The School of Natural Sciences is home to the University research centres and a number of University research groups. Our Centre for Ecosystem Management and Centre for Marine Ecosystems Research, are amongst the University's most productive research centres.
Whilst most research takes place within the centres, some staff are active in research that are not members. Research in our school covers the full spectrum from pure to applied but the emphasis is on applied research that benefits the community. Our large post–doctoral staff and post graduate student numbers provides for a dynamic and interesting research environment.
Research within the School of Natural Sciences spans many fields, including:
- marine, estuarine, wetland and freshwater ecology;
- restoration of mined lands and pit lakes;
- ecological genetics of plants and animals;
- macroalgae and seagrass ecology;
- terrestrial ecology;
- plant and animal cell biology and biochemistry; and