Research Areas and Interests
Professor Pierre Horwitz
Contact Information Telephone: (61 8) 6304 5558, Email: email@example.com, Campus: Joondalup, Room: JO19.333
|Telephone:||(61 8) 6304 5558|
|Facsimile:||(61 8) 9400 5509|
- Case Studies in Science
- Catchment Health and Management
- Water and Wetlands Management
- Sustainable Water Resource Management
- Current Issues in Natural Sciences (postgraduate unit)
- Research Methods (Faculty-wide unit)
- Honours and Postgraduate (Research) Coordinator
- 2011: Professor, Edith Cowan University
- 2002-2011: Associate Professor, Edith Cowan University
- 1995-2001: Senior Lecturer, Edith Cowan University
- 1992-1994: Lecturer, Edith Cowan University
- 1987-1991: Lecturer, University of Tasmania
- Member of the Australian Society for Limnology (1983-)
- Member Ecological Society of Australia (1995-)
- Member National Tertiary Education Union (1992-)
- Member International Association for Ecology & Health (2003-)
- Member Bush Heritage Australia (1998-)
- Member, Royal Society of Western Australia (1987-)
- Member of the International Association of Astacology (1987-)
Awards and Recognition
- Founding Co-Editor, EcoHealth journal (ISI-listed)
- Has held senior positions in the Australian Society for Limnology (ASL; including as its President for a two year term 1999-2001); in Bush Heritage Australia Inc., a philanthropic organisation; in the International Association for Ecology and Health (elected as the founding Vice-President in 2006 and served for four years); and as a Founding Director of the Blackwood River Foundation.
- Appointed as theme coordinator (Wetlands and Human Health) for the Ramsar International Convention on Wetlands’ Scientific and Technical Review Panel for the 2009-2012 triennium, and has been selected for participation in other international scientific missions.
- Dr Horwitz has also been recognised for excellence in postgraduate supervision, and has examined 16 PhD theses in the last 12 years.
Research Areas and Interests
- Aquatic Ecology and Management
- Health and Ecology; Ecosystem Health
- Water and wetlands management
- The formation, degradation and management of organic rich soils; the effects of fire regimes on soil and water quality
- Taxonomy, biogeography and conservation status of aquatic invertebrates.
- The effects of forestry, fire, agriculture and urbanisation on aquatic faunas and aquatic processes
- Developing general indicators for the relationships between human health, community vitality and biophysical conditions of the environment
- Developing community participation and involvement in aquatic environmental issues, natural resource management issues
- Using narratives for landscape restoration and community capacity building in rural and regional areas
- Doctor of Philosophy, University of Tasmania, 1986 .
- Bachelor of Science Honours, The University of Western Australia, 1980 .
Recent Research Grants
- Dampier Salts sites and ponds and their importance for migratory and other shorebirds, Dampier Salt Limited Perth Division, Grant-Dampsalt, 2010 - 2014, $394,997.
- Quantification of the Biodiversity of the Lake MacLeod Northern Ponds, Dampier Salt Limited Perth Division, Grant-Dampsalt, 2010 - 2014, $433,711.
- Environmental Monitoring and Investigations for the Gnangara and Jandakot Mounds - Macroinvertebrate and Water Quality Monitoring, Department of Water (WA), Tender, 2013 - 2014, $41,615.
- Foundational aspects for a research consortium on health, water and landscapes: a database and a learning network, Edith Cowan University, ECU Development Grant, 2013 - 2014, $80,624.
- Rottnest Island Salt Lakes ? Feasibility of a Ramsar Site Nomination, Rottnest Island Authority, Grant, 2014, $5,000.
- Management of Brine Disposal into Inland Ecosystems, National Centre of Excellence in Desalination, Grant - NCED, 2010, $1,328,796.
- A Cultural Geography of the Leschenault Estuary: A social values study, Edith Cowan University, ECU Industry Collaboration Grant - 2012 (Round 1), 2012, $93,515.
- Adapting to climate change: a risk assessment and decision framework for managing groundwater dependent ecosystems with declining water levels, Department of Climate Change and Energy Efficiency, National Climate Change Adaptation Research Facility (NCCARF), 2012, $85,180.
