Research Areas and Interests
Dr Magdalena Wajrak
Contact Information Telephone: (61 8) 6304 5654, Email: email@example.com, Campus: Joondalup, Room: JO19.352
|Telephone:||(61 8) 6304 5654|
|Facsimile:||(61 8) 6304 5509|
- SCC1123 - Chemistry for the Life Sciences
- SCC1111 - General Chemistry
- SCC3202 - Environmental Chemistry and Analysis
- SCC3304 - Chemistry Project
- SCI3120 - Natural Sciences Project
- 2005-present: Chemistry Lecturer (Level B), School of Natural Sciences, ECU, WA
- 2001-2001: Chemistry Lecturer (Level B), Chemistry Department, University of New England, NSW
- 2000-2001: Online Tutor Designer, CADRE Pty Ltd, Sydney, NSW; Research Officer, Monitoring Technologies International, Osborne Park, WA
- 1999-2000: Computing Lecturer (Level A), Kurongkurl Katitjin School, ECU, WA
- 1998-1999: Research Officer, Dr Judy Edwards, MLA, Maylands, WA
- 1995-2004: Sessional Chemistry Tutor and Demonstrator, School of Natural Sciences, ECU, WA
- Member of the Royal Australian Chemical Institute (MRACI C CHEM)
- Member of the Australian Institute of Radiochemical Engineering (AIRE), Radiochemistry Education Committee
- Member of HERDSA
- Member of the Advancing Science by Enhancing Learning in the Laboratory Project (ASELL)
Awards and Recognition
University and National Teaching Awards
- 2012: Office for Learning and Teaching, Australian Awards for University Teaching - '2012 Citation for Outstanding Contribution to Student Learning'
- 2007: National Teaching Award - ‘2007 Pearson Education RACI Chemical Educator of the Year Award’
- 2003: National Teaching Award - ‘The Royal Australian Chemical Institute Centenary of Federation Teaching (Tertiary) Award in Chemistry’
- 2004: ECU Award - The Vice-Chancellor's Excellence in Teaching Award
National and International Research Positions
- 2010: HERDSA Fellow
Research Areas and Interests
- Voltammetric methods for low level detection of arsenic and lead in water and soil samples.
- Voltammetric method for the detection of barium, lead and antimony in gunshot residues.
- Investigation of the factors that affect deposition of arsenic on the surface of solid gold electrode.
- Designing multimedia chemistry teaching resources, novel experiments and lecture demonstrations for chemistry students.
- Chemical Education
- Diploma in Education, Edith Cowan University, 2001 .
- PhD, The University of Western Australia, 2001 .
- Bachelor of Science Honours, The University of Western Australia, 1992 .
Recent Research Grants
- Australian Synchrotron Access Program, Monash University, Grant - ARC Special Research Initiative in Synchrotron Science, 2012 - 2016, $57,928,988.
- National Indigenous Science Engagement Program (NICEP) - Engaging Rural, Region and Indigenous Communities in Science, The Department of Industry, Innovation, Climate Change, Science, Research and Tertiary Education , DIISRTE - Grant, 2012 - 2014, $350,000.
- Evaluation of Dewatech Water Treatment Plant - Laboratory Tests to Evaluate the Adsorption Capacity of DM165, The Department of Industry, Innovation, Climate Change, Science, Research and Tertiary Education , Enterprise Connect - RiB, 2013, $32,226.
- Investigating factors which affect electrodeposition of arsenic film on solid gold electrode using SIMS instrument., Australian Institute of Nuclear Science and Engineering, Grant, 2012, $9,300.
- Quantitative surface depth profiling of electrochemically deposited arsenic on gold electrode using ERD analysis, Australian Institute of Nuclear Science and Engineering, Grant, 2011, $6,936.
- Investigation of Arsenic Film Electrodeposited on Solid Gold Electrode Using Sims Instrument, Australian Institute of Nuclear Science and Engineering, Grant, 2010, $13,675.
