The active areas of experiential consumption including:
Dr Martin MacCarthy
- MKT2600 Buyer behaviour
- MKT5706 Consumer Behaviour
- MKT5704 Qualitative Research Methods
- Member, ECU Academic Board
- Member, FBL Board of Examiners
- School Academic Integrity Officer
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD).
- Master Management (MMgt);
- Bachelor of Business (BBus);
- firearm consumption
- recreational SCUBA diving
Recent research grants
- 2011 - An Investigation into the use of Sound Moderation for Hunting and Game Control. Extramural tender, NSW Government. $21,000.
- MacCarthy, M., O’Neill, M. & Cripps, H. (2011). An Investigation into the use of Sound Moderation for Hunting and Game Control. Report tabled in the NSW Parliament, July 2011.
- MacCarthy, M. (2009). Consuming Guns; Social interaction and motives of Australian sporting shooters. VDM Verlag, Germany.
Refereed journal articles
- MacCarthy, M. J. & O’Neill, M. A. (2010). The Inexorable Demise of Competition Shooting in Australia. The International Journal of Sport & Society. Vol 1 no 1. pp 211–222.
- MacCarthy, M., O’Neill, M. and Williams, P. (2006). Customer satisfaction and SCUBA diving; some insights from the deep. Service Industries Journal. Vol 26 No 5. July. pp.537-555.
- O'Neill, M.A., MacCarthy, M. and Williams, P. (2003). Evaluating service quality within the dive tourism sector: an application of the importance-performance technique. Florida International University (FIU) Hospitality Review, Vol. 20 (2): 47-65.
- O’Neill, M.A., Williams, P. MacCarthy, M. & Groves, R. (2000) Diving into Service Quality – The dive tour operator perspective, Managing Service Quality, Vol 10 No 3, July.
- O’Neill, M.A., Williams, P. & MacCarthy, M.J. (2000). The Measurement of service quality: An application of the importance performance technique in the dive-tourism sector. Journal of Services Marketing (JSM).
- Fanning, S, Lambert, C. & MacCarthy, M. (2012). The sacred and profane of remembrance tourism; Lest We Forget. Consumer Behavior in Tourism (CBIT) Symposium. Bruneck/Brunico Italy.10-13th December 2012.
- MacCarthy, M. J. (2012). Australian gun culture: A rich web of meaning. Academy of Consumer Research Conference (ACR). Queenstown, New Zealand. July 6-8
- Fanning, S., Ogilvie, M., Ryan, MacCarthy, M., & Cripps, H. (2011). Photos as mirrors in sport. Australia New Zealand Marketing Academy Conference (ANZMAC). Perth, Australia. Nov 28-30
- MacCarthy, O’Neill, M., & Cripps, H (2011).Selling sin; Firearm sound moderators and associated attitudes..
- MacCarthy, M. J., Fanning,S., Ogilvie, M., Ryan, M. & France, K. (2011). Appreciating guns, a marketer’s perspective. Australia New Zealand Marketing Academy Conference (ANZMAC). Perth, Australia. Nov 28-30.
- MacCarthy, M. J. (2011). Researching Australian gun ownership; Respondents never lie…Or do they? European Conference on Research Methodology for Business and Management Studies (10th ECRM). Caen, France. 20-21 June, 2011 (Forthcoming).
- MacCarthy, M. J. (2010). Australian target shooters: A contentious sport. Sport & Society Conference. Vancouver, Canada. 8-10 March, 2010
- MacCarthy, M. J. (2009). Australian gun owners: An endangered species. Australia New Zealand Marketing Academy Conference (ANZMAC). Melbourne, Australia, 1-3 December. 2009.
- O’Neill, M. A. & MacCarthy, M. J. (2008). An investigation of the visitor satisfaction construct in the nature-based tourism sector – Definition and explanation! Consumer Behavior in Tourism (CBIT) Symposium. Bruneck/Brunico Italy.11-13th December 2008.
- MacCarthy, M.J., Williams, P. & O’Neill, M.A., (2001). The ‘Holistic interpretive package’; A qualitative measure of customer satisfaction in dive tourism. 7th Asia Pacific Tourism Association Conference (7APTA). Manila, Philippines. July 2001.
- O’Neill, M.A., Williams, P. MacCarthy, M. & Groves, R. (2000). Service Quality and Dive tourism – Implications for the dive tour operator, 5th International Conference on ISO9000 and Total Quality Management (5ICIT), Singapore, 25th – 27th April 2000.
- O’Neill, M.A., Williams, P. & MacCarthy, M.J. (2000). Service quality evaluation through an application of the Importance-Performance technique. Australia New Zealand Marketing Academy Conference (ANZMAC) 2000.
- Williams, P., O’Neill, M.A. & MacCarthy, M.J., (2000). Consumption issues in dive tourism: An exploratory study. 6th Asia Pacific Tourism Association Conference (6APTA). Phuket, Thailand. 28 June - 1 July 2000.
- MacCarthy, M.J , Chow, C.Y., & Hughes, K., (1993). The Perceptions of overseas students to the Australian education system. Proceedings of the Marketing Educators Conference. Bali, Indonesia.