Dr Anna Callan
|Telephone:||(61 8) 6304 2349|
- Lecturer and Unit Coordinator for SCH2232 Medical Biochemistry
- 2012-present: Lecturer, School of Medical Sciences, Edith Cowan University
- 2009-2012: Postdoctoral Research Fellow, School of Natural Sciences, Edith Cowan University
- 2008-2009: Research Officer, Telethon Institute for Child Health Research
- 2006-2007: Postdoctoral Research Associate Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Manchester
Research Areas and Interests
Human Exposure to Environmental Contaminants and Associated Health Effects
- Exposure of susceptible groups, such as children, to persistent toxic substances and the resulting effects of exposure
- Assessment of the contribution of dietary exposure to persistent toxic substances to an individual’s total level of exposure.
- Monitoring the biological effects of persistent toxic substance exposure as determined by the measurement of biomarkers of disease, oxidative damage and DNA modifications
I obtained my PhD in Biochemistry/Cell Biology however the focus of my research has changed and I am now involved in a number of projects relating to environmental exposures and their health effects. I have been involved in a number of research projects which include investigating the exposure of pregnant women to a range of environmental contaminants (metals, pesticides, persistent organic compounds and Bisphenol A) and children’s exposure to metals, emerging pollutants and particulate matter. Recently I have been working on a study examining exposure to metals in women aged 50 and above, and the effects o exposure on their bone density and kidney function.
My background in biological sciences means that I am keen to explore ways of investigating not just personal exposure to environmental contaminants, but also the health effects of exposure and the biological mechanisms underlying those effects. I am particularly interested in environmental contaminants relating to health outcomes in susceptible population groups such as young children and the elderly. The effect of pre-natal exposure to environmental contaminants on pregnancy and birth outcomes is also an area of considerable interest to me. In addition I am keen to explore the contribution of dietary exposure of metals and pollutants to an individual’s total exposure.
- Environment exposure
- Biological effects of exposure to environmental contaminants
- Contribution of diet to exposure to metals and other contaminants
- Doctor of Philosophy, England, 2006 .
- Master, England, 2002 .
- Bachelor of Science, England, 2001 .
Recent Research Grants
- Metals exposure and musculoskeletal and renal health in peri-menopausal Australian women, Edith Cowan University, ECU Early Career Researcher - Grant, 2011 - 2012, $24,672.
- Particulates, Metals and Human Exposure, Telethon Institute for Child Health Research, Grant, 2009 - 2012, $38,885.
- Children's exposure to PM10 and Metals in Perth, Edith Cowan University, ECU Industry Collaboration - Grant, 2011, $101,242.
- Children's dietary exposure to metals and the relationship between dietary intake and biological measures of exposure, Edith Cowan University, ECU Early Career Researcher - Grant, 2010 - 2011, $24,690.
Recent Publications (within the last five years)
- Stasinska, A., Reid, A., Hinwood, A., Stevenson, G., Callan, A., Odland, J., Heyworth, J., (2013), Concentrations of polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs) in residential dust samples from Western Australia. Chemosphere, 91(2), 187-193, United Kingdom, DOI: 10.1016/j.chemosphere.2012.12.044..
- Hinwood, A., Callan, A., Ramalingam, M., Boyce, M., Heyworth, J., McCafferty, P., Odland, J., (2013), Cadmium, lead and mercury exposure in non smoking pregnant women. Environmental Research, 126( ), 118-124.
- Callan, A., Hinwood, A., Ramalingam, M., Boyce, M., Heyworth, J., McCafferty, P., Odland, J., (2013), Maternal Exposure to Metals ? Concentrations and Predictors of Exposure. Environmental Research, 126( ), 111-117, DOI: 10.1016/j.envres.2013.07.004.
- Ndilila, W., Callan, A., McGregor, L., Kalin, R., Hinwood, A., (2013), Environmental and toenail metals concentrations in copper mining and non mining communities in Zambia. International Journal of Hygiene and Environmental Health , 217(1), 62-69, DOI: 10.1016/j.ijheh.2013.03.011.
- Reid, A., Callan, A., Stasinska, A., Hinwood, A., Heyworth, J., Odland, J., (2013), Maternal Exposure to Organochlorine Pesticides in Western Australia. Science of the Total Environment, 449( ), 208-213, DOI: 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2013.01.067..
- Callan, A., Hinwood, A., Heffernan, A., Eaglesham, G., Mueller, J., Odland, J., (2012), Urinary bisphenol A concentrations in pregnant women. International Journal of Hygiene and Environmental Health, N/A(N/A), N/A, DOI: 10.1016/j.ijheh.2012.10.002.
- Lazenby, V., Hinwood, A., Callan, A., Franklin, P., (2012), Formaldehyde Personal Exposure Measurements and Time Weighted Exposure Estimates in Children. Chemosphere, 88(8), 966-973, United Kingdom, DOI: 10.1016/j.chemosphere.2012.03.029.
- McQueen, HL., Callan, A., Hinwood, A., (2012), Estimating Maternal and Prenatal Exposure to Glyphosate in the Community Setting. International Journal of Hygiene and Environmental Health, 215(6), 570-576, Germany, DOI: 10.1016/j.ijheh.2011.12.002.
- McKibbin, C., Mares, A., Piacenti, M., Williams, H., Roboti, P., Puumalainen, M., Callan, A., Lesiak-Mieczkowska, K., Linder, S., Harant, H., High, S., Flitsch, S., Whitehead, R., Swanton, E., (2012), Inhibition of protein translocation at the endoplasmic reticulum promotes activation of the unfolded protein response. Biochemical Journal, 442(3), 639-648, DOI: doi:10.1042/BJ20111220.
- Callan, A., Winters, M., Barton, C., Boyce, M., Hinwood, A., (2011), Children's Exposure to Metals: A Community-Initiated Study. Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, N/A(N/A), N/A, DOI: 10.1007/s00244-011-9727-2.
- Callan, A., Hinwood, A., (2011), Exposures to lead. Reviews on Environmental Health, 26(1), 13-15, DOI: 10.1515/REVEH.2011.003.
- Cross, B., McKibbin, C., Callan, A., Roboti, P., Piacenti, M., Rabu, C., Wilson, C., Whitehead, R., Flitsch, S., Pool, M., High, S., Swanton, E., (2009), Eeyarestatin I inhibits Sec61-mediated protein translocation at the endoplasmic reticulum. Journal of Cell Science, 122(23), 4393-4400, United Kingdom, DOI: 10.1242/jcs.054494.
- Callan, A., Milne, E., (2009), Involvement of the IGF system in fetal growth and childhood cancer: an overview of potential mechanisms. Cancer Causes and Control, 20(10), 1783-1798, The Netherlands, DOI: 10.1007/s10552-009-9378-z.