Research Areas and Interests
Dr Sophia Nimphius
Contact Information Telephone: (61 8) 6304 5848, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Campus: Joondalup, Room: JO19.157
|Telephone:||(61 8) 6304 5848|
|Facsimile:||(61 8) 6304 5036|
- SPS4102 - Strength and Conditioning 2: Biomechanics
- SPS4110 - Applied Biomechanics in Strength and Conditioning
- 2012-present: Senior Lecturer in Strength and Conditioning, Edith Cowan University, Joondalup Western Australia
- 2009-2012: Lecturer in Strength and Conditioning, Edith Cowan University, Joondalup Western Australia
- 2007-present: Chief Examiner – Physical Education Studies, Curriculum Council of Western Australia
- 2007-2009: Lecturer in Strength and Conditioning/ Biomechanics, University of Notre Dame Australia, Fremantle, Australia
- 2005-2006: Lecturer in Strength and Conditioning, Edith Cowan University, Joondalup Western Australia
- 2004-2006: Graduate Assistant – Centre for Exercise and Sports Science Research, Edith Cowan University, Joondalup, Western Australia.
- 2003-2004: Graduate Assistant – Neuromuscular & Performance Laboratory, Appalachian State University, Boone, NC
- 2001-2003: Strength and Conditioning Coach; Assistant Softball Coach, University of Wisconsin-LaCrosse, LaCrosse, WI
- Australian Strength and Conditioning Association
- International Society of Biomechanics
- International Society of Sports Biomechanics
- National Strength and Conditioning Association
Awards and Recognition
University and National Teaching Awards
- 2008 UNDA School of Health Sciences Teaching Award
- 2010 ASCA National Conference Most Innovative Poster Award
- 2009 UniJobs.com Lecturer of the Year National Finalist
- 2006 AAESS National Conference Student Travel Award
- 2005 NSCA Women’s Scholarship Award for Strength and Conditioning
- 2005 NSCA National Conference Student Research Award
Research Areas and Interests
- Profiling and long term training adaptations of youth and elite athletes
- Measurement and development of strength and power
- Neuromuscular and muscle architectural adaptations to strength and power training
- Biomechanics and physiology of baseball and softball
- Gender differences in athletic performance
- Doctor of Philosophy, Edith Cowan University, 2009 .
- Master of Science, United States of America, 2004 .
- Bachelor of Science, United States of America, 2002 .
Recent Publications (within the last five years)
- Tran, T., Lundgren, L., Nimphius, S., Haff, G., Newton, R., Sheppard, J., (2013), Physical profiles of an elite stand-up paddleboard surfer: A case study. Journal of Australian Strength and Conditioning, 21(supplemental), 88-90, Australia.
- Sheppard, J., Nimphius, S., Haff, G., Tran, T., Spiteri, T., Spiteri, T., Brooks, H., Slater, G., Newton, R., (2013), Development of a Comprehensive Sport-Science Testing Protocol for Competitive Surfers. International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance , 8(5), 490-496, United States.
- Spiteri, T., Wilkie, J., Hart, N., Haff, G., Nimphius, S., (2013), Effect of strength on plant foot kinetics and kinematicsduring a change of direction task. European Journal of Sport Science, 13(6), 646-652, London, England, DOI: 10.1080/17461391.2013.774053.
- Nimphius, S., McGuigan, M., Newton, R., (2012), Changes in muscle architecture and performance during a competitive season in female softball players. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 26(10), 2655-2666, United States, DOI: 10.1519/JSC.0b013e318269f81e.
- Haff, G., Nimphius, S., (2012), Training Principles for Power. Strength and Conditioning Journal, 34(6), 2-12, United States.
- Nimphius, S., (2011), Monitoring neuromuscular fatigue in amateur baseball players during a national tournament. Journal of Australian Strength and Conditioning, 19(Supplement 1), 110-114.
- Nimphius, S., McGuigan, M., Newton, R., (2010), Relationship between strength, power, speed and change of direction performance of female softball players. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 24(4), 885-895, United Sates.
- Spiteri, T., Nimphius, S., Wilkie, J., (2012), Comparison Of Running Times During Reactive Offensive And Defensive Agility Protocols. Journal of Australian Strength and Conditioning 2012 Supplement 1, 73-78.
- Hart, N., Nimphius, S., Wilkie, J., Newton, R., (2012), Reliability And Validity Of Unilateral And Bilateral Isometric Strength Measures Using A Customised, Portable Apparatus. Journal of Australian Strength and Conditioning, 20(11-13 November 2011), 61-67.
Research Student Supervision
- Master of Science (Sports Science), A Biomedical And Kinathropometric Analsis Of The Drop Punt: Determinants Of Kicking Accuracy In Australian Football.
- Master of Science (Sports Science), Measurement Of Performance And Kinetics During A Change Of Direction, Offensive And Defensive Agility Task: A Comparison Of Male And Female Athletes".