Research Areas and Interests
Associate Professor Amanda Devine
Contact Information Telephone: (61 8) 6304 5527, Mobile: 0416 114 810, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Campus: Joondalup, Room: JO21.229
|Telephone:||(61 8) 6304 5527|
|Mobile:||0416 114 810|
|Facsimile:||(61 8) 6304 5005|
- Nutritional assessment
- Controversies in nutrition
- Nutrition through the lifecycle
- 2001-current: Undergraduate Coordinator of Nutrition Program, ECU
- 2010-2011: Postgraduate Coordinator of Master of Nutrition & Dietetics, ECU
- 2007-2010: Senior Lecturer Nutrition Program, ECU
- 2004-2007: Senior Adjunct Lecturer, School of Medicine and Pharmacology UWA
- 2001-2006: Lecturer Nutrition Program, ECU
- 2001-2004: Adjunct Lecturer, School of Medicine and Pharmacology UWA
- 1999-2004: Principal Scientific Officer and Senior Research Officer, School of Medicine and Pharmacology, UWA
- 1998-1999: Research Officer, Dept of Medicine, UWA
- 1994-1998: PhD Candidate, Dept of Medicine, UWA
- 1990-1994: Research Coordinator, Dept Medicine, UWA
- 1993-1994: Lecturer Nutrition Program, Sessional, ECU
Nutrition Society of Australia
- 2007-current: Registered Public Health Nutritionist
Dietitians Association of Australia
- 2009-current: Accredited Nutritionist
- 2003-2007: Executive committee member of Nutrition Australia National Council Member
- 2004-2001: WA Chair/Director
- 2001-current: WA Deputy Chair/Director
Awards and Recognition
- 2003: Outstanding Abstract Award in the Field of Calcium Research, Australian New Zealand Bone and Mineral Society
- 1991-2001: Various travel grants to support National and International Meetings
- 1994: University Postgraduate Award School, PhD UWA, 3 year stipend
Research Areas and Interests
- Nutritional aspects of bone health and body composition
- Public health nutrition
- Sports nutrition
- Benefits of fruit and vegetables
- Dietary aspects of exposure to metals
- Dietary aspects of chronic disease
- Cooking programs for prevention of dementia
- Childhood obesity
- Effects of cadmium on bone density in perimenopausal women
- Doctor of Philosophy (Education), The University of Western Australia, 1999 .
Recent Research Grants
- Request for food and nutrition curriculum support materials as part of the WA Healthy Children Program, Department of Health WA, WA Healthy Children Program, 2012 - 2015, $649,961.
- Metals exposure and musculoskeletal and renal health in peri-menopausal Australian women, Edith Cowan University, ECU Early Career Researcher - Grant, 2011 - 2012, $24,672.
- Diets to Defy Dementia, Council On The Ageing (WA) Inc, Grant, 2010 - 2011, $5,000.
- Communicating the Role of Vegetables and Fruit in the Diet. Optimising Health, Preventing Disease and Advance Healing, West Australian Vegetable Growers Association Inc, Action Grant, 2007 - 2008, $50,960.
- New Independent Researcher Infrastructure Support Award 2004, Department of Health WA, Grant, 2004, $17,300.
Recent Publications (within the last five years)
- Martin, K., Rosenberg, M., Pratt, I., Miller, M., McCormack, G., Giles-Corti, B., Magarey, A., Bull, F., Devine, A., (2013), Prevalence of overweight, obesity and underweight in Western Australian school-aged children; 2008 compared with 2003. PUBLIC HEALTH NUTRITION, Firstview(NA), 1-5, CAMBRIDGE UNIV PRESS, DOI: doi:10.1017/S136898001300311X.
- Meng, X., Kerr, D., Zhu, K., Devine, A., Solah, V., Wright, J., Binns, C., Prince, R., (2013), Under-reporting of energy intake in elderly Australian women is associated with a higher body mass index. Journal of Nutrition Health & Aging, 17(2), 112-118, France, DOI: 10.1007/s12603-012-0382-8.
- Zhu, K., Austin, N., Devine, A., Bruce, D., Prince, RL., (2011), Response letter to DRS. kaloostian and shil. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 59(4), 771-772, DOI: 10.1111/j.1532-5415.2011.03348.x.
- Hodgson, J., Zhu, K., Lewis, J., Kerr, D., Meng, X., Solah, V., Devine, A., Binns, C., Woodman, R., Prince, R., (2011), Long-term effects of a protein-enriched diet on blood pressure in older women. The British Journal of Nutrition: an international journal of nutritional science , N/A(N/A), N/A, DOI: doi:10.1017/S0007114511004740.