- The Social Ecology of Ningaloo Tourism, Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation, CSIRO - Scholarship, 2008 - 2011, $75,000.
- Project 4.1 - Wetland Macroinvertebrates and Water Quality (Gnangara Mound), Department of Water (WA), Grant, 2008 - 2012, $184,031.
- Useability Index for the Swan Canning Riverpark, Swan River Trust, Grant, 2010, $60,000.
- Characterisation of Fish Usage of Yarragadee Discharge Based on Water Chemistry, Department of Water (WA), Grant, 2007 - 2009, $18,883.
- Data Audit and Research Framework for the Northern Ponds of Lake MacLeod, Dampier Salt Limited Perth Division, Grant-Dampsalt, 2009 - 2010, $25,000.
- STCRC - Sustainable Resources Research Fellow, CRC Centre for Sustainable Tourism, Fellowship, 2008 - 2010, $185,096.
- Ecosystem Services and Productive Base in the Murray Darling Basin, Murray Darling Freshwater Research Centre, Grant, 2009 - 2010, $10,000.
- An investigation of aquatic macro invertebrate occurrence and water quality at Lake Chandala (2009), Department of Environment and Conservation WA, Grant, 2009, $6,494.
- Surface and Interstitial Invertebrate Communities in in and Near Spearwood Creek, a Tributary of the Lower Blackwood River, Department of Water (WA), Grant, 2008 - 2009, $18,534.
- Surface and Interstitial Invertebrate Communities in Tributraties of the Blackwood River Receiving Discharge From the Leederville Aquifer, Department of Water (WA), Grant, 2008 - 2009, $21,212.
- Drafting Chapter for Gnangara Sustainability Strategy, Department of Environment and Conservation WA, Grant, 2008 - 2009, $8,900.
- Australian Tourism in a Water Constrained Economy: Scoping Study - Research Agenda, La Trobe University, CRC - Grant, 2008 - 2009, $15,000.
- Surface and Interstitial Invertebrate Communities in Ephemeral Tributaries of the Blackwood River in the Region of the Yarragadee Aquifer Discharge Zone , Department of Water (WA), Grant, 2008 - 2009, $15,858.
- Evaluation of Training Techniques in Systems Thinking, Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation, CSIRO - Grant, 2009, $3,000.
- Wetland Macroinvertebrates and Water Quality (Northeast Gnangara Mound), Department of Water (WA), Grant, 2008 - 2009, $14,375.
- Field studies into the biology and conservation requirements of Engaewa species in the South West and Warren DEC regions, Department of Environment and Conservation WA, Grant, 2006 - 2008, $37,500.
- Impact of Disturbed Acid Sulphate Soils on Freshwater Ecosystems, Western Australia, Department of Water (WA), Grant, 2007 - 2008, $167,019.
- Environmental Monitoring and Investigations for Gnangara Mound - Wetland Macroinvertebrate Monitoring, Department of Water (WA), Grant, 2007 - 2008, $42,847.
- Fish migration patterns in the Blackwood River, Murdoch University, Grant, 2005 - 2008, $59,992.
- Fire management implications for the wetlands on the Swan Coastal Plain, Fire and Emergency Services Authority of WA, Grant, 2006 - 2008, $58,850.
- Environmental water requirements of priority water resources in the South Coastal Region, Department of Water (WA), Grant, 2006 - 2008, $72,321.
- Assessment of Wetland Invertebrate & Fish Biodiversity for the Gnangara Sustainability Study, Department of Environment and Conservation WA, Grant, 2008, $23,715.
- Stygofauna research monitoring, Natural Resource Services Pty Ltd, Grant, 2004 - 2008, $16,800.
- Fire, organic soils and acidification, Fire and Emergency Services Authority of WA, Grant, 2006 - 2008, $75,000.
- Study of migration patterns, habitat and water requirements of fish and invertebrates in the Blackwood River, Murdoch University, Grant, 2007 - 2008, $85,552.
