Professor Ross Dowling
Foundation Professor of Tourism
|Telephone:||(61 8) 6304 5891|
|Mobile:||0419 930 987|
|Facsimile:||(61 8) 6304 5840|
Monday and Thursday, 1pm - 4pm.
- TSM2105 Tourism Planning & Development II
- TSM3107 Ecotourism III
- TSM3104 Cruise Ship Tourism
- TSM3212 Supervised Research Project III
- MBA5700 Principles of Tourism V
- MBA5703 Ecotourism Management V
Professor Dowling actively contributes to Tourism Research and Development in a number of capacities around the world, especially in the areas of Geotourism, Cruise Ship Tourism and Ecotourism.
Internationally he is an advisor for the UNESCO Global Network of National Geoparks (France) and the Second Global Geotourism Conference 2010, held in Malaysia. Ross is also an Executive Board Member for the Indian Ocean Tourism Organisation in Oman, and a Founding Member of the Cruise Research Society (Germany).
Nationally, Ross is a current Director, former Vice President, former Treasurer, and co-founder of Ecotourism Australia, as well as an Academic Advisor for Cruise Down Under.
In Western Australia he is Chair of the Forum Advocating Cultural & Eco Tourism [FACET], the Minister of Tourism’s appointee to the Council of the National Trust, and an elected Council Member of the Royal Automobile Club.
Professor Dowling is an international speaker and consultant on tourism, providing advice for the industry in a number of countries around the world. In recent years he has established a Tourism degree for Emirates Airlines, convened an International Tourism and Hospitality Conference in Malaysia, and lead an Australian team giving Tourism Industry Development Workshops for the Vietnam Government. Ross has also completed an extensive lecture tour for the Chinese Government throughout China, Hong Kong, and Macau, as well as having developed a Sustainable Tourism Development Plan for the Ministry of Tourism in the Sultanate of Oman.
- Cruise ship tourism.
- Tourism planning and development.
- BSc (Geology)
- MSc (Geography) [Hons] [Auckland]
- PhD (Environmental Science) [Murdoch]
- Grad Dip Ed Admin [Deakin]
- Dip Tchg, Dip Sec Tchg, Dip Rec & Spt [NZ]
Current research area
- Geotourism development, sustainability, impacts and opportunities.
- Cruise Ship Tourism development, growth and industry impacts.
- Ecotourism planning and development.
Recent research grants
- 2012 - 2013, A review of the potential for improvement in resource sector - a scoping study. Faculty of Business and Law Strategic Research Funding. Team: Dr Richard Fulford, Dr Ghialy Yap, Prof Craig Standing, Prof Ross Dowling & Dr Susanne Bahn.
- 2012 - 2013, Fly into work; Fly out to Bali. Faculty of Business and Law Strategic Research Funding. Team Dr Dale Sanders, Dr Greg Willson, Prof Ross Dowling, & Dr Ghialy Yap.
- 2006 - Tourism and the Kimberley Coastal Waterways (CRC Sustainable Tourism).
- 2005 - Assessing the Socio-economic impacts of Ningaloo Marine Park (CRC Sustainable Tourism).
- CRC Sustainable Tourism – to develop a Sustainable Forest Ecotourism Model.
- WA Tourism Commission - to develop a Wine Tourism Strategy for the State.
- Dowling, R.K. & Newsome, D. (2010) Global Geotourism Perspectives. Goodfellow Publishing, Oxford, UK www.goodfellowpublishers.com
- Newsome, D. & Dowling, R.K. (2010) Geotourism: The Tourism of Geology and Landscape. Goodfellow Publishing, Oxford, UK www.goodfellowpublishers.com
- Dowling, R.K. & Pforr, C. eds. (2009) Coastal Tourism Development. Cognizant Communication Corporation, New York. www.cognizantcommunication.com
- Page, S.J. & Dowling, R.K. (2006) Ecotourism. Wu-Nan Books, China.
- Dowling, R.K. ed. (2006) Cruise Ship Tourism. CABI Publishing, Oxon, UK. www.cabi.org
- Dowling, R.K. & Newsome, D. eds. (2006) Geotourism. Elsevier, Oxford. www.elsevierdirect.com
- Fennell, D.A. & Dowling, R.K. eds. (2005) Ecotourism Policy and Planning. Nankai University Press, China.
- Newsome, D., Dowling, R.K. & Moore, S.A. (2005) Wildlife Tourism. Channel View Publications, Clevedon, England. www.multilingual-matters.com
- Newsome, D., Moore, S.A. & Dowling, R.K. (2005) Natural Area Tourism: Ecology, Impacts and Management. Viva Books, India.
- Fennell, D.A. & Dowling, R.K. eds. (2003) Ecotourism Policy and Planning. CABI Publishing, Oxfordon, UK. www.cabi.org
- Singh, S., Timothy, D.J. & Dowling, R.K. eds. (2003) Tourism in Destination Communities. CABI Publishing, Oxfordon, UK. www.cabi.org
- Page, S.J. & Dowling, R.K. (2002) Ecotourism. Pearson Education, Harlow, England. www.pearsoned.co.uk
- Newsome, D., Moore, S.A. & Dowling, R.K. (2002) Natural Area Tourism: Ecology, Impacts and Management. Channel View Publications, Clevedon, England.