Research Areas and Interests
Dr Annette Koenders
Contact Information Telephone: (61 8) 6304 5513, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Campus: Joondalup, Room: JO19.342
|Telephone:||(61 8) 6304 5513|
|Facsimile:||(61 8) 6304 5509|
- 308 Bachelor of Science
- K49 Bachelor of Science / Bachelor of Business
- G83 BSc (Forensic & Biomolecular Science)
- SCI1183 Origins & Evolution of Life
- SCB2222 Cellular & Molecular Biology
- SCI2191 Bioinformatics
- SCB3322 Applications in Molecular Biology
- Teaching component in Comparative & Environmental Physiology
- 1994-present: Academic, Edith Cowan University WA
- 2005-2007: TEE Biology examiner, Curriculum Council WA
- 1990-1992: Research Fellow (ARC), La Trobe University Bundoora VIC
- 1988-1989: Research Officer (NHMRC), Monash University Clayton VIC
- Australian Society for Limnology: 2008-present
- International Astacology Association: 2007-present
- Australian Institute of Biology, Fellow: 2005-present
- Australian Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology: 2004-present
- Higher Education Research and Development Society of Australasia: 2002-present
- Centre for Ecosystem Management: 2001-present
- Freshwater Fish Working Group WA: 2001-2004
- Australian & New Zealand Society for Comparative Physiology & Biochemistry: 1995-present
Awards and Recognition
University and National Teaching Awards
- 1999 - Teaching Fellowship Award for Excellence in Teaching, Edith Cowan University WA
- Monash Graduate Scholarship 1983-1986
Research Areas and Interests
- Influence of water physicochemistry on freshwater invertebrates
- Biogeography of freshwater crayfish in the south west of Australia
- DNA barcoding
- Molecular evolution and population genetics
- Grad Certificate in Education, Edith Cowan University, 2003 .
- PhD, Monash University, 1988 .
- Bachelor of Science Honours, Monash University, 1982 .
Recent Research Grants
- Microbes: The Missing Link in Coastal Landscape Connectivity, Department of Environment and Conservation WA, Marine Science Program, 2013 - 2016, $90,000.
- The systematics of the harvestman genus Nunciella (Opiliones: Triaenonychidae) in south-western Australia: a morphological and molecular approach, Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities, Australian Biological Resources Study Honours Scholarships, Masters Scholarships, APA top-ups and non-salaried researcher grants 2012/2013, 2012, $10,000.
- Biodiversity and taxonomy of Ostracoda (Crustacea) from temporary water bodies of inland Western Australia., Edith Cowan University, ECU Industry Collaboration - Grant, 2011, $107,906.
- Characterisation of Fish Usage of Yarragadee Discharge Based on Water Chemistry, Department of Water (WA), Grant, 2007 - 2009, $18,883.
- Surface and Interstitial Invertebrate Communities in Ephemeral Tributaries of the Blackwood River in the Region of the Yarragadee Aquifer Discharge Zone , Department of Water (WA), Grant, 2008 - 2009, $15,858.
- Surface and Interstitial Invertebrate Communities in Tributraties of the Blackwood River Receiving Discharge From the Leederville Aquifer, Department of Water (WA), Grant, 2008 - 2009, $21,212.
- Surface and Interstitial Invertebrate Communities in in and Near Spearwood Creek, a Tributary of the Lower Blackwood River, Department of Water (WA), Grant, 2008 - 2009, $18,534.
- Field studies into the biology and conservation requirements of Engaewa species in the South West and Warren DEC regions, Department of Environment and Conservation WA, Grant, 2006 - 2008, $37,500.
- Study of migration patterns, habitat and water requirements of fish and invertebrates in the Blackwood River, Murdoch University, Grant, 2007 - 2008, $85,552.
- Field studies into the reproduction biology and conservation requirements of Hairy Marron in the South West DEC region, Department of Environment and Conservation WA, Grant, 2007 - 2008, $13,100.
- Fish migration patterns in the Blackwood River, Murdoch University, Grant, 2005 - 2008, $59,992.
- Fish and crayfish migrations of the Blackwood River: Influence of surface and groundwater, Department of Water (WA), Grant, 2007, $34,716.
- Assisting recovery actions for Margaret River Marron, South West Catchment Council, Grant, 2006 - 2007, $23,400.
- Investigating the Tuarts of the lower Moore River, Department of Conservation and Land Management, Grant, 2006 - 2007, $10,000.
- Corbett Research 'RotorGene' 2 channel real-time DNA multiplexing system, Ramaciotti Foundations, Grant, 2004 - 2005, $49,000.
Recent Publications (within the last five years)
- Koenders, A., (2009), The cell cycle. Environmental Biology, 88-112, Port Melbourne.
- Shearn, R., Koenders, A., Halse, S., Schoen, I., Martens, K., (2012), A review of Bennelongia De Deckker & McKenzie, 1981(Crustacea, Ostracoda) species from eastern Australia with the description of three new species. European Journal of Taxonomy, 25(N/A), 1-35, DOI: 10.5852/ejt.2012.25.
- Koenders, A., Martens, K., Halse, S., Schoen, I., (2012), Cryptic species of the Eucypris virens species complex (Ostracoda, Crustacea) from Europe have invaded Western Australia. Biological Invasions, 14(10), 2187-2201, DOI: 10.1007/s10530-012-0224-y.
- Burnham, Q., Koenders, A., Horwitz, P., (2012), The status of the critically endangered freshwater crayfi sh Engaewa pseudoreducta (Crustacea: Parastacidae) in south-western Australia. Records of the Western Australian Museum, 27(1), 45-54, Perth Western Australia.
- Hunt, L., Koenders, A., Gynnild, V., (2011), Assessing practical laboratory skills in undergraduate molecular biology courses. Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education, n/a(n/a), 1-14, iFIRST on-line, DOI: 10.1080/02602938.2011.576313.
- Bunn, J., Koenders, A., Austin, C., Horwitz, P., (2008), Identification Of Hairy, Smooth And Hybrid Marron (Decapoda: Parastacidae) In The Margaret River: Morphology And Allozymes. Proceedings of the 16th Symposium of the International Association of Astacology, 16(31 July - 4 August, 2006), 113-121, Auburn University, Alabama .
Research Student Supervision
- Doctor of Philosophy, Soil Community Structure And Litter Decomposition Under Irrigated Eucalyptus Globulus In South Western Australia..
- Master of Science (Environmental Management), Investigation Of The Replacement Of The Margaret River Hairy Marron Cherax Tenuimanus (smith 1912) By The Smooth Marron C.cainii (austin 2002)..