- Field studies into the reproduction biology and conservation requirements of Hairy Marron in the South West DEC region, Department of Environment and Conservation WA, Grant, 2007 - 2008, $13,100.
- Gnangara Mound Monitoring - macroinvertebrates, Water and Rivers Commission WA, Grant, 2000 - 2007, $225,757.
- Biological assessment of the Milyeannup Heritage Site, Bush Heritage Australia, Grant, 2007, $4,500.
- Assisting recovery actions for Margaret River Marron, South West Catchment Council, Grant, 2006 - 2007, $23,400.
- A Participatory Approach to Understanding and Monitoring Soil Health, Agriculture WA, Grant, 2006 - 2007, $2,500.
- Fish and crayfish migrations of the Blackwood River: Influence of surface and groundwater, Department of Water (WA), Grant, 2007, $34,716.
- Neerabup fire suppression research and monitoring, Fire and Emergency Services Authority of WA, Grant, 2006, $22,920.
- Vulnerability of organic soils to fire, Department of Conservation and Land Management, Grant, 2004 - 2006, $3,182.
- Indicators of ecosystem health in Western Australian recovery catchments, Australian Research Council, Grant - Linkage (Projects), 2002 - 2005, $203,048.
- Establishing best practice protocols in the management of occupational and environmental health in a high risk mining and ore processing environment., Edith Cowan University, ECU Industry Collaboration - Grant, 2003 - 2004, $40,000.
- Investigation into the use of methoxyphenol and levoglucosan as biomarkers for woodsmoke exposure. , Department of Environment WA, Grant, 2003 - 2004, $23,100.
- Inventory of the Aquatic Flora and Fauna of the Australian Bush Heritage Funds Kojonup Bush Block Wetlands, World Wide Fund for Nature Australia, Grant, 2002, $17,357.
Recent Publications (within the last five years)
- Crase, L., O'Keefe, S., Horwitz, P., Carter, M., Duncan, R., Hatton Macdonald, D., Haslam McKenzie, F., Gawne, B., (2010), Australian tourism in a water constrained economy: research agenda., 41, Gold Coast, Australia.
- Wilcox, B., Aguirre, A., Horwitz, P., (2012), Ecohealth: Connecting Ecology, Health and Sustainability. New Directions in Conservation Medicine: Applied Cases of Ecological Health, 17-32, New York.
- Horwitz, P., Carter, M., (2011), Access to Inland Waters for Tourism: Ecosystem Services and Trade-offs. Water Policy, Tourism and Recreation: Lessons from Australia, 52-66, London, UK.
- Horwitz, P., Wardell-Johnson, G., (2009), Cultural Conservation Biology. Environmental Biology, 559-577, Port Melbourne, Australia.
- Wardell-Johnson, G., Horwitz, P., (2009), The Science of Conservation Biology. Environmental Biology, 539-558, Port Melbourne, Australia.
- Burnham, Q., Koenders, A., Horwitz, P., (2012), The status of the critically endangered freshwater crayfi sh Engaewa pseudoreducta (Crustacea: Parastacidae) in south-western Australia. Records of the Western Australian Museum, 27(1), 45-54, Perth Western Australia.
- Bertzeletos, D., Davis, R., Horwitz, P., (2012), Importance of Lake MacLeod, northwestern Australia, to shorebirds: a review and update. Journal of the Royal Society of Western Australia, 95(1), 115-124, Australia.
- Hahn, MB., Barrett, MA., Horwitz, P., (2012), Student dialogues: EcoHealth offers a home to the interdisciplinary student. EcoHealth, 9(3), 241-242, DOI: 10.1007/s10393-012-0788-0.
- Horwitz, P., (2012), Erratum to: From Pillars to Principles: Affirming the Field of Ecohealth. EcoHealth, 1, DOI: 10.1007/s10393-012-0802-6.
- Horwitz, P., Finlayson, C., (2012), Water and Health: on the notion of a healthy wetland. Human Evolution, 27(1-3), 65-69, Firenze, Italy.
- Blake, D., Lu, K., Horwitz, P., Boyce, M., (2012), Fire suppression and burnt sediments: effects on the water chemistry of fire-affected wetlands. International Journal of Wildland Fire, 21(5), 557-561, Australia, DOI: 10.1071/WF10125.
