Research Areas and Interests
Dr Jodie Cochrane
Contact Information Telephone: (61 8) 6304 5860, Email: email@example.com, Campus: Joondalup, Room: JO19.3105
|Telephone:||(61 8) 6304 5860|
- Motor Control
- Acquisition of Skill
- 2006-2009: Australian Sports Commission Canberra, ACT
Senior Coordinator, National Talent Identification and Development (NTID) Senior Coordinator for: Badminton, Pistol Shooting, Taekwondo, Skeleton and Boxing
- 2002-2006: Australian Institute of Sport Canberra, ACT
Senior Biomechanist for: Australian Football, Netball, Canoe Slalom, Canoe Sprint, Volleyball, Gymnastics, Soccer and Boxing
Awards and Recognition
- 2006 Winner of the Hans Gros New Investigator Award, XXIV Symposium of the International Society of Biomechanics in Sports. Salzburg, Austria, 2006
- 2006 Winner of award for the research that created the Most Lively Discussion. Australian Physiotherapy Association, ACT Research Symposium 2006. Canberra, Australia.
- 2003 Winner, Sports Medicine Australia Award for Best Paper in Injury Prevention and Health Promotion. Canberra, Australia.
- 2003 Australian Football League Research Award in recognition of the outstanding research “Effect of Strength, Proprioception and Training on Knee Joint Ligament Loading”. It stated that this project has excellent scientific merit and potential to make a significant impact to Australian Rules Football.
- 2001 International Society of Biomechanics Travel Award
- 2001 Vice-President of the University of Western Australia’s Postgraduate Student Association
- 1999-2001 Coordinator of Biomechanics Journal Club, Department of Human Movement & Exercise Science, University of Western Australia.
- 1999 Received Australian Postgraduate Award scholarship.
Research Areas and Interests
- Motor control
- Acquisition of Skill
- Talent identification and development
- Decision making and agility performance
- Elite versus non-elite
- Knee injury prevention
- Sports biomechanics
- Doctor of Philosophy, The University of Western Australia, 2007 .
Recent Publications (within the last five years)
- Lloyd, D., Ackland, T., Wilkie, J., (2009), Balance and Agility in Sport. Applied Anatomy and Biomechanics in Sport, 211-226, Champaign, IL, USA.
- Spiteri, T., Wilkie, J., Nimphius, S., (2013), The evaluation of a new lower body reaction time test. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 27(1), 174-180, United States, DOI: 10.1519/JSC.0b013e318250381f.
- Robertson, S., Burnett, A., Wilkie, J., (2013), Tests Examining Skill Outcomes in Sport: A Systematic Review of Measurement Properties and Feasibility. Sports Medicine, 44(4), 501-518, New Zealand, DOI: 10.1007/s40279-013-0131-0.
- Joyce, C., Burnett, A., Wilkie, J., Ball, K., (2013), Three-dimensional trunk kinematics in golf: between-club differences and relationships to clubhead speed. Sports Biomechanics, 12(2), 108-120, Abingdon, United Kingdom, DOI: 10.1080/14763141.2012.728244.
- Spiteri, T., Wilkie, J., Nimphius, S., (2013), The evaluation of a new lower-body reaction time test. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 27(1), 174-180, United States.
- Spiteri, T., Wilkie, J., Nimphius, S., (2013), Human stimulus reliability during an offensive and defensive agility protocol. Journal of Australian Strength and Conditioning, 20(4), 16-24.
- Spiteri, T., Wilkie, J., Hart, N., Haff, G., Nimphius, S., (2013), Effect of strength on plant foot kinetics and kinematics during a change of direction task. European Journal of Sport Science, 13(6), 646-652, DOI: 10.1080/17461391.2013.774053.
- Hart, N., Nimphius, S., Wilkie, J., Newton, R., (2013), Leg mass characteristics of accurate and inaccurate kickers - an Australian football perspective. Journal of Sports Sciences, 31(15), 1647-1655, London, DOI: 10.1080/02640414.2013.793377.
- Donnelly, C., Elliot, B., Ackland, T., Doyle, T., Besier, T., Finch, C., Wilkie, J., Dempsey, A., Lloyd, D., (2012), An anterior cruciate ligament injury prevention framework: incorporating the recent evidence. Research in Sports Medicine, 20(3-4), 239-262, DOI: 10.1080/15438627.2012.680989.
- Wilkie, J., Lloyd, D., Ackland, T., (2011), The effect of balance and strength training on muscle activation, strength and standing balance. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport, 14(Supplement 1), e54, DOI: 10.1016/j.jsams.2011.11.111.
- Wilkie, J., Lloyd, D., Besier, T., Elliot, B., Doyle, T., Ackland, T., (2010), Training affects knee kinematics and kinetics in cutting maneuvers in sport. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 42(8), 1535-1544, United States, DOI: 10.1249/MSS.0b013e3181d03ba0.
- Spiteri, T., Nimphius, S., Wilkie, J., (2012), Comparison Of Running Times During Reactive Offensive And Defensive Agility Protocols. Journal of Australian Strength and Conditioning 2012 Supplement 1, 73-78.
- Hart, N., Nimphius, S., Wilkie, J., Newton, R., (2012), Reliability And Validity Of Unilateral And Bilateral Isometric Strength Measures Using A Customised, Portable Apparatus. Journal of Australian Strength and Conditioning, 20(11-13 November 2011), 61-67.
Research Student Supervision
- Master of Science (Sports Science), A Biomedical And Kinathropometric Analsis Of The Drop Punt: Determinants Of Kicking Accuracy In Australian Football.
- Master of Science (Sports Science), Measurement Of Performance And Kinetics During A Change Of Direction, Offensive And Defensive Agility Task: A Comparison Of Male And Female Athletes".
- Master of Science (Sports Science), Time Motion Analysis And Hip Abductor Strength Changes In Netball.