Dr Michael Black
Post Doctoral Research Fellow
|Telephone:||(61 8) 6304 3462|
- April 2006 – September 2006: Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Faculty of Computing, Health and Science, Edith Cowan University (US National Science Foundation)
- October 2006 – November 2006: Visiting Fellow, Capital University of Medical Sciences, Beijing, Peoples Republic of China
- February 2007 – May 2007: Postdoctoral Researcher, Centre for Human Genetics, Edith Cowan University
- May 2007 – September 2007: Visiting Researcher, Centre for Comparative Genomics, Murdoch University
- September 2009 – May 2012: Bioinformatics Officer, Centre for Comparative Genomics, Murdoch University
- 2011-present: Human Genome Variation Society
- 2010-present: Commgennet – Community Genetics Network
- 2011-present: Human Variome Project Consortium
Awards and Recognition
University and National Teaching Awards
- 2002-2005: Edith Cowan University Postgraduate Research Scholarship
Research Areas and Interests
My major research interests are focused on bioinformatics and medical genetics. I also have a strong interest in the effects of consanguinity and population stratification on genetic disorders and genetic aspects of disease, with emphases on the genetics of complex disease in China and the impact of β-thalassaemia in the populations of South Asia.
My publication history has spanned a wide range of subjects including population genetics and ancestry in China, Cambodia, and Christmas Island; ß-Thalassaemia population genetics in South Asia; the effect of consanguinity on mortality, morbidity and autosomal recessive disease prevalence; and agricultural and microbiological genomics.
Most recently I have been engaged in bioinformatic research with the use of massively parallel supercomputing resources available at the Centre for Comparative Genomics, Murdoch University and iVEC (http://ivec.org). This research involves human, bacterial and plant genomics with next generation sequencing technologies.
- PhD (Doctoral Degree), Edith Cowan University, 2006 .
- MSc (Master of Science), Edith Cowan University, 2000 .
- B (Bachelor Degree), Murdoch University, 1998 .
Recent Publications (within the last five years)
- Mappley, L., Black, M., Abuoun, M., Darby, AC., Woodward, MJ., Parkhill, J., Turner, AK., Bellgard, MI., La, T., Phillips, ND., La Ragione, RM., Hampson, DJ., (2012), Comparative genomics of Brachyspira pilosicoli strains: genome rearrangements, reductions and correlation of genetic compliment with phenotypic diversity. BMC Genomics, 13(1), art. no. 454 , Online, DOI: 10.1186/1471-2164-13-454.