Ms Margaret Miller
Senior Project Manager
|Telephone:||(61 8) 63046549|
|Mobile:||0418 422 835|
Tuesday and Thursday
Nutrition and obesity research project development, management, implementation and documentation.
- Public health nutritionist with extensive experience in planning, costing, implementing and evaluating nutrition and health promotion policies and programs at local, state and national level in Australia.
- Principal or Associate Investigator for a range of local, state and national public health nutrition, epidemiological and health promotion research projects.
- Author of over 30 research and evaluation papers in peer reviewed journals and numerous published health promotion strategic plans, program evaluation reports and nutritional surveys.
- Freelance journalist with over 200 published articles on nutrition and health. Editorial advisor Health & Medicine, West Australian Newspaper
- Member Dietitians Association of Australia
- Accredited Practicing Dietitian
- Accredited Nutritionist
Recent Research Grants
- Further analyses of the CAPANS 2008 nutrition data sets, Dept of Sport and Recreation WA, Physical Activity Task Force - Grant, 2011, $49,709.
- Preventing Early Childhood Obesity: Translating Evidence into Practice, Healthway (WA Health Promotion Foundation), Healthway - Grant(**), 2010, $101,470.
- Children and Adolescent Physical Activity and Nutrition Survey 2008, Dept of Sport and Recreation WA, Grant(**), 2010, $68,595.
- Preventing Obesity from Early Childhood, Dept of Health WA, Grant(**), 2010, $29,936.
- Preventing Early Childhood Obesity: Translating Evidence into Practice, Healthway (WA Health Promotion Foundation), Grant, 2009, $223,365.
- Children and Adolescent Physical Activity and Nutrition Survey 2008, Dept of Sport & Recreation WA, Grant, 2009, $188,595.
- Evaluation of the Department of Education and Training's Physical Activity Strategy, Dept of Education & Training WA, Grant, 2008, $52,033.
- Children and Adolescent Physical Activity and Nutrition Survey 2008, Dept of Sport & Recreation WA, Grant, 2008, $240,000.
- Engaging Families in Primary Care - International Collaboration to Overcome Barriers, Australian Primary Health Care Research Institute, Linkage & Exchange Travelling Fellowships, 2007, $39,860.
Recent Publications (within the last five years)
- Milne, E., Greenop, K., Bower, C., Miller, M., Van Bochxmeer, FM., Scott, RJ., De Klerk, NH., Ashton, LJ., Gottardo, NG., Armstrong , BK., (2012), Maternal use of folic acid and other supplements and risk of childhood brain tumors. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers and Prevention, 21(11), 1933-1941, DOI: 10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-12-0803.
- Bailey, HD., Miller, M., Langridge, A., De Klerk, NH., Van Bockxmeer, FM., Attia, J., Scott, RJ., Armstrong, BK., Milne, E., (2012), Maternal dietary intake of folate and vitamins B6 and B12 during pregnancy and the risk of childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Nutrition and Cancer, 64(7), 1122-1130, DOI: 10.1080/01635581.2012.707278.
- Milne, E., Royle, JA., Bennett, LC., De Klerk, NH., Bailey, HD., Bower, C., Miller, M., Attia, J ., Scott, RJ., Kirby, M., Armstrong, BK., (2011), Maternal consumption of coffee and tea during pregnancy and risk of childhood ALL: Results from an Australian case-control study. Cancer Causes and Control, 22(2), 207-218, Netherlands, DOI: 10.1007/s10552-010-9688-1.
- Milne, E., Royle, JA., Miller, M., Bower, C., De Klerk, N., Bailey, H., Van Bockxmeer, F., Attia, J., Scott, RJ., Norris, MD., Haber, M., Thompson, JR., Fritschi, L., Marshall, GM., Armstrong, BK., (2010), Maternal folate and other vitamin supplementation during pregnancy and risk of acute lymphoblastic leukemia in the offspring. International Journal of Cancer, 126(11), 2690-2699, United States, DOI: 10.1002/ijc.24969.
- Pollard, C., Miller, M., Woodman, RJ., Meng, R., Binns, C., (2009), Changes in knowledge, beliefs and behaviors related to fruit and vegetable consumption among Western Australian adults from 1995 to 2004. American Journal of Public Health, 99(2), 355-361, United States.
- Oddy, W., De Klerk, N., Miller, M., Payne, J., Bower, C., (2009), Association of maternal pre-pregnancy weight with birth defects: Evidence from a case-control study in Western Australia. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, 49(1), 11-15, Australia, DOI: 10.1111/j.1479-828X.2008.00934.x.
- O'Sullivan, T., Robinson, M., Kendall, G., Miller, M., Jacoby, P., Silburn, S., Oddy, W., (2009), A good-quality breakfast is associated with better mental health in adolescence. Public Health Nutrition, 12(2), 249-258, United Kingdom, DOI: 10.1017/S1368980008003935.
- Hearn, L., Miller, M., Campbell-Pope, R., (2008), Review of evidence to guide primary health care policy and practice to prevent childhood obesity. Medical Journal of Australia, 188(8), S87-S91, Australia.
- Hearn, L., Miller, M., (2008), Engaging Families through Primary Care to Prevent Childhood Obesity., 15.