Associate Professor Kate Andre
Associate Head of School
Contact Information Telephone: (61 8) 6304 3476
Mobile: 0428 279 866,
- NMS3021 - Pathophysiology and Pharmacology 3
- 2012: Associate Dean (Learning and Teaching), Faculty of Computing, Health and Science, ECU
- 2011: Associate Professor Nursing Education, ECU
- 2005-2010: Lecturer C, Program Director, Project Leader, School or Nursing and Midwifery, University of South Australia
- 2004-2005: Project Officer - 'Nurse Care Improvement Project' in Dubai, Aus-training International
- 2002-2004: Clinical Placement Unit Coordinator/Lecturer C, School of Nursing and Midwifery, University of South Australia
- 1990-2002: Lecturer B, School of Nursing and Midwifery, University of South Australia
- 1988-1989: Senior Tutor in Nursing, South Australian College of Advanced Education
- 1985-1986: Casual Tutor, Department of Pedagogy and Scientific Studies in Education, James Cook University
- 1981-1988: Level 1 and Level 2 Registered Nurse, Royal Adelaide Hospital and Townsville General Hospital
- Royal College of Nursing Australia
- Higher Education Research and Development Society of Australia
- National League for Nursing (USA)
Awards and Recognition
University and National Teaching Awards
- 2009: Nominated for the University of South Australia Award for Teaching Excellence: Citation for Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning (Team Entry)
- 1999: Supported Academic Teacher Award, 'Excellence in Teaching' - Development and Management of the Re-entry program for Registered Nurses
- 2002: Vice-Chancellor's Award for Innovation; Process Improvement - "School of Nursing Innovative Allocation (SONIA)' in arranging students' clinical placements
Research Areas and Interests
- Impacts of nurse education
PhD (Doctoral Degree), The Flinders University of South Australia, 2003 .
M (Master Degree), The Flinders University of South Australia, 1994 .
B (Bachelor Degree), The Flinders University of South Australia, 1989 .
Dip (Diploma), The Flinders University of South Australia, 1981 .
Recent Research Grants
Developing and evaluating an assessment and planning instrument to facilitate resources to support Aboriginal people who undertake nursing education,
Department of Health WA,
2014 - 2016, $68,394.
Investigating the factors influencing recruitment, retention and transition to workforce of Aboriginal people undertaking nursing studies at an educational centre in Western Australia,
Department of Health WA,
Enhancing Capacity for Quality Simulation "Embedding Simulation in Clinical Training - Improving Efficiency" Program,
University of Wollongong,
Health Workforce Australia,
2012 - 2013, $39,999.
Recent Publications (within the last five years)
Wang, C., Andre, K., Greenwood, K., (2014), Chinese students studying at Australian universities with specific reference to nursing students: A narrative literature review. Nurse Education Today, n/a(n/a), n/a, UK, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2014.12.005.
Andre, K., Barnes, L., (2010), Creating a 21st century nursing work force: Designing a Bachelor of Nursing program in response to the health reform agenda. Nurse Education Today, 30(3), 258-263, London, UK.
Andre, K., (2010), E-portfolios for the aspiring professional. Collegian, 17(3), 119-124.
Andre, K., Ewens, B., Foxall, F., (2013), Work Integrated Learning: A Whole of Curriculum Approach. Work Integrated Learning: A Whole of Curriculum Approach, Xp., Durban, South Africa.
Research Student Supervision
The Implementation Of Graduate Attributes: Does This Require A Change In Curriculum Design?.
Peer Teaching And Learning In Clinical Education: A Systematic Review Of Literature.
Doctor of Philosophy, The Impact Of Implementing A Sudden Infant Death Syndrome Education Package In Jordan.
The Effectiveness Of Simulation Activities On The Cognitive Abilities Of Undergraduate Third-year Nursing Students: A Randomised Control Trial.