Research Areas and Interests
Dr Eddie van Etten
Contact Information Telephone: (61 8) 6304 5566, Mobile: 0418903983, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Campus: Joondalup, Room: JO19.335
|Telephone:||(61 8) 6304 5566|
- SCM3204 - Ecosystem Management
- SCI2115 - Ecological Restoration
- SCI5125 - Forest Ecology and Management
- SCI5110 - Waste Management
- SCI2269 - Silviculture
- SCI1186 - Understanding Pollution
- Ecological Society of Australia
- International Association of Vegetation Science
- Association for Fire Ecology
- Institute of Foresters of Australia
Awards and Recognition
- 2000 - Awarded Chancellor's Commendation (Curtin University) for PhD.
Research Areas and Interests
- Terrestrial plant ecology and management in arid zones, urban areas, and forested ecosystems, including fire ecology/management and ecosystem restoration
- Fire Ecology
- Vegetation Analysis and Mapping
- Restoration Ecology
- Arid Zone Ecology
- Urban Ecology
- Doctor of Philosophy, Curtin University of Technology, 2000 .
- Master of Applied Science, Curtin University of Technology, 1987 .
- Bachelor of Science, The University of Melbourne, 1985 .
Recent Research Grants
- Ecohydrological Habitat Characterisation and Modelling to Improve Restoration Prioritisation and Outcomes within Former Pine Plantation Areas of the Gnangara Mound, Western Australia, Department of Environment and Conservation WA, Grant, 2012 - 2015, $146,314.
- Impacts of fire on semi-arid shrubland birds, Gundawa Regional Conservation Association, Small Grant Scheme, 2014 - 2015, $20,000.
- Topsoil Assessment for Roy Hill Project Area, Roy Hill, Grant, 2013 - 2014, $56,875.
- Understanding the trophic ecology and impact of feral cats in Australia?s rangelands, ANZ Executors and Trustee Company Limited, Holsworth Wildlife Research Endowment, 2014, $6,500.
- Fire and establishment of Jarrah seedlings in shelterwood, Department of Conservation and Land Management, Grant, 2006 - 2010, $75,000.
- Assesment of Topsoil For Restoration in the Northern Goldfields Region, Toro Energy Ltd, Grant, 2010, $14,957.
- Response of Vegetation to Fire Frequency on Charles Darwin Reserve, Bush Heritage Australia, Grant, 2011, $10,000.
- Monitoring of Soil for Herbicide Residues in Urban Parks and Bushland Reserves, City of Joondalup, Grant, 2009, $9,620.
- Vegetation Study and Interpretation for Mt Gibson Sanctuary, Australian Wildlife Conservancy, Grant, 2008 - 2009, $7,272.
- Rehabilitation of Kemerton Silica Sands Dredge Ponds: Natural Wetland Characterisation, Kemerton Silica Sand Pty Ltd, Grant, 2007 - 2008, $17,898.
- Rehabilitation of Kemerton Silica Sands Dredge Ponds: Rehabilitation Assessment Improvement, Kemerton Silica Sand Pty Ltd, Grant, 2007 - 2008, $32,472.
- Fire management implications for the wetlands on the Swan Coastal Plain, Fire and Emergency Services Authority of WA, Grant, 2006 - 2008, $58,850.
- Grasstrees and mining: understanding the distribution of Xanthorrhoea preissii in the jarrah forest and the potential impact of bauxite mining, Alcoa World Alumina Australia, Grant, 2006 - 2008, $10,000.
- Development of a Rehabilitation Plan for the Dredge Ponds of the Kemerton Silica Sand Pty Ltd Operational Site, Kemerton Silica Sand Pty Ltd, Grant, 2006 - 2008, $10,111.
- Investigating the Tuarts of the lower Moore River, Department of Conservation and Land Management, Grant, 2006 - 2007, $10,000.
- Vegetation studies of eastern goldfields - Kalgoorlie, Placer Dome Asia Pacific Pty Ltd, Grant, 2005 - 2006, $28,000.
- Community involvement - how can it make tropical forest management sustainable?, International Tropical Timber Organisation, Grant, 2000 - 2002, $14,500.
- Improvement of Pines for revegetating the intermediate rainfall zone of Western Australia's wheatbelt., Edith Cowan University, ECU Industry Collaboration - Grant, 2002, $40,000.
