Dr Laura Thomas
Deputy Head - Child Health Promotion
Contact Information Telephone: (61 8) 9370 6643, Email: email@example.com, Campus: Mount Lawley, Room: ML18.203
|Telephone:||(61 8) 9370 6643|
- Deputy Head, Child Health Promotion Research Centre, Edith Cowan University, Western Australia
- Senior Research Manager, Child Health Promotion Research Centre, Edith Cowan University, Western Australia
- Youth Health Promotion Coordinator, North Sydney Central Coast Area Health Service, New South Wales
- Research Officer, Centre for Youth Drug Studies, Australian Drug Foundation, Victoria
- Project Coordinator, Drugs Policy and Services Branch, Department of Human Services, Victoria
- Research Project Coordinator, Western Australian Centre for Health Promotion Research, Curtin University, Western Australia
Awards and Recognition
National and International Research Positions
- 2010-2011 – Invited participant, Australian Research Alliance for Children and Youth (ARACY) New Investigator Network
Research Areas and Interests
- Child and adolescent health; youth engagement and participation; connectedness to community, school and family
- PhD (Doctoral Degree), Edith Cowan University, 2010 .
Recent Research Grants
- Developing Social Conventions of online image sharing: For youth, by youth, Edith Cowan University, ECU Early Career Researcher Grant - 2012 (Round 1), 2013 - 2014, $24,950.
- ?Bodysnarking? among adolescent girls: Peers, body image and social media, Healthway (WA Health Promotion Foundation), Healthway - Research Starter Grant, 2013 - 2014, $28,463.
- Strengthening Student bystanders' capacity to respond to covert bullying., Healthway (WA Health Promotion Foundation), Healthway - Grant, 2012, $29,983.
- Investigating the Use of Social Media as a Methodogical Communictaions Technology Tool for Reseraching Cyber-Bullying: An Assessment of Feasilbility and Accepting Among Young People of an Innovative Research Method, Nortel Networks, Grant - Development - 2011, 2012, $24,938.
- Development of national principles for early childhood road safety education, Vic Roads, Grant, 2012, $60,000.
- Bystanders to Cyberbullying project, Australian Human Rights Commission, Australian Human Rights Commission - Grant, 2011, $61,546.
- Educational Evaluation of Cybersmart Detectives, Australian Communications and Media Authority, Grant, 2010, $128,000.
- Do Current Ethical Standards Prevent Participation of Low Socio-Economic Populations in Child Health Promotion Research?, Edith Cowan University, ECU Industry Collaboration - Grant, 2009 - 2010, $66,978.
Recent Publications (within the last five years)
- Cardoso, P., Thomas, L., Johnston, R., Cross, D., (2012), Encouraging Student Access to and Use of Pastoral Care Services in Schools. Australian Journal of Guidance and Counselling, 22(2), 227-248, United Kingdom, DOI: 10.1017/jgc.2012.28.
- Thomas, L., (2009), New challenges in school-based research. Health Promotion Journal of Australia, 20(1), 73-74.
- Thomas, L., Shaw, T., (2009), Impact of extra-curricular activity participation on adolescent drug use. 2008 Vario Health Conference. Physical and Mental Wellness-Integrative Approaches to Health Conference Proceedings, 133-143, Joondalup, Western Australia.
Research Student Supervision
- Master of Public Health, Factors Influencing School Staff's Implementation Of A Pastoral Care Program Designed To Reduce Students' Harm From Tobacco And Other Drugs..