Research Areas and Interests
Dr Robert Davis
Lecturer in Vertebrate Biology
Contact Information Telephone: (61 8) 6304 5446, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Campus: Joondalup, Room: JO19.351
|Telephone:||(61 8) 6304 5446|
|Facsimile:||(61 8) 6304 5509|
- SCI2370 Wildlife Management
- SCB3201 Studies in Ecology
- SCB2424 Animal Diversity
- SCI2101 Australian Animals
- SCI5117 Biological Conservation
- SCM3201 Conservation Biology
- SCI1181 Managing the Environment
- SCI1185 Ecology
- 2009-present: Lecturer, School of Natural Sciences, Edith Cowan University
- 2008: Casual lecturer, Biology, Charles Sturt University, NSW
- 2006-2008: Postdoctoral Research Associate, School of Animal Biology, The University of Western Australia
- 2000-2008: Co-director, Western Wildlife, Self-founded environmental consultancy specialising in fauna surveys for environmental impact assessment.
- 1998: Research Officer, Department of Zoology, The University of Western Australia.
- Fellow of the Linnean Society of London
- Birds Australia
- Society for Conservation Biology
- Australian Society of Herpetologists
- Ecological Society of Australia
- Royal Society of WA
- WA Naturalists Association
Research Areas and Interests
- Conservation biology
- Ecology in fragmented landscapes
- Amphibian ecology
- Impacts of feral predation on fauna
- The impacts of threatening processes such as fire and phytophthora dieback on fauna
- Conservation ecology of Carnaby’s Black-Cockatoo (3 postgraduate students)
- Improved modeling for fragmented landscapes (PhD student)
- Impacts of fire on reptile ecology and genetics (honours student)
- Impacts of feral fox predation on ground vertebrates in the semi-arid zone (honours and PhD)
- Feeding ecology of shorebirds at salt production sites (PhD)
- Conservation ecology of pythons (Masters), conservation of semi-arid zone birds (honours)
- Doctor of Philosophy, The University of Western Australia, 2005 .
Recent Research Grants
- Impacts of fire on semi-arid shrubland birds, Gundawa Regional Conservation Association, Small Grant Scheme, 2014 - 2015, $20,000.
- Dampier Salts sites and ponds and their importance for migratory and other shorebirds, Dampier Salt Limited Perth Division, Grant-Dampsalt, 2010 - 2014, $394,997.
- Postgraduate funding support for Impacts of feral fauna predation on ground-dwelling native species at Charles Darwin Reserve, Earthwatch Institute, Earthwatch Institute - Grant, 2011 - 2014, $126,500.
- Understanding the trophic ecology and impact of feral cats in Australia?s rangelands, ANZ Executors and Trustee Company Limited, Holsworth Wildlife Research Endowment, 2014, $6,500.
- Value of revegetation for Carnaby's Black-Cockatoo, Birds Australia Western Australia Inc, Grant, 2011 - 2014, $36,000.
- Impacts of Fire on Reptiles in King's Park, Botanic Parks and Gardens Authority, Grant, 2009 - 2011, $34,190.
- The population genetic structure of Ctenotus fallens in urban habitat fragments, Botanic Parks and Gardens Authority, Grant, 2012 - 2013, $8,000.
- Movement Ecology of Carnaby's Black Cockatoo, Birds Australia Western Australia Inc, Grant, 2010 - 2012, $82,855.
- Impacts of feral fauna predation on ground-dwelling native species at Charles Darwin Reserve, Edith Cowan University, ECU Industry Collaboration - Grant, 2010, $146,984.
- Climate Change Impacts on Amphibians of South West WA; Will Frogs Survive a Drying Climate?, Edith Cowan University, ECU Early Career Researcher - Grant, 2009 - 2010, $24,812.
Recent Publications (within the last five years)
- Bertzeletos, D., Davis, R., Horwitz, P., (2012), Importance of Lake MacLeod, northwestern Australia, to shorebirds: a review and update. Journal of the Royal Society of Western Australia, 95(1), 115-124, Australia.
- Davis, R., Gole, C., Roberts, J., (2012), Impacts of urbanisation on the native avifauna of Perth, Western Australia. Urban Ecosystems, 16(3), 427-452, DOI: 10.1007/s11252-012-0275-y.
- Davis, R., Roberts, JD., (2011), Survival and population size of the frog heleioporus albopunctatus in a highly modified, agricultural landscape. Copeia, 2011(3), 423-429, DOI: 10.1643/CE-09-133.
- Davis, R., Wilcox, J., (2008), Range extension of the Western Heath Dragon Rankinia adelaidensis and Gray's legless lizard Delma grayii with notes on the distribution of southern Swan coastal plain reptiles. The Western Australian Naturalist, 26(1), 67-70.
- Davis, R., Metcalf, B., (2008), The Night Parrot (Pezoporus occidentalis) in northern Western Australia: a recent sighting from the Pilbara region. Emu: austral ornithology, 108(3), 233-236.
- Davis, R., Burbidge, AH., (2008), The Elegant Parrot (Neophema elegans) in arid regions of Western Australia. Amytornis: Western Australian Journal of Ornithology, 1(1), 1-5.
Research Student Supervision
- Master of Science (Biological Sciences), Food Resource Availability For Carnaby's Cockatoo Calyptorhynchus Latirostris On The Swan Coastal Plain..