Contact Information Telephone: (61 8) 6304 3544, Mobile: 0488203888, Email: email@example.com, Campus: Joondalup, Room: JO21.406
- Postgraduate Supervision
- Coordinator for Research and Higher Degrees and Honours
- January 2008-December 2009: Associate Professor, WA Centre for Cancer and Palliative Care, Curtin University of Technology, Shenton Park
- June 2009: Acting Director, WA Centre for Cancer and Palliative Care, Curtin University of Technology, Shenton Park
- November 2004-June 2008: Research/Project Coordinator, Nursing Administration, St John of God Hospital, Subiaco
- January2004-2007: Post Doctoral Research Fellow, National Health and Medical Research Council
- June 2005-October 2005: Acting Director, Centre for Nursing Research, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Nedlands, WA
- August 2002-May 2006: Research Fellow in Clinical Nursing, Centre for Nursing, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital and School of Nursing, Midwifery and Postgraduate Medicine, Edith Cowan University (WA Centre for Cancer and Palliative Care)
- January 2002-August 2002: Research Associate for project “Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillators: A qualitative study on recipients’ and family care givers’ experiences concerns and needs” (S. McRae, A. Williams, S. Nikoletti, J. Young), University Department of Nursing Research, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Nedlands, WA
- February 2000-May 2000: Research Assistant. Carried out interviews for project “The provision of professional pharmacy services by a ‘general practice pharmacist’ – a clinical and economic evaluation” (P.A. Whitehead, V.B. Sunderland, S.I. & Benriomoi), School of Pharmacy, Curtin University of Technology, Bentley, WA.
- May 1999-July 1999: Researcher (Sessional). Performed literature reviews and analysed qualitative data concerning the experience patterns of patients with diabetes for B. O’Connell and P. Rapley. Centre for Nursing Research and Development, Curtin University of Technology, Bentley, WA.
- April 1998-May 1998: Clinical Tutor (Sessional), Bethesda Hospital, Claremont, WA. School of Nursing, Curtin University of Technology, Bentley, WA.
- November 1997-March 1998: Researcher (Sessional). Performed literature review on project: “Models of best practice for integrating care across the community-hospital interface in Western Australia” (O’Connell, B., Kristjanson, L., Thomas, A., Abbotts, S., Orb, A., Walker, H., Singh, M., Joske, D., Yeun, K. & Colvin, M.). Centre for Nursing Research and Development, Curtin University of Technology, Bentley, WA
- June 1994-August 2002: Study leave MSc and PhD / Maternity leave. School of Nursing and Midwifery, Curtin University of Technology.
- March 1990-June 1994: Research Nurse (Level 2). Department of Nursing Research, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Nedlands, WA.
- January 1994; May 1993; February-April 1992; June-September 1991; December 1990-February 1991: Acting Nurse Researcher (Level 3), Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Nedlands, WA.
- October 1989-Feburary 1990: Registered Nurse (Level 1) General Surgery, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Nedlands, WA
- April 1988-September 1989: Senior Staff Nurse (Grade E) General Surgery, Kettering General Hospital, Northants, UK
- February 1988-March 1988: Staff Nurse General Surgery, Basingstoke District Hospital, Hants, UK
- July 1987-January 1988: Registered Nurse, Working Holiday, Queensland and Victoria
- November 1986-July 1987: Staff Nurse General Surgery, Kettering General Hospital, Northants, UK
- July 1986-October 1986: Staff Nurse Gerontology, The Battle Hospital, Reading, Berks, UK
- November 1985-May 1986: Clinical Research Associate, Chiltern International Ltd (Medical Research), Berks, UK
- Australian Nursing Federation
- Royal College of Nursing Australia
- Psycho-oncology Co-Operative Research Group
- Clinical Oncological Society of Australia
- Cancer Nurses Society of Australia
Awards and Recognition
- 2008 - New Independent Researcher Infrastructure Support Award. Department of Health, Western Australia.
- 2006 - National Institute of Clinical Studies, Evidence into Action Prize awarded for paper, “Using Action Research as a Model of Research Utilisation to Improve Pain Assessment and Management” presented by Anne Williams and Sue Slatyer at the Royal College of Nursing Annual Conference, July, 2006.
- 2006 - Finalist for Nurse/Midwife Researcher of the year. Nurses’ Board of Western Australia.
- 2003 - Award for Excellence for Outstanding Research Supervision. Postgraduate and Honours Student Association, Edith Cowan University.
- 2003 - Chancellor Commendation for PhD thesis, “The contribution of therapeutic interpersonal interactions to the comfort of hospitalised patients. A grounded theory study of the patient’s perspective.”
Research Areas and Interests
- Cancer and Palliative Care
- Psychosocial care
- Wellness of healthcare staff
- Nursing in the acute care hospital setting
- Use of non-pharmacological therapies
- Translating evidence into practice
- Pain management
- Safety and Quality in Nursing
- Psychosocial Care and use of Complementary Therapies
- Cancer and Palliative Care Nursing