- Horwitz, P., Spini, L., Campbell, K., Thomas, RJ., Mulongoy, J., (2011), The relationship between water, health and global environmental change, as interpreted through five key Multilateral Environmental Agreements (MEAs). Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability, 3(6), 520-526, DOI: 10.1016/j.cosust.2011.10.001.
- Kumar, R., Horwitz, P., Milton, GR., Sellamuttu, S., Buckton, S., Davidson, N., Pattnaik, A., Zavagli, M., Baker, C., (2011), Assessing wetland ecosystem services and poverty interlinkages: a general framework and case study. Hydrological Sciences Journal, 56(8), 1602?1621, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/02626667.2011.631496.
- Cromie, R., Davidson, N., Galbraith, C., Hagemeijer, W., Horwitz, P., Lee, R., Mundkur, T., Stroud, D., (2011), Responding to Emerging Challenges: Multilateral Environmental Agreements and Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza H5N1. Journal of International Wildlife Law & Policy, 14(3-4), 206?242, DOI: 10.1080/13880292.2011.626711.
- Boschetti, F., Yves-Hardy, P., Grigg, N., Horwitz, P., (2011), Can we learn how systems work?. Emergence: Complexity and Organisation. , 13(4), 47-62.
- Horwitz, P., Finlayson, CM., (2011), Wetlands as settings for human health: Incorporating ecosystem services and health impact assessment into water resource management. BioScience, 61(9), 678-688, USA, DOI: 10.1525/bio.2011.61.9.6.
- McCullough, C., Horwitz, P., (2010), Vulnerability of organic acid tolerant wetland biota to the effects of inorganic acidification. Science of the Total Environment, 408(8), 1868-1877, DOI: 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2010.01.034.
- Blake, D., Hinwood, A., Horwitz, P., (2009), Peat fires and air quality: volatile organic compounds and particulates. Chemosphere, 76(3), 419-423, United Kingdom, DOI: 10.1016/j.chemosphere.2009.03.047.
- Horwitz, P., Rogan, R., Halse, S., Davis, J., Sommer, B., (2009), Wetland Invertebrate Richness and Endemism on the Swan Coastal Plain,Western Australia. Marine and Freshwater Research, 60(10), 1006-1020, Australia, DOI: 10.1071/MF08204.
- Schultz, M., Smith, S., Horwitz, P., Richardson, A., Crandall, K., Austin, C., (2009), Evolution underground: A molecular phylogenetic investigation of Australian burrowing freshwater crayfish (Decapoda: Parastacidae) with particular focus on Engaeus Erichson. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution, 50(3), 580-598, DOI: 10.1016/j.ympev.2008.11.025.
- Parkes, M., Horwitz, P., (2009), Water, ecology and health: Ecosystems as settings for promoting health and sustainability. Health Promotion International, 24(1), 94-102, DOI: 10.1093/heapro/dan044.
- Sommer, B., Horwitz, P., (2009), Macroinvertebrate Cycles of Decline and Recovery in Swan Coastal Plain (Western Australia) Wetlands Affected by Drought Induced Acidification. Hydrobiologia: the international journal on limnology and marine sciences, 624(1), 191-203, The Netherlands, DOI: 10.1007/s10750-008-9692-6.
- Horwitz, P., Bradshaw, D., Hopper, S., Davies, P., Froend, R., Bradshaw, F., (2008), Hydrological change escalates risk of ecosystem stress in Australia's threatened biodiversity hotspot. Journal of the Royal Society of Western Australia, 91(1), 1-11, Australia.
- Schultz, M., Ierdiaconou, D., Smith, S., Horwitz, P., Richardson, A., Crandall, K., Austin, C., (2008), Sea-Level Changes and Palaeo-Ranges: Reconstruction of ancient Shorelines and River Drainages and the Phylogeography of the Australian Land Crayfish Engaeus Sericatus Clark (Decapoda: Parastacidae). Molecular Ecology, 17 (24), 5291-5314, UK.
