Dr Karine Hamilton
Post Doctoral Research Fellow
|Telephone:||(61 8) 6304 5418|
Karine completed her PhD about the politics of memory in the Israel-Palestine conflict in 2007 at Curtin University of Technology in Western Australia. In mid-2009 she moved to the Sellenger Centre at the School of Law and Justice and began to contribute toward the Centre’s research projects in the area of Law, Family and Society.
She now coordinates projects that examine recent reforms to the Family Law system, such as the establishment of Family Relationship Centres, and also works in other research projects concerning community services and wellbeing.
Karine coordinates various research projects that examine topics concerning the administration of justice and community wellbeing. These projects cover post-separation family law and services, wrongful convictions, suicide prevention and prisoner services. She works with other Sellenger Centre researchers collaboratively to develop grants, articles, and other research-related activities.
PhD (History) Curtin University of Technology
- Family policies and legislative reform
- Justice and community wellbeing
Current research area
- Family Law
- Wrongful convictions
Recent research grants
- Hamilton, K. & Ross, G. Maritime piracy and security: The Motivations of Somali Pirates and the Efficacy of International Prevention Strategies, Edith Cowan University grant, $19,270.
- Hamilton, K. (2012). Somali pirates do not appear to be connected to the Somali Islamist movement. In D.A. Miller (ed) Modern-Day Piracy: Current Controversies (pp.78-84) Greenhaven Press.
- Hamilton, K. (2010). The deterrence logic of state warfare: Israel and the Second Lebanon War, 2006. In R. Jackson, E. Murphy and S. Poynting (eds). Contemporary State Terrorism: Theory and Practice. Routledge.
Refereed journal articles
- Burkett, M. & Hamilton, K. (2012). Postfeminist sexual agency: young women’s negotiations of consent. Sexualities 15, 815-833.
- Henry, P. & Hamilton, K. (2012). The inclusion of children in family dispute resolution in Australia: balancing welfare versus rights principles. The International Journal of Children’s Rights 20, 584-602
- Hamilton, K. (2011). The moral economy of violence: Israel's first Lebanon War, 1982. Critical Studies on Terrorism 4, 127-143.
- Hamilton, K. & Henry, P. (2011) The role of counsellors in FDR: redrawing professional boundaries in the reformed family relationship sector. Australasian Dispute Resolution Journal 22, 166-172
- Henry, P. & Hamilton, K. (2011). FDR practitioners working in the FRC system: issues and challenges. Australasian Dispute Resolution Journal 22, 103-110.
- Hamilton, K. (2011). The piracy and terrorism nexus: real or imagined? Journal of the Australian Institute of Professional Intelligence Officers 19.
- Hamilton, K. (2010). Alexandra Nocke book, The place of the Mediterranean in modern Israeli identity. [Book Review] Israel Studies Forum 23:2.
- Hamilton, K. & Henry, P. (2012). Family Relationships Prison Based Program. A report prepared for the Midland Family Relationship Centre and Centrecare by the Sellenger Centre for Research in Law, Justice and Social Change at Edith Cowan University.
- Henry, P & Hamilton, K. (2011). Problem Gambling in Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Communities. A report prepared for Centrecare Counselling by the Sellenger Centre Research in Law, Justice and Social Change, Edith Cowan University.
- Henry, P. & Hamilton, K. (2010). The Midland Family Relationship Centre Evaluation Report. A report submitted to Centrecare by the Sellenger Centre Research in Law, Justice and Social Change, Edith Cowan University.
- Hamilton, K. (2011). Vietnamese and Chinese Community Perceptions of Gambling in Western Australia. Paper presented at the National Association for Gambling Studies Australia 21st Annual Conference, Melbourne, 23-25 November 2011.
- Hamilton, K. (2010). The piracy and terrorism nexus: real or imagined? Proceedings of The 1st Australian Counter Terrorism Conference,Perth Western Australia 30th November - 2nd December, 2010. Secau Security Research Centre, Edith Cowan University.
- Hamilton, K. (2010). The deterrence logic of state warfare: Israel and the Second Lebanon War, 2006. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the International Studies Association: Theory vs. Policy? Connecting Scholars and Practitioners, New Orleans, Feb 17-20 2010.
- Hamilton, K. (2009). The peer review of teaching: a review of the literature. Paper presented at the Teaching and Learning Forum 2009: Teaching and Learning for Global Graduates, Curtin University of Technology, Perth, 30-31 January 2009.