Dr Denise Gengatharen
|Telephone:||(61 8) 6304 5255|
- Information Systems in business
- Project Management
Denise has been teaching at ECU since 2000, beginning as a sessional staff member with the School of Computer and Information Science and then with the School of Management Information Systems. She has previously worked in the banking industry for a number of years in various management positions. Denise has published in international journals and presented papers at international and national conferences. She is currently on the editorial board of Electronic Markets - The International Journal on Networked Business.
- BEcon (Hons) M’sia
- MSc(InfoSc), PhD ECowan
- Association for Information Systems (AIS)
- Australian Institute of Project Management (AIPM)
- Australian and New Zealand Academy of Management (ANZAM)
- Knowledge Management
Current research areas
- Knowledge Management
- Broadband and Regional/Rural areas
- 2012 - 2013, Job design and employee innovation in the resources sector. Faculty of Business and Law Strategic Research Funding. Research team: Dr Yuliani Suseno, Prof Craig Standing, Dr Denise Gengatharen & Dr Denise Jackson.
- 2012 - 2013, Encouraging Innovative PhD Research. Value $9760, Edith Cowan University, Faculty of Business & Law Strategic Research Grant. Research team: Dobson, P. (CI); Bahn, S.; Larsen, A.; Gengatharen, D. E.; Fulford, R.; Barratt-pugh, L.
- 2012, Broadband Adoption in the Mid West region of Western Australia. Value $19,589. Edith Cowan University, Faculty of Business & Law Strategic Research Grant, 2010. Research Team: Dobson, P.; Jackson, P. & Gengatharen, D. E.
- 2008, Identifying Successful Knowledge Management Strategies in an Organisational Climate of Uncertainty and Change: A Higher Education Institution Perspective. Value: $19,500. Edith Cowan University. Early Career Researcher Grant Scheme, 2008.
- Gengatharen, D. (2008). Government Sponsored Online Platforms for SMEs: Assessing Success and Evaluating Benefits. Sarrbrücken: VDM Verlag Dr Müeller ISBN: 978-3639058666.
- Gengatharen, D. E. (2009). The Role of Trust in the Success and Failure of Regional Internet Community Portals in Promoting SME E-Commerce Adoption In C. Standing (Ed.), Electronic Markets: Benefits, Costs and Risks (pp. 190 - 211). Basingstoke, Hampshire: Palgrave McMillan.
Refereed journal articles
- Dobson, P., Jackson, P. & Gengatharen, D. (2013 forthcoming), Explaining broadband adoption in rural Australia: modes of reflexivity and the morphogenetic approach, MIS Quarterly, Special issue on critical realism.
- Gengatharen, D. (2008). Interpreting the Success and Failure of Regional Internet Community Portals in Promoting e-Commerce adoption by SMEs: a Cultural Perspective. Journal of Systems and Information Technology, 10(1), 56-71;
- Standing, C.; Love, P.E.D.; Stockdale, R. & Gengatharen, D. (2006). Examining the Relationship between Electronic Marketplace Strategy and Structure. IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, 53(2), 297-311;
- Gengatharen, D. E., Standing, C., & Burn, J. (2005). Government-supported Community Portal Regional eMarketplaces for SMEs: Evidence to support a Staged Approach [Electronic Version]. Electronic Markets, 15(4), 405-417;
- Gengatharen, D. E., & Standing, C. (2005). A Framework to Assess the Factors Affecting Success or Failure of the Implementation of Government-Supported Regional eMarketplaces for SMEs. European Journal of Information Systems, 14(4), 417-433;
- Standing, C., Sims, I., Stockdale, R., Gengatharen, D. E., Standing, S., & Wassenaar, A. (2004). Can E-Marketplaces Bridge the Digital Divide? An Analysis of Two Western Australian Cases. The Electronic Journal on Information Systems in Developing Countries, 20(3), 1-14;
- Gengatharen, D. E., & Standing, C. (2004). Evaluating the Benefits of Regional Electronic Marketplaces: Assessing the Quality of the REM Success Model. Electronic Journal of Information Systems Evaluation, 7(1), 11-20.
- Dobson, P, Fulford, R, Barratt-Pugh, L, Bahn, S., Gengatharen, D and Larsen, A (2012), 'Eureka Moments In Research: Exploring Abductive Processes Using Four Case Examples', ACIS 2012 (forthcoming).
- Dobson, P., Jackson, P., & Gengatharen, D. (2011). Examining Rural Adoption of Broadband – Critical Realist Perspectives. In Proceedings of the Pacific Asia Conference on Information Systems PACIS) 2011, Brisbane, Australia.
- Jackson, P., Dobson, P., & Gengatharen, D. (2011). Using the morphogenetic model to examine broadband adoption - a critical realist argument. In Proceedings of the 11th EURAM Conference, Tallinn.
- Gengatharen, D. E., Standing, C., & Knight, S-A. (2009). Knowledge Management in an Organisational Climate of Uncertainty and Change: A Longitudinal Case Study of an Australian University. Proceedings of the 20th Australasian Conference on Information Systems 2-4 Dec 2009, 1076-1085. Melbourne: Monash University.
- Gengatharen, D.E. & Standing C. (2007). Using a Cultural Lens to Interpret the Success and Failure of Regional Internet Community Portals in Promoting e-Commerce adoption by SMEs. Proceedings of the Conference on Information Management and Internet Research 2007. Joondalup: WeB Centre, Edith Cowan University;
- Gengatharen, D. E., & Standing, C. (2005). Promoting E-Commerce among SMEs through Community-Based Portals: An Analysis of Three West Australian Cases. Proceedings of the 16th Australasian Conference on Information Systems (ACIS 2005) (CD-ROM). Sydney: Australasian Chapter of the Association for Information Systems;
- Gengatharen, D. E., & Standing, C. (2005). Bridging the Digital Divide with Community Portal Regional E-Marketplaces: the Need for an Integrated Approach. Proceedings of the International Telecommunications Society Africa-Asia-Australasia Regional Conference (CD-ROM) Perth: Communication Economics and Electronic Markets Research Centre, Curtin University of Technology;
- Burn, J., Gengatharen, D. E., & Standing, C. (2005). Virtual Communities for SMEs: Implementing a Regional Electronic Marketplace. Proceedings of the 2005 Information Resources Management Association (IRMA) International Conference (pp. 667-670). San Diego: Idea Group Publishing;
- Gengatharen, D. E., & Standing, C. (2004). Regional E-marketplaces: Towards a Unified Theoretical Framework for Assessing Facilitators and Inhibitors of Success. Proceedings of the 12th European Conference on Information Systems. (The European IS Profession in the Global Networking Environment) (CD-ROM). Turku, Finland: Turku School of Economics and Business Administration;
- Gengatharen, D. E., Standing, C., & Burn, J. (2004). Regional E-Marketplaces and B2B Portals for SMEs: Are Some of Them Failing Because of a Mismatch Between Motivation and Ability? Proceedings of the 15th Australasian Conference on Information Systems (ACIS) (CD-ROM). Tasmania: University of Tasmania.