- Investigating the Surface of Gold Electrode Subjected to Electrochemical Processes Using Soft X-Ray, Australian Synchrotron, Grant, 2008 - 2009, $1,486.
- Investigation of the chemical profile of the gold electrode in ASV detection of arsenic, Australian Institute of Nuclear Science and Engineering, Grant, 2008 - 2009, $10,425.
- Investigation of conditioning methods on the gold electrode surface employed in electro analyses of arsenic., Australian Institute of Nuclear Science and Engineering, Grant, 2007 - 2008, $13,525.
- The development of accurate and reliable infield methods for the detection of arsenic in ground water using simple and inexpensive electroanalytical method called 'anodic stripping voltammetry'., Edith Cowan University, ECU Early Career Researcher - Grant, 2003 - 2004, $5,500.
Recent Publications (within the last five years)
- Wajrak, M., (2010), Investigating the surface of solid gold electrode to improve the sensitivity of anodic stripping voltammetry for arsenic detection. Arsenic in Geosphere and Human Diseases; Arsenic 2010: Proceedings of the Third International Congress on Arsenic in the Environment (As-2010) , 1(10), 487-489, USA.
- Wajrak, M., Perkins, T., (2009), Authentic Assessment ? Mission Possible or Mission Impossible?. Enhancing Teaching and Learning through Assessment: Experience from the Project, 177-195, The Netherlands.
- Wajrak, M., (2009), Infield detection of arsenic using a portable digital voltameter, PDV6000. Natural arsenic in groundwaters of Latin America, 245-253, The Netherlands.
- Lewtas, P., Wajrak, M., (2012), Improved rinsing procedure for samples containing sulfide and organic interferences in determination of arsenic by voltammetry. Understanding the Geological and Medical Interface of Arsenic, As 2012 - Proceedings of the 4th International Congress on Arsenic in the Environment, 400-401.
- Wajrak, M., McCafferty, P., (2012), Validation of Portable Digital Voltammeter, PDV6000+ Instrument for Detection of Lead in Rain Water Samples in Esperance, Western Australia. Heavy Metals in the Environment: Selected Papers from the ICHMET-15 Conference, 2(19-23 September 2010), 273-286, Leiden, The Netherlands, DOI: 10.5645/b.2.23.
- Ahmed, M., Munroe, P., Jiang, Z., Zhao, X., Wajrak, M., Guo, H., Rickard, W., Xie, Z., (2012), Corrosion- and damage-resistant nitride coatings for steel. Journal of the American Ceramic Society, 95(21-23 July 2011), 2997-3004, DOI: 10.1111/j.1551-2916.2012.05328.x.
- Braungardt, C., Butterfield, M., Wajrak, M., (2010), On-site mine water analysis:application note for the PDV6000plus. Proceedings 2010 International Mine Water Association Symposium ? Mine Water and Innovative Thinking, 1(5-9 September 2010), 331-335, Sydney, Nova Scotia.
- Wajrak, M., Hart, R., Prince, K., (2010), Investigation of Electrochemically Deposited Arsenic on the Surface of Solid Gold Electrodes using SIMS, SEM and Synchrotron Soft X-rays. Proceedings of the 16th Australian Conference on Nuclear and Complementary Techniques of Analysis NCTA 2009, 1-5, Online.
- Wajrak, M., (2010), Investigating the surface of solid gold electrode to improve the sensitivity of anodic stripping voltammetry for arsenic detection. Arsenic in Geosphere and Human Diseases AS2010. Arsenic in the Environment - Proceedings, 1(17 May-21 May 10), 487-489, The Netherlands.
- McCafferty, P., Wajrak, M., (2009), Utilisation and Validation of a Rapid, On-Site Capability for Metal Analysis. Proceedings from Ozwater '09, Australia's national water conference and exhibition, 5p., Artarmon, N.S.W.