Dr Geoffrey Lowe
Contact Information Telephone: (61 8) 9370 6939, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Campus: Mount Lawley, Room: ML16.144
|Telephone:||(61 8) 9370 6939|
|Facsimile:||(61 8) 0400 460 887|
- Doctor of Philosophy, Edith Cowan University, 2009 .
- Master of Music Education, The University of Western Australia, 2001 .
- Bachelor of Music, The University of Melbourne, 1982 .
Recent Research Grants
- The Motivation of Year 8 Students To Continue Learning a Musical Instrument: Why Are They Dropping Out?, Edith Cowan University, ECU Early Career Researcher - Grant, 2009 - 2010, $24,668.
Recent Publications (within the last five years)
- Lowe, G., Prout, P., Murcia, K., (2013), I See, I Think I Wonder: An Evaluation of Journaling as a Critical Reflective Tool for Aiding Teachers in Challenging or Confronting Contexts. The Australian Journal of Teacher Education, 38(6), 1-16, Perth, Western Australia, DOI: 10.14221/ajte.2013v38n6.6.
- Lowe, G., (2013), Brass bands, cave men and community wellness: Using evolutionary biology as a framework for understanding the motivation of community music groups. e-Journal of Studies in Music education, 9(2), 64-77, Canturbury, New Zealand.
- Lowe, G., (2012), Brass bands, cave men and community wellness: using evolutionary biology as a framework for understanding the motivation of community music groups. e-journal of Studies in Music Education, 9(2), 64-77, Canturbury, New Zealand.
- Lowe, G., (2012), Lessons for teachers: What lower secondary school students tell us about learning a musical instrument. International Journal of Music Education, 30(3), 227-243, Croydon, UK, DOI: 10.1177/0255761411433717.
- Lowe, G., Belcher, S., (2012), Direct instruction and music literacy: one approach to augmenting the diminishing?. Australian Journal of Music Education, 2012(1), 3 - 13, Parkville, Victoria.
- Lowe, G., (2011), Class music learning activities: Do students find them important, interesting and useful?. Research Studies in Music Education, 33(2), 143 - 159, London, DOI: 10.1177/1321103X11422768.
- Lowe, G., (2010), In their voice: Lower secondary school students' beliefs about playing musical instruments, and the impact of the instrument lesson upon those beliefs. Australian Journal of Music Education, 2010(2), 41-51, Melbourne.
- Lowe, G., Lummis, G., (2013), ACARA and the generalist push: What does it mean for music education from a teacher-training perspective ?. Redefining the musical landscape: inspired learning and innovation in music education. XIX National Conference Proceedings, 125-131, Parkville.
- Lowe, G., (2011), Retention in instrumental programs in lower secondary school: the student perspective. Magnetic Resonance & Research Conversations: Proceedings of the 2010 XXXVII and 2011 XXXIII Annual Conferences, 31 - 40, James Cook University.
- Lowe, G., (2011), Students voting with their feet: The values students attach to class music learning activities in lower secondary school. Magnetic Resonance & Research Conversations: Proceedings of the 2010 XXXVII and 2011 XXXIII Annual Conferences, 41 - 49, James Cook University.
Research Student Supervision
- Master of Education, Principles For Designing An Effective, Post-compulsory Music Curriculum Suitable For Western Australia..
- Master of Education, The Development Of A 15 Minute Direct Instruction Program For Year 7 Students For The Victorian Music Classroom And An Evaluation Of Its Effectiveness In Advancing Students' Music Literacy.
- Doctor of Philosophy, An Interdisciplinary Intervention: The Potential Of The Orff-schulwerk Approach As A Pedagogical Tool For The Effective Teaching Of Italian To Upper Primary Students In Western Australia..