Research Areas and Interests
Professor Di Twigg
Head of School
Contact Information Telephone: (61 8) 6304 2400 , Email: email@example.com, Campus: JO, Room: JO21.444,
|Telephone:||(61 8) 6304 2400|
- April 2009–Present : Professor of Nursing, Head of School (Since July 2009)
- June 2008–January 2009: Acting Chief Nursing Officer
- November 2007–March 2009 : Executive Director of Nursing Services, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital incorporating Executive Director of Nursing Services, North Metropolitan Area Health Service from July 2002 - 2005
- December 1995–June 2008 : Executive Director of Nursing Services, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital
- May 1990–March 1994 : Senior Nursing Roles at Sir Charles Gairdner and King Edward Memorial Hospitals
- 1977–1990 : Clinical Practice as Operating Room Nurse, Midwife and Registered Nurse at King Edward Memorial, Royal Melbourne and Bunbury Hospitals
- Royal College of Nursing Australia
- Australian College of Health Service Management
- Council of Deans of Nursing and Midwifery
Awards and Recognition
- Mature Age TEE Awarded: Certificate of Distinction in English
Research Areas and Interests
- Patient outcomes and nursing services
- Development of evidenced based staffing methods
- Safe assimilation of support staff into the clinical workplace
- Patient and staff outcomes in Magnet designated organisations
- Master of Business Administration, Murdoch University .
- Bachelor of Health Sciences hon, Edith Cowan University .
- Doctor of Philosophy, University of Technology, Sydney, 2010 .
Recent Research Grants
- Master Research Program, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Grant, 2013 - 2018, $100,000.
- Impacts of the Orthopaedic Nurse Practitioner Role on the Care of Hip Fracture Patients: Patient and Economic Outcomes (Subproject for G1001207), Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Grant, 2013 - 2016, $7,832.
- Evaluation of Fiona Stanley Hospital Ward Practice Environments from the Perspective of Nurses and Midwives., South Metropolitan Health Service, Grant, 2013 - 2016, $87,798.
- Sponsorship Agreement for Post-Doctoral or Doctoral Fellowship, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Sponsorship, 2013 - 2016, $409,505.
- Sponsorship Agreement for Chair in Clinical Nursing, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Grant, 2010 - 2015, $51,407.
- Review of the Resource Requirements and Model of Care in Rural Health Facilities (Designated Small Hospitals) in Western Australia, Department of Health WA, Grant, 2013, $87,051.
- Evaluation of Strategies to improve the Recognition of and Response to the Deteriorating Patient in Acute Care, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Research Advisory Committee 2012/13 RAC Grant, 2012 - 2013, $49,537.
- Measuring the Effect of Nurse Staffing and Care Delivery Models upon Patient Outcomes (Nursing Sensitive Outcomes) in the Western Australian Acute Care Context, Department of Health WA, Grant, 2010 - 2014, $165,000.
- The impact of adding nursing support workers (Assistants in Nursing) to patient, nurse and system (ward) level outcomes, University of Technology Sydney, UTS - ARC Linkage Projects (Round 2 - 2011), 2011 - 2014, $432,096.
- Midwifery Workforce Plan - Safe Affordable and Sustainable Midwifery Staffing Phase 1 and Phase 2, Department of Health WA, Grant, 2010 - 2013, $36,227.
- Investigating the factors influencing recruitment, retention and transition to workforce of Aboriginal people undertaking nursing studies at an educational centre in Western Australia, Department of Health WA, Grant, 2011, $57,257.
- SIR CHARLES GAIRDNER HOSPITAL SPONSORSHIP OF RESEARCH ASSISTANT ACROSS MULTIPLE PROJECTS, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Grant, 2013, $106,350.
- Impact and Costs of Home-based Trial of Void Case Managed by Advanced Practice Nurse Compared to Day Case Setting, Edith Cowan University, ECU Industry Collaboration Grant - 2012 (Round 1), 2012 - 2013, $140,434.
- Evaluating the Feasibility and Impact of Implementing Ward-based Patient Safety Teams to Improve Patient Outcomes, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, SCGH - Centre for Nursing Research - Grant, 2011 - 2012, $62,599.
- Enhancing Capacity for Quality Simulation "Embedding Simulation in Clinical Training - Improving Efficiency" Program, University of Wollongong, Health Workforce Australia, 2012 - 2013, $39,999.
- Sponsorship Agreement for Post-Doctorial Fellow, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Grant, 2010 - 2013, $137,045.
- The impact of patient, ward and staffing characteristics on nursing-sensitive outcomes - A Pilot Study, WA Nurses Memorial Charitable Trust, Grant, 2011, $33,125.
- The Economic Benefits of Increased Levels of Nursing Staff in the Hospital Setting, Edith Cowan University, ECU Industry Collaboration - Grant, 2010 - 2011, $58,868.
- Staffing for Patient Safety, WA Nurses Memorial Charitable Trust, Grant, 2010, $9,905.
Recent Publications (within the last five years)
- Pugh, J., Twigg, D., Martin, TL., Rai, T., (2012), Western Australia facing critical losses in its midwifery workforce: A survey of midwives' intentions. Midwifery, n/a(n/a), n/a, DOI: 10.1016/j.midw.2012.04.006.
- Twigg, D., Duffield, C., Bremner, A., Rapley, P., Finn, J., (2012), Impact of skill mix variations on patient outcomes following implementation of nursing hours per patient day staffing: a retrospoective study. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 68(12), 2710-2718, USA, DOI: 10.1111/j.1365-2648.2012.05971.x.
- Twigg, D., Duffield, C., Thompson, PL., Rapley, P., (2010), The impact of nurses on patient morbidity and mortality - the need for a policy change in response to the nursing shortage. Australian Health Review, 34(3), 312 -316, Australia, DOI: 10.1071/AH08668.
- Twigg, D., Duffield, C., Bremner, A., Rapley, P., Finn, J., (2010), The impact of the nursing hours per patient day (NHPPD) staffing method on patient outcomes: A retrospective analysis of patient and staffing data. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 48(5), 540-548, New York, DOI: 10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2010.07.013.
- Twigg, D., Duffield, C., (2009), A review of workload measures: A context for a new staffing methodology in Western Australia - Retracted - see note below. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 46(N/A), 131-139, United Kingdom.
- Twigg, D., Duffield, C., (2009), A review of workload measures: A context for a new staffing methodology in Western Australia. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 46(1), 132-140, United Kingdom, DOI: 10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2008.08.005.