Researchers at the Mine Water and Environment Research Group apply their scientific knowledge and skills to researching applied and fundamental water quality issues surrounding the mining industry and mining legacies, in particular pit lakes. Our current research projects are listed below.
- Assessment of the affects of pit lakes on human health
- Conceptual modelling of pit lake processes and ecological risk
- Development of an inventory of pit lakes data and preliminary assessment of end-use options for Collie pit lakes
- Ecology of black-stripe minnow (Galaxiella nirostriata, Pisces: Galaxiidae) in remnant populations on the Swan Coastal Plain, Western Australia
- Geochemical modelling of pit lake water chemistry to support management decisions
- Monitoring strategies for Australian pit lakes and connected waters
- Temporal variability and ecosystem function of the aquatic macroinvertebrate communities of seasonal south-western Australian wetlands