- Hinwood, A., Horwitz, P., Rogan, R., (2008), Human exposure to metals in groundwater affected by acid sulfate soil disturbance. Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, 55(3), 538-545.
- Horwitz, P., (2010), The conservation status of freshwater crayfish: the basis for concern, listing and recovery processes, and community involvement. Freshwater Crayfish 17: Papers from the Seventeenth International Symposium on Freshwater Crayfish, 17(4-8 August, 2008), 1-12, Kuopio, Finland.
- Chapman, K., Horwitz, P., Scherrer, P., Northcote, J., (2009), Tourism research to tourism practice: The need for adaptive institutions in Western Australia's Ningaloo region. Proceedings of the 18th Annual CAUTHE conference. See change: tourism and hospitality in a dynamic world, 8p., Western Australia.
- Bunn, J., Koenders, A., Austin, C., Horwitz, P., (2008), Identification Of Hairy, Smooth And Hybrid Marron (Decapoda: Parastacidae) In The Margaret River: Morphology And Allozymes. Proceedings of the 16th Symposium of the International Association of Astacology, 16(31 July - 4 August, 2006), 113-121, Auburn University, Alabama .
Research Student Supervision
- Origin And Fate Of Organic Matter In South-west Australian Wetlands.
- Master of Science (Environmental Management), The Role Of Farm Dams As Refugia For Aquatic Invertebrates In A Salinized Landscape..
- Doctor of Philosophy, Factors Controlling Wetland Sediment Response To Alternate Wetting And Drying And How This Affects Water Quality..
- Aspects Of The Taxonomy And Ecology Of The Ground Beetle (coleoptera: Carabidae) Assemblage Of The Swan Coastal Plain (with Particular Reference To Habitat Fragmentation And The Quindalup Dune System).
- Master of Science (Environmental Management), Understanding And Disrupting Institutional Settings: Using Networks Of Conversations To Re-imagine Future Farming Lives..
- Doctor of Philosophy, Terrestrial Isopods (crustacea: Oniscidea) And Biogeographical Patterns In South-western Australia..
- Doctor of Philosophy, The Nature Of Urban Communities: An Exploration Of Relationships Between Urban Green Space, Environmental Connection And Health..
- Doctor of Philosophy, Seeing Through Others' Eyes: Towards A Hybrid Ecology Of Marine Turtle And Dugong In Australia.
- Doctor of Philosophy, Seeing Through Others Eyes: Exploring Western Scientific And Indigenous Environmental Knowledge..
- Master of Science (Environmental Management), Participatory Approaches For Interpretation Planning In A World Heritage Area..
- Doctor of Philosophy, Complexity & Creative Capacity: Reformulating The Problem Of Knowledge Transfer In Environmental Management..
- Doctor of Philosophy, Factors Influencing The Capacity Of Communities To Respond To Coastal Erosion In The Uper Gulf Of Thailand..
- Doctor of Philosophy, The Relationship Between The Meaning Of Water And Sense Of Place: A Grounded Theory Study From Northern Thailand..
- Master of Science (Environmental Management), Investigation Of The Replacement Of The Margaret River Hairy Marron Cherax Tenuimanus (smith 1912) By The Smooth Marron C.cainii (austin 2002)..
- A Framework For River Restoration Planning. Considering Conceptual And Structural Perspectives From Case Studies Of The Liao River In China And Kalgan River In Australia.
- Influence Of Adjacent Seagrass On The Fish Assemblages Off Sandy Beaches.
- Doctor of Philosophy, Inorganic Hydrogeochemical Responses To Fires In Wetland Sediments On The Swan Coastal Plain, Western Australia..
- Doctor of Philosophy, Identification Of Social Water Requirements For Water Resource Planning..
- Doctor of Philosophy, Justice And Scale In Water Allocation.
- Evaluation Of Revegetation Techniques Used On Degraded Agricultural Land In The Central Avon Catchment, Western Australia.
- Master of Science (Environmental Management), Defining Appropriate Options For Post-closure Land Use Of Tamala Park Landfill: A Community Participation Process, Western Australia.