Research Areas and Interests
Associate Professor Jacques Oosthuizen
Contact Information Telephone: (61 8) 6304 5876, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Campus: Joondalup, Room: JO19.388
|Telephone:||(61 8) 6304 5876|
|Facsimile:||(61 8) 6304 5449|
- Occupational Hygiene
- Environmental Health
- 2001-current – ECU (Lecturer, Senior Lecturer and Associate Professor)
- 1999-2000 – Central Queensland University (Lecturer OHS)
- 1989-1999 – Head of Department; Environmental Health, Durban University of Technology
- (South Africa)
- 1982-1988 – Environmental Health Officer (various positions - South Africa)
- Australian Institute of Occupational Hygienists (AIOH), Certified Occupational Hygienist (COH) and member of the education committee.
- Environmental Health Australia (EHA), member of the Education Forum
Awards and Recognition
- 2005 - 3M award for the best paper at the National AIOH Conference, Terrigal NSW.
Research Areas and Interests
- Exposure assessment in occupational groups
- Heat exposures and synergistic effects
- Bachelor of Technology, South Africa .
- Doctor of Philosophy, South Africa, 2000 .
- M (Master Degree), South Africa, 1996 .
- Dip (Diploma), South Africa, 1990 .
Recent Research Grants
- Assessing the practice, knowledge, confidence and willingness of WA community pharmacists in providing alcohol-related information and advice to older clients. , Edith Cowan University, ECU Early Career Researcher Grant - 2014, 2014, $20,000.
- Examining the variability of heat shock protein expression between genders during chronic and acute bouts of heat exposure, Edith Cowan University, ECU Early Career Researcher Grant - 2012 (Round 1), 2012, $17,150.
- The association between environmental stresses (UV, heat and chemicals) and melanoma incidence amongst staff at Telfer Gold Mine, Edith Cowan University, ECU Industry Collaboration - Grant, 2011, $158,456.
- Field validation of a laboratory developed heat stress intervention in the Australian liquid natural gas sector, Department of State Development, Grant - Australia- China Natural Gas Technology Partnership Fund, 2010, $59,210.
- Review of Air Sampling Data and Development of a 5 Year Sampling Strategy for Cliffs Natural Resources (Pty) Ltd, Cliffs Natural Resources Pty Ltd, Grant, 2010, $3,000.
- Establishing best practice protocols in the management of occupational and environmental health in a high risk mining and ore processing environment., Edith Cowan University, ECU Industry Collaboration - Grant, 2003 - 2004, $40,000.
Recent Publications (within the last five years)
- Mate, J., Oosthuizen, J., (2012), Global warming and heat stress among Western Australian mine, oil and gas workers. Environmental Health - Emerging Issues and Practice, 289-305, Rijeka, Croatia, DOI: 10.5772/34794.
- Mate, J., Oosthuizen, J., (2011), Global Warming and Heat Stress Among Western Australian Mine, Oil and Gas Workers. Environmental Health - Emerging Issues and Practice, 289-306, Rijeka, Croatia, DOI: 10.5772/34794.
- Cross, M., Oosthuizen, J., (2013), Occupational respiratory health surveillance at Minara Resources, Murrin Murrin mine site. Journal of Health, Safety and Environment , 29(1), 21-34, .
- O'Loughlin, M., Oosthuizen, J., (2012), An investigation of health problems among female hairdressers in Western Australia. Journal of Health, Safety and Environment , 28(2), 147-160, Australia.
- Oosthuizen, J., (2012), Limitations associated with the pooling of historical data sets: an analysis of dust monitoring data collected at a typical remote Australian mine 2004 ? 2008. Journal of Health, Safety and Environment , 28(2), 83-92.
- Merdith, N., Oosthuizen, J., Nedved, M., (2011), The effectiveness of back belts in reducing the incidence, duration and cost of low back pain claims associated with manual handling injury in a retail hardware chain. Journal of Health, Safety and Environment , 27(1), 63-74.
- Clark, K., Oosthuizen, J., Beerenfels, S., Rowell, AM., (2010), Making the best of the early years: the Tambellup way. Rural and Remote Health, 10(1407), 8p.online.
- Douglas, I., Oosthuizen, J., (2010), An evaluation of the Mining and Resource Contractors Safety Training Association (MARCSTA) generic safety induction system. Journal of Occupational Health and Safety: Australia and New Zealand, 26(5), 7p., Australia.
