Professor Hugh Wilkins
|Telephone:||(61 8) 08 63045428|
|Facsimile:||(61 8) 08 63045840|
- 1996 – 2011 Griffith Business School, Griffith University
- 2006-2011 Director, Off-Shore Operations
- 2000-2003 Head, School of Tourism & Hotel Management
- 1989 -1996 Oxford Brookes University, School of Hotel and Catering Management
- 1985-1988 Staffordshire University, Management Centre,
- Head, School of Marketing, Tourism & Leisure
- BSc (Econ) University of London
- PhD Griffith University
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of Vacation Marketing
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of Hospitality Marketing and Management
- Consumer behaviour
- Tourism and hospitality marketing
Current research area
- Consumer behaviour, branding and marketing with particular focus on services.
Recent research grants
- Sustainable Tourism CRC with Prof M Davidson (Griffith), Prof B King (Victoria U), Assoc Prof P Hobson (Southern Cross U), 2009, $62,000 International Student Travel Activity.
- TSSI Research Centre, 2008 (with Dr C Herington), Re-evaluating the role of risk in service decisions, $11,000.
- TSSI Research Centre, 2008 (with Dr C King, Prof D Funk), Bridging the gap: Examining contemporary issues in hotel management to inform research, practice and curriculum development, $11,600.
- TSSI Research Centre, 2008 (with Dr K Butcher, Prof B Sparks), Development of a National Customer Satisfaction Index for the Australian Accommodation Industry, $11,600.
- Sustainable Tourism CRC (Chief Investigator, with Prof B Merrilees, Dr C Herington), 2005, Tourism and Destination Branding, $40,000.
- Sustainable Tourism CRC (with Prof B Sparks), 2005, Researching Tourism and Hospitality Products, $16,000.
Recent publications (last 5 years)
Refereed journal articles
- Lee, H.J., Wilkins, H. C., Lee,Y.S. (2011)Feeling protected in mass organised group tours - A South Korean case, International Journal of Tourism Sciences, 11(2)
- Wilkins, H C., (2011). Souvenirs: What and why we buy, Journal of Travel Research, 50 (3)
- King, C., Funk, D., & Wilkins, H C., (2011). Bridging the gap: An examination of the relative alignment of hospitality research and industry priorities, International Journal of Hospitality Management, 30 (1)
- Wilkins, H C., (2010). Using importance-performance analysis to appreciate satisfaction in hotels, Journal of Hospitality Marketing and Management, 19 (8)
- Wilkins, H C, Merrilees, W & Herington, C., (2010). The determinants of loyalty in hotels, Journal of Hospitality Marketing and Management, 19 (1)
- Wilkins, H C, Merrilees, W & Herington, C., (2007). Towards an understanding of total service quality in hotels, International Journal of Hospitality Management, 26 (4)
- Wilkins, H C, Merrilees, W & Herington, C., (2006). How self-image congruence impacts on customer satisfaction in hotels, Tourism Analysis, 11(5)
- Raybould, M & Wilkins, H C., (2006). Generic skills for hospitality management: A comparative study of management expectations and student perceptions, Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Management, 13(2)
- Bui, H.T., Wilkins, H. & Lee, Y.S. (2011)*. The construction of an imagined “West‟ among Asian backpackers. The 10th Australian and New Zealand Association for Leisure Studies (ANZALS). University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand. 6-8th Dec. 2011. *Best paper award.
- Bui, H.T., Wilkins, H. & Lee, Y.S. (2010). Social interaction amongst Japanese backpackers. The 9th Asia Pacific Forum for Graduate Students in Tourism. Asia Pacific University, Beppu, Japan. Jul. 2010.
- Lee, H.J., Wilkins, H. C., Lee,Y.S. (2011)*.Feeling protected in mass organised group tours - A South Korean case, TOSOK International Tourism Conference * Best paper award.
- Khosla, R., Niininen, O., Crouch, G., March, R., & Wilkins, H., (2006) Towards Design of Human-Centred e-Tourism Systems, Australian and New Zealand Marketing Academy Conference (ANZMAC) 2006.