Recent Publications (within the last five years)
- Van Etten, E., (2011), The role and value of riparian vegetation for mine pit lakes. Mine Pit Lakes: Closure and Management , 91-106, Perth.
- Van Etten, E., (2010), Fire in rangelands and its role in management. Encyclopedia of Life Support Systems. Range and Animal Sciences and Resources Management, 2(14), 146-170, United Kingdom.
- Calvino-Cancela, M., Rubido-Bara, M., Van Etten, E., (2012), Do eucalypt plantations provide habitat for native forest biodiversity?. Forest Ecology and Management, 270(15 April), 153-162, DOI: 10.1016/j.foreco.2012.01.019.
- Prober, S., Thiele, K., Rundel, P., Yates, C., Berry, S., Byrne, M., Christidis, L., Gosper, C., Grierson, P., Lemson, K., Lyons, T., Macfarlane, C., O'Connor, M., Scott, J., Standish, R., Stock, W., Van Etten, E., Wardell-Johnson, G., Watson, A., (2012), Facilitating adaptation of biodiversity to climate change: a conceptual framework applied to the world?s largest Mediterranean-climate woodland. Climatic Change: an interdisciplinary, international journal devoted to the description, causes and implications of climatic change, 110(1-2), 227?248, DOI: 10.1007/s10584-011-0092-y.
- Van Etten, E., McCullough, C., Lund, M., (2012), Importance of topography and topsoil selection and storage in successfully rehabilitating post-closure sand mines featuring pit lakes. Transactions of the Institutions of Mining and Metallurgy Section A: Mining Technology, 121(3), 139-150, DOI: 10.1179/1743286312Y.0000000017.
- McCullough, C., Van Etten, E., (2011), Ecological Restoration of Novel Lake Districts: New Approaches for New Landscapes. Mine Water and the Environment, 30(4), 312-319, DOI: 10.1007/s10230-011-0161-5.
- Short, M., Smith, FP., Van Etten, E., (2009), Oil mallees provide foraging habitat for the Western Pygmy Possum (Cercartetus concinnus) in the wheatbelt of Western Australia. Ecological Management and Restoration, 10(3), 233-236, DOI: 10.1111/j.1442-8903.2009.00495.x.
- Van Etten, E., Vellekoop, S., (2009), Response of fringing vegetation to flooding and discharge of hypersaline water at Lake Austin, Western Australia. Hydrobiologia: the international journal on limnology and marine sciences, 626(1), 67-77, DOI: 10.1007/s10750-009-9737-5.
- Van Etten, E., (2009), Inter-annual rainfall variability in arid Australia: greater than elsewhere?. Australian Geographer, 40(1), 109-120, Sydney, DOI: 10.1080/00049180802657075.
- Scott, R., Van Etten, E., (2012), Workplace Integrated Learning, Environmental Volunteering or Service Learning?. ECULTURE 2012: Illuminating Our Practice, paper #8, Perth, Australia.
- Van Etten, E., McCullough, C., Lund, M., (2011), Sand Mining Restoration on the Swan Coastal Plain using Topsoil ? Learning from Monitoring of previous Rehabilitation Attempts. Heavy Minerals 2011: Eighth International Heavy Minerals Conference. Proceedings , 323-338, Carlton South.
- Van Etten, E., McCullough, C., Lund, M., (2011), Setting restoration goals for restoring pit lakes as aquatic ecosystems ? a case study from southwest Australia. Heavy Minerals 2011: Eighth International Heavy Minerals Conference. Proceedings , 339-350, Carlton South, Victoria.
Research Student Supervision
- Master of Science (Environmental Management), Death Of Mulga (acacia Aneura) Adjacent To Haul Roads In The Northern Goldfields Western Australia..
- Master of Science (Environmental Management), Environmental Correlates And Associates Of Tuart Decline..
- Master of Science (Environmental Management), Alternative Rehabilitation Techniques And Sustainable Outcomes From Mining Using Appropriate Enviornmental Management And Mine Closure Planning In Arid Region Of Wa..
- Master of Science (Environmental Management), Defining Appropriate Options For Post-closure Land Use Of Tamala Park Landfill: A Community Participation Process, Western Australia.