- Oosthuizen, J., (2009), Occupational Solar Radiation and Melanoma: Reducing Litigation Risks. Environmental Health, 9(3 & 4), 87-90, Melbourne, Australia.
- Oosthuizen, J., (2009), Climate Change and Heatwaves in Australia: A Research Opportunity for Environmental Health Officers?. Environmental Health, 9(3 & 4), 11-15, Melbourne, Australia.
- Gausia, K., Fisher, C., Ali, M., Oosthuizen, J., (2009), Magnitude and contributory factors of postnatal depression: a community-based cohort study from a rural sub-district of Bangladesh. Psychological Medicine, 39(6), 999-1008, on-line.
- Saaka, M., Oosthuizen, J., Beatty, S., (2009), Effect of joint Iron and Zinc supplementation on malarial infection and anaemia. East African Journal of Public Health, 6(1), 55-62, Tanzania, United Republic of.
- Saaka, M., Oosthuizen, J., Beatty, S., (2009), Effect of prenatal zinc supplementation on birthweight. Journal of Health, Population and Nutrition, 27(5), 619-631, Bangladesh.
- Gausia, K., Fisher, C., Ali, M., Oosthuizen, J., (2009), Magnitude and contributory factors of postnatal depression: A community-based cohort study from a rural subdistrict of Bangladesh. Psychological Medicine, 39(6), 999-1007 , on-line, DOI: 10.1017/S0033291708004455.
- Gausia, K., Fisher, C., Ali, M., Oosthuizen, J., (2009), Antenatal depression and suicidal ideation among rural Bangladeshi women: a community-based study. Archives of Women's Mental Health, 12(5), 351-358, Austria, DOI: 10.1007/s00737-009-0080-7.
- Oosthuizen, J., (2009), A comparative analysis of the course accreditation requirements of Environmental Health Australia and the enHealth Environmental Health Officer skills and knowledge matrix. Environmental Health, 9(3 & 4), 91-100, Melbourne Australia.
- Gausia, K., Fisher, C., Ali, M., Oosthuizen, J., (2008), Magnitude and Contributory Factors of Postnatal Depression: A Community-Based Cohort Study From a Rural Subdistrict of Bangladesh. Psychological Medicine, 39(6), 999-1007, on-line, DOI: 10.1017/S0033291708004455.
Research Student Supervision
- Master of Public Health, Comparative Assessment Of The Effectiveness Of Online Vs Paper Based Courses For Occupational And Environmental Safety And Health..
- Doctor of Philosophy, Partnerships, Portals And Power: Implications For Women's Health..
- Master of Public Health, Causes And Effects Of Physical Injuries To Prison Officers Employed In Environments Of High Risk And High Need Offender Management In Western Australia.
- Doctor of Philosophy, Marcsta And The Effectiveness Of A Generic Occupational Health & Safety Induction Course When Used Across An Industry..
- Doctor of Philosophy, The Effect Of Prenatal Zinc Supplementation On Malaria Morbidity, Pregnancy Anaemia And Birth Weight..
- Doctor of Philosophy, Occupational Respiratory Health Surveillance At Minara Resources, Murrin Murrin Mine Site..
- Master of Public Health, Scald Burn Admissions To Western Australia's Princess Margaret Hospital In 1998 And 2008: A Comparative Analysis..
- Master of Public Health, How Healthy Are Hairdressers? A Prevalence Study Investigating Health Problems Of Female Western Australian Hairdressers..
- Master of Public Health, Developing Best Practice Protocols For Occupational Hygiene Monitoring..
- Doctor of Philosophy, Epidemiology Of Postnatal Depression In Rural Bangladesh..
- Doctor of Philosophy, Industrial Heat Stress: Using Ice Slurry Ingestion As A Practical Approach To Reducing Heat Strain In Workers.
- Doctor of Philosophy, The Effectiveness Of Back Belts As A Control Measure For Occupational Low Back Pain In A Retail Hardware Chain.
- Doctor of Philosophy, Utilization Of Health And Medical Service: Factors Influencing Health Care Seeking Behaviour And Unmet Health Needs In Rural Areas Of Kenya.
- Master of Public Health, Accident Rates Relative To Age In Austraian Mining And Heavy Industry..