Top of page
Global Site Navigation

School of Medical and Health Sciences

Local Section Navigation

Help us improve our content by rating this page.

Page rating system

Please leave a comment about your rating so we can better understand how we might improve the page.

You are here: Main Content

Working with children check

The Working with Children Check (WWC Check) is a comprehensive criminal record check for certain people in child-related work in Western Australia.

The WWC Check aims to increase the safety of children in our community by helping to prevent people who have a criminal history that indicates they may harm children from working with children.

Use the checklist below to identify if you need a WWC Check for your clinical placement. Make sure you identify the correct category of child-related work undertaken. If you are a student and are having problems please talk to your clinical placement coordinator or contact the WWC Screening Unit


1. Are you doing paid, unpaid or voluntary work in connection with any of the categories of child-related work?

  • YES: Go to Question 2
  • NO: WWC Check NOT required

2. Do the usual duties of the work involve, or are they likely to involve, contact with a child?

  • YES: Go to Question 3
  • NO: WWC Check NOT required

3. Does an exemption apply?

If a student is exempt they must not apply until they turn 18 years of age or are paid employees

  • YES: If an exemption applies to you, WWC Check NOT required
  • NO: If no exemption applies you must apply for WWC Check

Students: Please review the WWC website at to ensure you have met your responsibility in regard to the Working With Children Act 2004.

Further information is available:

A WWC check is routinely a requirement for employment once graduated. This is in addition to the other police screening requirements.

Nursing Students

Nursing students are not required to apply for a clearance until they are enrolled in a unit that necessitates them working on a daily basis with children. Details of when you need to apply for a Working with Children Check are available from Blackboard.


  1. A Working with Children Check application form from Student Central.
  2. Complete the form with a black biro pen.
  3. In Part 5:
  • for "Category of Child Related Work";
  • Psychology and Social Science write 10
  • Medical and Health Sciences, Nursing and Midwifery write 09, 10 or 13 as suits your clinical placement type;
  • for "Type of Employment" put a X in the volunteer/unpaid position box;
  • for "Name of Organisation" write EDITH COWAN UNIVERSITY;
  • for "Applicant’s job title" write STUDENT; and
  • for "Organisation’s Phone Number" write (08) 134 328.
  1. Take the form back to Student Central. Parts 6 and 7 will be completed at Student Central.
  2. Take the completed form, administration fee and all necessary identification documents to any Australia Post outlet. Go to the Australia Post website to locate a participating outlet. Your photo will be taken by the Australia Post personnel on submission of your application.
  3. Dependent upon when you apply your card may take up to 3 months to be returned to you. If you are attending a clinical placement where you will be working with children on a daily basis, it is advised that you commence your application for this card as early as you are able. If you are on a clinical placement in Semester 2, apply towards the end of Semester 1.


  • You are required to provide your current proof of identity and 100 points of identification.
  • Go to the 'how to apply' web page on the Working with Children Check website, and select the step-by-step guide for details of acceptable forms of identification.
  • The Students web page on the Check WWC website provides you with relevant information for completing the form.


A $11.00 payment is required for your application. Payment can be made by EFTPOS, MasterCard, Visa or cash. Cheques are not accepted.


Your Working with Children (WWC) card is valid for 3 years. Students are required to display their WWC card clearly at all times whilst on clinical practice.

When to apply/reapply

If you are under the age of 18, do not apply for this card until you are within a month of your 18th birthday.

If your period of enrolment extends beyond 3 years, you will need to reapply once your expiry date is near. A current card is required for clinical practice placements where you will be working with children on a daily basis. Please confirm the requirement for a card with your Unit Coordinator.


Australia Post will issue you with a receipt for your application. You are responsible for presenting the receipt to Student Central for entry onto Callista SMS.

Once you have received your Working with Children card, take it to your School Coordinator for clinical placement to be sighted and copied. A copy will be placed in your file as evidence of your Working with Children clearance.

Students who have not presented their receipt from an Australian Post outlet to Student Central and the School Coordinator for Clinical Placement, will not be eligible to commence clinical practice.

It is the student's responsibility to ensure that they carry their WWC card when on clinical practice.

Skip to top of page