communicative Competency in the Beginning Years of Schooling, AusAID, Grant, 2009 - 2010, $92,820.
- Identification of Effective Models of Implementing Getting it Right in Secondary Schools, Department of Education and Training WA, Grant, 2007 - 2009, $42,093.
- Improving mathematical performance via the use of effective literacy practices, Edith Cowan University, ECU Industry Collaboration - Grant, 2007 - 2009, $199,708.
Recent Publications (within the last five years)
- Dempster, N., Konza, D., Robson, G., Gaffney, M., Lock, G., McKennariey, K., (2012), Principals as literacy leaders: Confident, credible and connected., 105, Kingston, ACT.
- Neilson, R., Waugh, R., Konza, D., (2011), A Rasch Analysis of the Astronaut Invented Spelling Test: The Early Literacy Learning Environment for Young Children. Applications of Rasch Measurement in Learning Environments Research, 45-75, Rotterdam, The Netherlands.
- Richmond, J., Waugh, R., Konza, D., (2010), Rasch measures of form constancy of letters and numbers, and letters in words for young children. Specialized Rasch measures applied at the forefront of education, 67-84, New York.
- Richmond, J., Waugh, R., Konza, D., (2010), Rasch measures of number discrimination and reversal, and numbers in calculations for young children. Specialized Rasch measures applied at the forefront of education, 85-102, New York.
- Konza, D., Fried, L., Michael, M., (2010), Responding to the challenge of teaching English language skills. Researching literacy in a foreign language among primary school learners, 13-36, Frankfurt.
- Fried, L., Konza, D., Mulcahy, P., (2012), Paraprofessionals implementing a research-based reading intervention. Australian Journal of Learning Difficulties, 17(1), 35-54, London, DOI: 10.1080/19404158.2012.674052.
- Konza, D., (2012), Researching in schools: Ethical issues. International Journal of the Humanities, 9(6), 77-86, Champagne, Illinois, USA.
- Konza, D., Fried, L., (2012), Maximising the contribution of paraprofessionals in schools: A win-win-win story. International Journal of Interdisciplinary Social Sciences, 6(9), 115-123, Champagne, Illinois, USA.
- Maloney, C., Konza, D., (2011), A case study of teachers' professional learning: Becoming a community of professional learning or not?. Issues in Educational Research, 21(1), 75-87.
- Konza, D., Maloney, C., Grafton, P., (2010), It takes two to talk: a focused intervention program for parents and children with language delays. The International Journal of Interdisciplinary Social Sciences, 5(6), 225-236, Champaign, USA.
- Konza, D., Michael, M., (2010), Supporting the Literacy of Diverse Students in Secondary Schools. The International Journal of Learning, 17(7), 193-207, Champaign, Illinois USA.
- Konza, D., Michael, M., Fried, L., (2010), From "Learning to Read" to "Reading to Learn": Bridging the Gap. International Journal of the Humanities, 8(6), 115-130, Champaign, Illinois USA.
- Konza, D., (2009), Teacher talk: The role of teacher language in increasing engagement and managing the behaviour of students with behavioural problems. The International Journal of Interdisciplinary Social Sciences, 3(11), 29-34.
- Konza, D., (2009), From paw print to ink print: Teaching and learning using pattern recognition. Live it! Love it! Learn it! Curriculum Conference 2009, 12p., Perth, Western Australia.
Research Student Supervision
- Doctor of Philosophy, From Essay To Resume: A Study Of Writing Genre And Discursive Positioning In Senior School English.
- Doctor of Philosophy, School Aged Children: Visual Perception And Reversal Recognition Of Letters And Numbers Separately And In Context..
- Master of Education, Teacher Understandings Of Responsibilities For Reading Instruction In Stage One And Two English Courses Of Study Classes In Western Australian Schools.
- Doctor of Philosophy, Key Stakeholders' Experiences Of International Education At One Australian University.