Dr Mary Boyce
|Telephone:||(61 8) 6304 5273|
- SCC1111 General Chemistry
- SCC2301 Forensic and Analytical Chemistry
- SCC3201 Analytical Chemistry
- SCC3304 Chemistry Project
- Applied and Analytical Chemistry
- 1990 - Lecturer Waterford Institute of Technology, Ireland
- 1992 - Associate Lecturer, Edith Cowan University
- 1996 - Lecturer, Edith Cowan University
- 2001 - Senior Lecturer, Edith Cowan University
Research Areas and Interests
Analytical chemistry is my principal area of research. In particular, I have been active in the development and application of emerging analytical technologies including capillary electrophoresis and solid-phase microextraction. My work involves fundamental chemical research to better understand the chemical processes involved in isolating and separating target compounds. As an analytical chemist, I also get the opportunity to collaborate with scientists on a range of projects including: determining secondary metabolites that protect plants against herbivore attack; phenolic, sugar and amino acid profiles in WA seagrasses; using metabolomics to better understand polycystic kidney disease, phyochemicals in vegetables and additives in food.
- GradCert (Graduate Certificate), Edith Cowan University, 2010 .
- Doctor of Philosophy, Ireland, 1991 .
- Bachelor of Science, Ireland, 1987 .
Recent Research Grants
- Micropropagation and Clonal Variation of Teak (Tectona Grandis), Integrated Tree Cropping Pty Ltd, Grant, 2007 - 2008, $70,638.
- Selection and Clonal propagation of high yielding hazel ( Corylus avellana) for improved truffle (Tuber melanosporum) and hazelnut production, Edith Cowan University, ECU Industry Collaboration - Grant, 2008, $152,700.
- Clonal propagation of hazel (Corylus avellana) for increased nut and truffle production, Wine and Truffle Company, Grant, 2007 - 2008, $7,219.
- Determination of optimal storage conditions for the transportation of Western Australian grown Tuber melanosporum to international markets, Wine and Truffle Company, Grant, 2007, $8,510.
- Micropropagation and clonal variation of Teak (Tectona grandis), Rewards Group Ltd, Grant, 2005 - 2006, $68,289.
- Establishing best practice protocols in the management of occupational and environmental health in a high risk mining and ore processing environment., Edith Cowan University, ECU Industry Collaboration - Grant, 2003 - 2004, $40,000.
Recent Publications (within the last five years)
- Lavery, P., McMahon, K., Weyers, J., Boyce, M., Oldham, CE., (2013), Release of dissolved organic carbon from seagrasswrack and its implications for trophic connectivity. Marine Ecology Progress Series, 494(1), 121-133, Ohne, Germany, DOI: 10.3354/meps10554.
- Kalsoom, U., Boyce, M., Bennett, I., Veraplakorn, V., (2013), Simultaneous determination of key osmoregulants in halophytes using HPLC-ELSD. Chromatographia, 76(17-18), 1125-1130, Berlin, DOI: 10.1007/s10337-013-2494-7.
- Callan, A., Hinwood, A., Ramalingam, M., Boyce, M., Heyworth, J., McCafferty, P., Odland, J., (2013), Maternal Exposure to Metals ? Concentrations and Predictors of Exposure. Environmental Research, 126( ), 111-117, DOI: 10.1016/j.envres.2013.07.004.
- Hinwood, A., Callan, A., Ramalingam, M., Boyce, M., Heyworth, J., McCafferty, P., Odland, J., (2013), Cadmium, lead and mercury exposure in non smoking pregnant women. Environmental Research, 126( ), 118-124.
- Abbiss, H., Maker, GL., Gummer, J., Sharman, M., Phillips, JK., Boyce, M., Trengove, RD., (2012), Development of a non-targeted metabolomics method to investigate urine in a rat model of polycystic kidney disease. Nephrology, 17(2), 104-110, DOI: 10.1111/j.1440-1797.2011.01532.x.
- Mahmood, T., Anwar, F., Abbas, M., Boyce, M., Saari, N., (2012), Compositional variation in sugars and organic acids at different maturity stages in selected small fruits from Pakistan. International Journal of Molecular Sciences, 13(2), 1380-1392, DOI: 10.3390/ijms13021380.
- Lee, I., Boyce, M., Breadmore, MC., (2012), Extraction and on-line concentration of flavonoids in Brassica oleracea by capillary electrophoresis using large volume sample stacking. Food Chemistry, 133(1), 205-211, DOI: 10.1016/j.foodchem.2012.01.006.
- Blake, D., Lu, K., Horwitz, P., Boyce, M., (2012), Fire suppression and burnt sediments: effects on the water chemistry of fire-affected wetlands. International Journal of Wildland Fire, 21(5), 557-561, Australia, DOI: 10.1071/WF10125.
- Lee, I., Boyce, M., Breadmore, MC., (2011), A rapid quantitative determination of phenolic acids in Brassica oleracea by capillary zone electrophoresis. Food Chemistry, 127(2), 797-801, DOI: 10.1016/j.foodchem.2011.01.015.
- Lee, I., Boyce, M., (2011), Extraction and purification of glucoraphanin by preparative high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC). Journal of Chemical Education, 88(6), 832-834, DOI: 10.1021/ed1000872.
- Callan, A., Winters, M., Barton, C., Boyce, M., Hinwood, A., (2011), Children's Exposure to Metals: A Community-Initiated Study. Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, N/A(N/A), N/A, DOI: 10.1007/s00244-011-9727-2.
- Ahmad, N., Anwar, F., Hameed, S., Boyce, M., (2011), Antioxidant and antimicrobial attributes of different solvent extracts from leaves and flowers of akk [Calotropis procera (Ait.) Ait. F.)]. Journal of Medicinal Plants Research, 5(19), 4879-4887.
- Lee, I., Boyce, M., Breadmore, M., (2010), Quantitative determination of glucoraphanin in Brassica vegetables by micellar electrokinetic capillary chromatography. Analytica Chimica Acta, 663(1), 105-108, Netherlands, DOI: 10.1016/j.aca.2010.01.043.
- Darji, V., Boyce, M., Bennett, I., Breadmore, M., Quirino, J., (2010), Determination of food grade antioxidants using microemulsion electrokinetic chromatography. Electrophoresis, 31(13), 2267-2271, Weinheim, Germany, DOI: 10.1002/elps.201000050.
Research Student Supervision
- Doctor of Philosophy, Metal Exposure In Non- Occupationally Exposed Pregnant Women Of Western Australia And Contribution Of Environmental Sources..
- Analysis Of The Volatile Components In Vanilla Extracts And Flavourings By Solid-phase Microextraction And Gas Chromatography.
- Doctor of Philosophy, Development Of Capillary Electrophoresis For The Analysis Of Phenolics And Glucoraphanin In Brassica Oleracea..
- Doctor of Philosophy, Factors Controlling Wetland Sediment Response To Alternate Wetting And Drying And How This Affects Water Quality..
- Doctor of Philosophy, Inorganic Hydrogeochemical Responses To Fires In Wetland Sediments On The Swan Coastal Plain, Western Australia..
- Master of Science (Biological Sciences), A Salt On The Land: The Osmolyte Production And Physiological Responses Of Selected Myrtaceae Species Exposed To Salt And Water Stress..
- Master of Science (Biological Sciences), Verticordia Micropropagation Through Direct Ex Vitro Rooting..