- Zhu, K., Devine, A., Lewis, JR., Dhaliwal, SS., Prince, RL., (2011), "Timed up and go" Test and Bone Mineral Density Measurement for Fracture Prediction. Archives of Internal Medicine, 171(18), 1655-1661, DOI: 10.1001/archinternmed.2011.434.
- Zhu, K., Meng, X., Kerr, DA., Devine, A., Solah, V., Binns, CW., Prince, RL., (2011), The effects of a two-year randomized, controlled trial of whey protein supplementation on bone structure, IGF-1, and urinary calcium excretion in older postmenopausal women. Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, 26(9), 2298-2306, DOI: 10.1002/jbmr.429.
- Solah, V., Kerr, D., Adikara, C., Meng, X., Binns, C., Zhu, K., Devine, A., Prince, R., (2010), Differences in satiety effects of alginate- and whey protein-based foods. Appetite, 54(3), 485-491, DOI: 10.1016/j.appet.2010.01.019.
- Zhu, K., Austin, N., Devine, A., Bruce, D., Prince, R., (2010), A randomized controlled trial of the effects of vitamin D on muscle strength and mobility in older women with vitamin D insufficiency. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 58(11), 2063?2068, United States, DOI: 10.1111/j.1532-5415.2010.03142.x.
- Rodrigues, M., Foster, J., Verdile, G., Joesbury, K., Prince, R., Devine, A., Mehta, P., Beilby, J., Martins, R., (2010), Predicting memory decline as a risk factor for Alzheimer's disease in older post-menopausal women: Quod erat demonstrandum?. International Psychogeriatrics, 22(2), 332-335, United Kingdom, DOI: 10.1017/S1041610209991190.
- Zhu, K., Devine, A., Suleska, A., Tan, C., Toh, C., Kerr, D., Prince, R., (2010), Adequacy and change in nutrient and food intakes with aging in a seven-year cohort study in elderly women. The Journal of Nutrition, Health & Aging, 14(9), 723-729, France.
- Lewis, J., Prince, R., Zhu, K., Devine, A., Thompson, P., Hodgson, J., (2010), Habitual chocolate intake and vascular disease: a prospective study of clinical outcomes in older women. Archives of Internal Medicine, 170(20), 1857-1858, United States, DOI: 10.1001/archinternmed.2010.396.
- Zhu, K., Beilby, JP., Dick, IM., Devine, A., Soos, M., Prince, RL., (2009), The effects of homocysteine and MTHFR genotype on hip bone loss and fracture risk in elderly women. Osteoporosis International, 20(7), 1183-1191, DOI: 10.1007/s00198-008-0804-y.
- Zhu, K., Devine, A., Prince, R., (2009), The effects of high potassium consumption on bone mineral density in a prospective cohort study of elderly postmenopausal women. Osteoporosis International, 20(2), 335-340, DOI: 10.1007/s00198-008-0666-3.
- Meng, X., Zhu, K., Devine, A., Kerr, D., Binns, C., Prince, R., (2009), A 5-year cohort study of the effects of high protein intake on lean mass and BMC in elderly postmenopausal women. Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, 24(11), 1827-1834, United States, DOI: 10.1359/JBMR.090513.
- Ueland, T., Wilson, S., Islam, F., Mullin, B., Devine, A., Bollerslev, J., Zhu, K., Prince, R., (2009), A cohort study of the effects of serum osteoprotegerin and osteoprotegerin gene polymorphisms on cardiovascular mortality in elderly women. Clinical Endocrinology, 71(6), 828-833, United States, DOI: 10.1111/j.1365-2265.2009.03605.x.
- Devine, A., McFaull, S., (2009), Vegetables and fruit for health and healing executive summary. Journal of the Home Economics Institute of Australia., 16(1), 5-9.
- Sanders, K., Nowson, C., Kotowicz, M., Briffa, K., Devine, A., Reid, I., (2009), Calcium and bone health: position statement for the Australian and New Zealand Bone and Mineral Society, Osteoporosis Australia and the Endocrine Society of Australia. Medical Journal of Australia, 190(6), 316-320, Australia.
- Devine, A., Sambell, R., (2013), More Deadly Tucker., Cookbook.
- Devine, A., Sambell, R., West, K., Chan She Ping-Delfos, W., De Vries, L., Wallace, R., (2012), Nourish. The complete guide for Food Coordinators in Education and Care Services., Perth, WA.
- Wallace, R., Devine, A., Costello, L., Lo, J., (2013), Supporting Nutrition for Australian Childcare., ECU.
Research Student Supervision
- Vitamin D, Neuromuscular Control And Falling Episodes In Australian Postmenopausal Women.